Getting back in the game!

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only in the hobby for about 9 months before I had to tear down my tanks and move. I havent had a tank since then, its been about 6 months. I miss keeping fish so I am coming back. Its still going to be a couple months from now but figured I would start researching my new tank now. Unfortunately my budget is still tight so I am going to do a nano tank.

I am torn between 2 tanks, cant decide if I want to go with the 14 gal BioCube which has shown how good it is time and time again (but I think is kind of ugly) or the Cadlights 8g mini which looks so good and seems to have a lot going for it (the LED light that comes with it is supposed to keep most corals very well and Cadlights also sells a mini skimmer and reactor for it.) The BioCube with stand will run me over $350 and the Cadlight with stand should run me about $250-300, shipping unknown.

As for which corals I am going to keep I do not know yet, I still need to look around to see what I want to keep. Depending on the tank I get I might geta small BTA but we will see I know that would be 6ish months after all is up and running.

For the fish I was thinking about a Yellow Clown Goby and maybe a super small (Ive heard them called Nano) black ocellaris clown. I know clowns like a lot of swimming space but I hear/see people keeping ones under 1" in pico tanks all the time. If I go with the BioCube I might add a second black ocellaris.

The cleanup crew will consist on 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 5-8 Astreas, 4-7 Nassarius, and 1-4 Hermits. If more of one or any additional critters should be added let me know! I didnt do exact amounts because that of course will be determined on if I get the 8g or the 14g.

For my salt choice I am thinking of using the hw-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix. After reading reviews I think this is a good choice, a little pricey but all good things in this hobby are.

I do not know yet if I will need a heater or not but if I do I am either going to go with an eheim JAGER TruTemp or the Cobalt Aquatics Easy-Therm Submersible.

I am sure an ATO would be useful as a small amount of evap could cause a massive swing in salinity in such a small tank. I am good with DIY but would prefer to purchase one. I was looking at the Tunze Osmolator Nano but I do not know if it would work well with a nano. If it would need to large a water drop to turn on or not.

I was thinking about goin with live sand this time to potentially speed up the process but at a quick view at the LFS I did not see any of the type of sand I like. Very small grains and white is what I prefer. For the rock I am thinking about dry rock as I did in the past but live already has coraline on it sometimes and I would like that to add to the looks in the early stages of the tank.

As for the flow I am not sure if there will be enough already I guess I will find out after its up and running. In the 8g I feel the water pump will be enough but for the 14g it probably wouldnt. I will look into it as that point comes closer.

If anyone has any tips, questions, or just wants to say hello im usually on for an hour or so a day.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm slow at work and have been looking at corals. Most of my research for this tank has been at work actually lol. Anyways I think I am going to go with a soft coral tank with maybe a piece of SPS here and there. The list of candidates are as follows:
Kenya Tree
Blue Sympodium
Plythoa Kaledioscope
DreamSicle Paly
Red People Eater Paly
Yellow Jacket Paly
Blue Ricordea Florida
Dark Green Ricordea Yuma
Candy Apple Zoas
Fire & Ice Zoas
Lord of The Rings Zoas
Purple Acropora - possibility
Orange Fanta Australian Acan - possibility
Orange Crush Mushroom - possibility

Those are all from reefs2go. This is just a list of what I saw I liked not necessarily all going into the tank. Let me hear what ya think!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back