Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got a ne 40 gallon breeder tank from the $1 per gallon sale at Petco. I will be transferring my current 38 gallon into this for dimensional purposes. Also to get a little different rock scape. I will be doing away with some of my current coral to make room for some SPS's. I have been busy working on the stand here lately. I almost have it done. I still have to drill the tank and plumb it. Here is where I am at now.

zekac3sl.jpg

tAB7cCkl.jpg

H68DGA2l.jpg

Also I am trying to decide on white or black for the stand.

BattlestarGalaxia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice craftsmanship on the stand! I'd go with white personally. It's a little easier imo for white to blend with a room than black. It will also hide slat build up a little easier. Good luck with the upgrade.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I will be tagging along! Your 38 looks great! :)

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank drilled finally! Reused the bits that I used on my 38. Gonna be plumbing it the same exact way using the 'herbie method'. Bulkheads are in place. Just gotta paing the back glass and stand, then do some plumbing.

fxo4cUO.jpg

fWEU7pM.jpg

Y0dNlJb.jpg

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also traded in my galaxea coral and some frags for my sand. I was looking for the special grade reef sand but ran into this flamingo reef sand. Same size (1-2mm diameter grains). It has the coloration of the figi pink which I like the look of. I got 45 lbs of it, that should do good in a 36'x18' I believe. Can't wait t get this tank going!

XKyrAdh.jpg

(Not my photo. I actually don't see any of thoe real big pieces in my bags, but we will see.)
TmagEgI.jpg

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand complete! (sorry for all the low quality cell photos. I'll start breaking out the camera here soon)

M9djy1f.jpg

AEm7CkI.jpg

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on the stand! I wish I had your carpentry skills :)

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the 40 is up and running and the 38 is gone! I've been really busy during the transition of it all. I still have to rescape everything, I just wanted to make sure everything settled in nicely which it appears that it has. The footprint of this tank is SO MUCH better than my old 38. Here are some photos of the process.

Oh boy...
jE75ecRl.jpg

Had to switch the gate valve to the other drain, wasn't paying attention I guess.
2jlXt10l.jpg

The sump is OUT!
m1h19rzl.jpg

Last of the 38! (was using the old T5's because I put the 40 in its place)
AAbEm8Ql.jpg

Farewell, it's been a great pleasure...
0FQLCH5l.jpg

Hello 40! (just got everything in)
CI9vyyu.jpg

The day after the big transition (everything surprisingly mostly open)
9Vp3fzI.jpg

New FTS! (still have to rescape it all, this is just how I placed it into he cloudy water)
X8ipbvB.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I got rid of my yellow chrysus wrasse while I had the chance to catch it (in an empty tank, which still proved to be difficult!). I ended up getting a rainfordi goby and a green tabling acro frag of some sort (my first acro!). Here are the new additions.

Tabling Acro
o7OQgDa.jpg

5Y9EE4w.jpg

Rainfordi Goby
JMrvYAg.jpg

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Is that your fish in your avatar? Awesom marking on that clown!

I wish, it belongs to a LFS here in Knoxville. The amazing part is the "X" is on both sides at the exact same location.

OP
OP
Paul87

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media reactor (rowaphos), smart wave controller, and 15 more pounds of sand added. Everything running smoothly. Just gotta get this rockscape the way I want it. I did move things around the other day, but still not the way I want it. Not gonna mount any of those zoas and things on the sand until I have it right. Rainfordi goby has been hiding a lot, I found his hidey hole. I hope he pulls though. Here is a quick cell pic of my tank now. I'll get some better quality ones once I have it the way I want, or mostly anyways.

ubaQRBV.jpg

BVewuww.jpg

Back