Essential and non-essential equipment for beginning reef keeper

Dreamreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking on the forums for a couple months and it seems that you all are a happily helpful bunch. Hopefully all you practiced reef keepers will share your wisdom with this beginner.

I have the plans for my forthcoming 75 gallon tank pretty much put together. However, I am a little unclear as to what equipment is and is not essential for the beginning reef keeper.

Like I mentioned, I am going to be doing a 75 gallon build. I am building a sump/refugium out of a 40B tank. I plan on using at least 80 pounds of live rock. Plans are in place for the protein skimmer, heater, ato, 6 bulbs of T5HO and an RODI unit.

This is where I become unsure as to what is essential. I read all over the place about calcium reactors, gfo reactors, Kalk reactors and other such equipment.

Obviously, since I'm new to this I plan to stick to keeping animals that would be classified as easy to keep and on the beginners level. No SPS. The plan at the beginning and for a decent while would be things like soft corals and LPS.

So, other than the things I am already planning on what other equipment would you all classify as must have for the newbie with the previously defined plan?

Thanks in advance for any advice and wisdom you share. Willing and eager to learn.

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For easy beginner corals, sounds like you're good to go. Just need to add powerhead/wavemaker to the list

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes flow is very important. Check out Tunze, EchoTech, Jebao and Koralia. Going for quality truly pays off in the long run. 5yrs reefing and I've yet to have to replace any piece of equipment due to shoddy manufacturing.
As for reactors, those will come if needed over time, once you learn your tank. A good quality Reef Test Kit is a must.
Are you sure you want that much rock? Have you looked at other different tanks that use less/more?

The best advice I can give is to research everything! Talk it out with others here. Do not let your LFS make suggestions for you unless you trust them 100%, keep in mind they survive on sales :) We haven't that motive.
Learn patience! Your going to need a LOT of those-lol.

Good luck and happy reefing :)

OP
OP
Dreamreefer

Dreamreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am, at this point, only planning on that much rock because of much of what I have read recommends a pound to a pound and a half per gallon. Is this incorrect data?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget a Refractometer!
Very important. Forget using those cheap hydrometers.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am, at this point, only planning on that much rock because of much of what I have read recommends a pound to a pound and a half per gallon. Is this incorrect data?

With all the available filtration options and most importantly the use of a sump/refugium the pound to gallons ratio is a bit ole school. Beneficial bacteria lives on/in everything.
Personally I went with the minimalist look. 25# in my 40B DT & 3# in my fuge area :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dreamreefer

Dreamreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, since being challenged on this plan and asking the question I have been reading a ton on the appropriate use of live rock and I have amended my plan.

At this point I'm thinking something like 45 to 50 pounds of live rock in the tank and some in the refugium along with a sand bed.

Any personal preferences on the use of a sand bed in a refugium? How deep?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back