Hopeless_addict's 28g nanocube

hopeless_addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a really slow build. I've had other reef aquariums and had an amazing time building them, but this time I want to attempt the art of patience along the way. lol. This will be the greatest challenge for me!

With that, it begins........ The cloud of anticipation!

I'm going with a shallow sand bed for now (about 3/4 - an inch thick). I've got a couple pieces of live rock to start with but will be building that up as I go. I have a layout in mind, so we'll see how closely I stick to it when the time comes.

Attachments

• cloud of anticipation 1-24-15.jpg
    cloud of anticipation 1-24-15.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 188

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your lighting source? I had a JBJ HQI for about 7 years, great tank if you know the tanks limitations.

OP
OP
H

hopeless_addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloud has lifted and everything is looking good. Water test looks great and right on track. :) It's nothin' much to look at yet, but that's ok. In the next week or so, I'll be getting more rock and a starter clean up crew.

Attachments

• 1-26-15.jpg
    1-26-15.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 159

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a good start! Please keep us updated! :)

OP
OP
H

hopeless_addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're absolutely right, Rob! ;-) I didn't realize that so much time has passed already! lol. Thanks so much for checking in with it!

So, everything is still looking good! Water tests are great! Nitrites/Nitrates have leveled out and where they need to be.

I've added about 35 pounds of live rock to what I already had.

I've collected a few more corals (a rainbow stylophora, green star polyps, a frag of mean green chalice, a Mystic Sunset monti, a couple other Monti cap frags, some mushrooms and a few kenya tree frags) and I now have a starter clean up crew (consisting of a turbo snai, 3 Nassarius snails, 3 Astrea snails, 6 Blue leg Hermit crabs, and 1 diamond Goby)

It's been incredibly difficult going so SLOOOOOOOOW, but I'm thrilled with the progress.

The only negative thing I have to say is that the large sea squirt that came attached to my first rock, looks like it's died. :-( I'm not sure what happened there, but it's sad.

I'm still trying to decide what fish to put in it. lol. I'd like something bright! I'm thinking maybe a pair of clowns, a neon goby, and maybe some disbar anthias or a canary blenny or ?? ??. Maybe. lol Thoughts? Ideas?

Attachments

• 2-21-15.jpg
    2-21-15.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Mushrooms and Mystic Sunset.jpg
    Mushrooms and Mystic Sunset.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Rainbow stylophora, green star polyps.jpg
    Rainbow stylophora, green star polyps.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
H

hopeless_addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try it again so we don't hurt our necks. lol

Attachments

• 2-21-15.jpg
    2-21-15.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Mushrooms and Mystic Sunset.jpg
    Mushrooms and Mystic Sunset.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Rainbow stylophora, green star polyps.jpg
    Rainbow stylophora, green star polyps.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
H

hopeless_addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last photo, you can see the chalice in the middle (just left of center). It had been dying back before I got it. I figured I would give it a little time to acclimate in my tank and then might need to trim the dead parts back a bit to help it grow again. It's already looking better than it was when I got it. :-D

Back