Deftronix 100g rimless build

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Wanted to get a build thread started to help me out with my latest adventure into reefing. New here, but there is such a great wealth of knowledge contained within, I thought this would be a great place to start one to get the best help/advise possible throughout the build.

Current components:

CAD Lights 2015 100G Artisan (47.5x23.5x20) - Tank, stand, and glass covers only
Trigger Systems Ruby Elite 36 Sump (36x18x15)
Vertex Omega 180i Protein Skimmer
Eheim 1262
Neptune APEX
2 x Radion XR30w G3 Pro w/ short rail, hanging kit
2 x Vortech MP10
2 x Avast MR5 Media Reactor
2 x Vertex Libra Vessel 2.5Tall - 2.5L
BRS dosing pump
Finnex 300w ti heater

Cabinet Mods:
First thing is to mod out the cabinet before anything big goes in and to keep me sane while I wait for the plumbing. Cut a drop ceiling out of 3/8" plywood for cable management and to house most of the electronics. When closed, all excess wire and electronics should stay hidden and safe. Magnetic switches placed in each door corner will be wired to 3 x 1w 120 degree LED flood's recessed into the drop ceilling and go on/off automatically. The 4 holes near the back are for desk hole covers for cable management. The 3 holes up front right are for 3 x vandal push button led switches (master switch for cabinet lights, cabinet fan, drop ceilling fan). It will have hinges in the back, swing down from the top and will use embedded magnets up front to keep it closed.

20150322_171856_resized.jpg

Also want to experiment with 1.5" eggcrate black foam and painting it with plastidip. I know it works well in other environments but dont know if it will become brittle and flake over time due to the saltwater. Anybody ever try this? I want to cover all vertical surfaces with the stuff to have the quietest setup possible. Also got a 3/8" - 36"x18" sheet of neoprene to go under the sump to isolate the whole thing.

Anyway, just wanted to get the thread started. More pics/updates to come.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the build! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following and welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
D

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated guys, looking forward to getting it wet but don't want to rush things and make sure I have all bases covered since this is my first build from the ground up.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Painted the drop ceiling black and started the kit out. Cut some blank panels to glue the sound deadening to when it arrives. MP10's will have to do for now until I can swap them out for some MP40QD's! (sorry for the pics, terrible time to try to take pics of details where everything is black)

4.jpg

Also mounted the Radions to the ceiling and apex controller to the wall. Love how streamlined the lights look ceiling mounted but wish the rails were a little nicer and had a method of routing the cable better, I may build my own down the road like some others have done.

Next purchase will be the Neptune DOS for 2 part to start off with until I decide if I want to go to Ca reactor because I'm still on the fence and have no experience with them. Research reveals such mixed opinions, I love the equipment/setup aspect of this hobby so would feed my tinkering nature and the more that can be automated the better but is it worth the risks to the reef? I was eyeing the Vertex RX-C 6D but cant really find any reviews on it, would be nice to hear from someone who has one.

MR5 reactors should be here today which is important to get proper height for hard plumbing all return lines and also waiting on some sound deadening and metric/standard couplers to start lining this thing out.

More updates to come after sound proofing so I can get the sump in..

OP
OP
D

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sicce syncra pro 1000 or 1500?

Thanks RBW! Its too bad its not deep enough to house the powerstrip/EB8 with most plugs, it would have really kept it clean. I didnt want to take up anymore headroom though and also wanted to keep the drop ceiling flush with the rest of the frame so just mounted it up in the corner.
PlumbingSchematic.jpg

Little update today - Made up a plumbing schematic to make sure I am not going to be missing any parts when the time comes to start glueing. If you guys could let me know if you see anything that might give me a potential issue I would really appreciate it. I did not have much choice as far as bulkheads and what will fit in the tight overflow design so im stuck using some metric/standard adapters to fit the metric bulkheads. Also didnt design any check valves into the system as the sump will be setup to accept the extra "off" volume. There are less unions than id like in the plan but had to take a few out due to space limitations. Looking forward to this bill! :neutral:

Also wanted to get a recommendation from you guys on which pump I should go with, taking the schematic into account. Wanted to try one of the new Sicce syncra pro but didnt know if I should stick with 1000gph or go with the 1500gph model? Would the 1500 be overkill or would it work well since a fuge, 2 x reactors and most likely chiller will be running off of it. What do you guys think??

OP
OP
D

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing mock-up

Ended up sending the eheim 1262 back and went with the Sicce Syncra Pro 1500 so it would give me enough flow for the manifold/return because I was worried about flow rates. Considering how loose the intake cover fits to the main body of the pump, I am not impressed, shouldn't affect performance though. You would think that "designed to pair high performance with absolute silence and efficiency." would at least mean start with the basics of having a housing that doesn't rattle ?? :squigglemouth: So sick of marketing BS these days!

Mocked up all the pluming up with an exception of a few things due to some plan changes and space limitations. Will be using flex tubing to the reactors instead, should make it easier for removal/maintenance. Waiting on some 1 1/4" elbows to finish up the drain side as well. Still trying to find a happy medium on the height of the manifold to allow for workable access of the fuge as well as have enough clearance to work in the drop ceiling. This sump would really be perfect for a peninsula build where you have access to both sides! The difficult access to the fuge will be worth it because it is designed to be able to have a separate flow rate from the rest of the sump unlike most sumps with built in fuges, where they are usually inline but have much better/more accessible placement. If you guys have any recommendations on improving the design/layout please share.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't need bubble towers with the Herbie, and you shouldn't put elbows in it - unless your planning to run it as durso (sorry if I missed this detail). To me, your losing a lot of space from the schd 80 PVC fittings size. I can shoot some detailed pics of my plumbing if you'd like to see (same tank/stand). Some less detailed pics in my build thread.

Love the hidden tray with the Apex.

OP
OP
D

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dex!

Sangheili, your feedback is much appreciated. Will definitely take your advise and remove the bubble tower plan from the equation as I was second guessing it to begin with. I tend to over think/engineer things before actually trying them out. As far as the schedule 80 fittings, they sure do! 6 gate valves doesn't help much either! Send over the pics and log link, would love to check them out! Thanks again.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMed you some plumbing pics. Only thing I don't really recommend is that particular gate valve on the drain side. I upsized the pipe and the gate valve is not accurate enough with just a small being too much of an adjustment. Makes setting the Herbie a real pain. Go with a gate valve the same size as the original downpipe and get a super smooth quality one.

OP
OP
D

Deftronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to send over those extra pics, gives me a few ideas. Pretty invested in the sch 80 at this point so going to continue with it and hopefully will have enough space and access. I really didnt want to see pics of your bad *** fish room though because it has left me wanting to do one, great job!

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to send over those extra pics, gives me a few ideas. Pretty invested in the sch 80 at this point so going to continue with it and hopefully will have enough space and access. I really didnt want to see pics of your bad *** fish room though because it has left me wanting to do one, great job!

Glad I could help! :peace:

Bmatthall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I was hoping to see one of these guys up and running. I'm on the fence about the same setup.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but I love this setup and wanted to do something like it with my Cadlight 125 build. Are you still around to give some updates?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back