ReelRednekReefers 90g build!

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to R2R and have already learned some very valuable information relevant to my situation. So I figured I would start a build thread for my newest build! It started with a trip to the LFS for some LR to seed coralline in my current tank that resulted in bringing home a new Mainland 90g Corner-Flo! The sump will be a 40B Ive had in the shop. I grabbed it at a Petco dollar sale cuz.....never know when you'll need a 40B. Right?
My financial advisor used the term "toilet bowl" when referencing my expenditures in relation to this hobby! I replied ":lalala:"

Got it home and painted the back and bottom that night!

IMG_1497.jpg

Cut out a footprint of the tank from scrap plywood to build the rock structures.
Used WaterWeld to create 7 pieces that interlock together. It only contacts the floor
at 9 points so detritus won't collect. Will probably be adding some more rock ti fill in but his is the base thus far.

IMG_1507.jpg

Built the stand structure from 2x4's for base and legs ( 3 at each corner and braced in the center) and 2x6 for top. Capped with 3/4 plywood for tank and sump to sit on. 2 coats of white latex will improve visibility and conceal salt spray in the sump area once skinned. Made it 42" tall to make maintenance easier and ability to add a settling tank fashioned from a conical bottom, full drain poly tank.

IMG_1508.jpg

Doors for stand. Sides will be skinned and trimmed the same. Some stain and several coats of poly should protect the stand for a long time.

IMG_1512.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 449
OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to try the Acid bath/ lanthanum chloride treatment after reading it on this forum.
Had a heavy coat of green/brown algae from previous tanks.

1:20 ratio acid:water overnight
IMG_1514.jpg

After bath

IMG_1515.jpg

After rinsing

IMG_1517.jpg

Next time i would do a bleach bath first to remove all the color first. But since the rock turned out really good, just had a tinge of brown on some rocks I decided to do the bleach soak next. If this had been "new" base rock don't think bleach would be necessary.

After having to deal with removing rock without dissolving my skin I decided to scavenge some spare parts to make a drain on my tub.

IMG_1518.jpg

So now the rock will sit in a 1:10 bleach bath for a few hours. Then rinse, soak in RO with dechlorinator, ( probably twice) and then start lanthanum chloride process.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum chloride at 1cup per 10gallons RO water after 1 hour.

According to what I've read it's supposed to be cloudy.

image.jpg

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 24hrs water still a little cloudy bust most precipitate has settled and rock had a dusting that came of with a quick rinse of RO water.

IMG_1520.jpg

This is what is left after rock is removed

IMG_1521.jpg

Still no clouding an hour after rinsing, refilling with RO water and adding 2cups LC with PH's running.
Assuming most phosphates have already precipitated.

IMG_1524.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 411
OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was explained to me by cee my 2nd dose of lanthanum chloride resulted in no precipitate. Just about a tablespoon of sand even after dunking/rinsing 90b of rock in RO water!
IMG_1526.jpg

I assume this means that the LC has removed all the available surface PO4 from the rock. I will let it soak in pure RODI for a few days then mix up some saltwater, drop in a heater, dose some bacterial additive and pure ammonia then let it cycle in the tub. Once it has cycled I can "cook" it until I'm ready to put it in the tank.

Gonna leave a piece or two out of the "cooking" process. Wanna try a little 10 gallon with couple small fish and soft coral just to compare the "uglies" of the acid/LC process with that of cooking afterward. I know what just bleach bathed rock uglies look like. This little experiment will just put to rest some of my questions of both processes....and give me an excuse to start a nano again!

Anyone already do this? Do you prefer one process over the other?

Do i need to jumpstart a cycle with the bacteria and ammonia to cook the rock?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the stand! Good luck with the build! :)

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day we will have a seahorse tank! I hear they are quite delicate. Wanna get better at keeping hardy sea life first.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, is "cooking" necessary after using this method? It has been stated that the acid may have actually released more P04 ( until the calcium carbonate crystalizes and binds the P04 anyway) It is also said that the LC only removes P04 from the water column. Pool stores say it removes it form concrete in pools, the water the filter... everything! They say it will leech p04 after it becomes live again.

1. Should I start a "cycle" via bacteria additive and ammonia source in the tub and let the rock cook for 2+ months, and then put in tank and cycle again?
OR
2. Let it dry out until my tank is ready and then start tank as I would with new dry rock?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, is "cooking" necessary after using this method? It has been stated that the acid may have actually released more P04 ( until the calcium carbonate crystalizes and binds the P04 anyway) It is also said that the LC only removes P04 from the water column. Pool stores say it removes it form concrete in pools, the water the filter... everything! They say it will leech p04 after it becomes live again.

1. Should I start a "cycle" via bacteria additive and ammonia source in the tub and let the rock cook for 2+ months, and then put in tank and cycle again?
OR
2. Let it dry out until my tank is ready and then start tank as I would with new dry rock?

Cooking the rock after acid washing is not usually necessary.

Both 1 and 2 should work fine, so whatever seems most convenient. 1 would get the tank up and running faster.

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I have good news and bad news. Good news- I have been offered a promotion that I will likely accept! Bad news- It involves a move to Texas and this build will have to be put on hold.:cry:

At least I hadn't started the cycle yet. I suppose its the easiest point to put a reef tank on hold...... Ill be back once I get settled in.

I think I have a problem though..... when we started looking at houses I looked up water quality reports so I could calculate RO filter efficiency and I tossed my TDS meter in my pack so I can test the water at each location......

Hello, I am a reefaholic. In training anyway...

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm baaaack!!

Flash forward 7 weeks and 1200 miles west. I now live in Texas and after five days of unpacking and situating everything in the new house just so to the satisfaction of an OCD wife.... I can now think about completing this build.:bigsmile:

Just ordered 2 gate valves, a check valve and Gyre 150:bounce:
Hope to finish plumbing and testing this weekend!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back