RonDeVoo's Dream Tank 110G

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,
I've been reef keeping for about 5 years now and I've always wanted a bigger tank. My previous set up was a AGA 65G which had a depth of 18". This really wasn't enough considering they type of aquascapes I enjoy. I've decided to take the plunge and go for my dream set up! It will fit in an alcove on the second floor of my town home. I really enjoy a contemporary feel so this aquarium will reflect that. I'm going to post up some pictures at the bottom of this post but first I'll list my equipment and plan.

The List:
--CAD Lights custom 1/2 inch starphire euro braced 110G, ordered through my LFS. Dimensions are 44x24x24.
--The sump is also CAD lights, 36x18x12, it has 4 chambers.
--I will build the stand and canopy with the help of family and friends. Its going to 44x44x24, I want the display to be eye level for most viewers.
I'm 6'3" So I may have to step back a little to stand comfortably. Honestly I'll be in the tank more than looking anyways!
--The canopy will be 44x20x24 with a custom hinge that pulls the door out and up away from the tank. This will be tricky since my tank will be built into an alcove.
-- I'm going to use a Eheim 1262 for my return pump. I've only read great things about their pumps and for my size tank it was the most recommended in my Google research.
It will be a 1" return line that will split at the overflow for two separate locline nozzles. I'm weird and picky with flow so I'll make sure to have lots of slack to adjust where I want water movement.
-- I'll be running a Two Little Fishes media reactor and a Coralife UV sterilizer off of the Eheim return pump. They will have their own shut off valves to control flow and make maintenance easier. I really wanted to have one pump that fed all of my equipment so I could lower power consumption, routine maintenance, and stress.
-- My skimmer was a hard choice but I decided, after much consideration, to go for the Bubble Magus Curve 5. I am so excited to get a quality cone style skimmer!
-- The heater will be a Eheim 250w.
-- My dosing system is an off brand called Marine Magic. It is very precise with its dosing and has kept my previous 65g and current 30g tank parameters consistent. I will be using this until it dies. I've had it running for almost 2 1/2 years and the only maintenance needed has been changing out the tubing because it gets salt creep.
--My options for additional flow are very limited. I have about a 1/2' on either side of the tank from the wall. I wanted to run a couple vortech pumps but they require more space. I though about cutting into my dry wall to make room when I discovered the Maxspect Gyre. The total space needed for the magnet on the outside of the aquarium is only .5"!! I was more than thrilled to find this pump days before committing to cutting the walls!
-- Lighting was probably the hardest decision of all. I wanted something reliable, consistent, controllable, bright, cool, etc. I've been using T-5 and LED since I started reef keeping, but always the cheap stuff. With a build like this I wasn't about to use cheap stuff! I read review after review, article after article. I watched videos and comparisons. I probably spent 24+Hrs doing research on lights. It came down to two LED products, which you could probably guess which they are. Ecotech G3 and Aqua Illumination Hydra 52 series. I was still on a budget when considering both of these amazing lighting systems. I was originally planning on running one light in the middle of the tank, 12-16" above the water line. After contemplating this choice, I instead determined that I wanted two lights. I had a problem because two of either brand rings in over $1,000. I wanted to budget $1,000 or less on lighting, which is ambitious. I noticed AI also made a little brother to the 52, the Hydra 26. I was looking at the PAR values for the 26 and they were impressive. I will arrange the lights so they get maximum coverage at probably 8-10" above the water line.
ai_par_hydra_vs_h26-620x434.jpg

Longs story short, I bought two Hydra 26's and their director for $700!

Okay, okay, ok... enough reading, here are some pictures!

The stand frame.
IMG_6885.jpg

Perfect fit!
IMG_7249.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I had to build the hinge frames. Like I said above I love contemporary style so I want the stand to look really flush with straight lines.

This was my inspiration.
IMG_6776.JPG

Left side.
IMG_6932.jpg

Right side.
IMG_6933.jpg

Bottom right.
IMG_6934.jpg

Bottom left.
IMG_6935.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a trip to the HD and found a close out hardwood floor that looked like it would work perfect for my doors and canopy!
We shall see!
IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6977.jpg

I used an exterior latex paint that is highly resistant to weather and can flex a little bit with out cracking.
IMG_6980.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

I used microfiber mini rollers for the MDF and cheap white wash brushes for the rest.

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the tank from my LFS about 3 weeks after i ordered it. There was a little chip in the eurobrace, back left corner. I was initially upset but I got such an amazing deal through my LFS that I really couldn't complain.

IMG_6992.jpg

The test fit was a success.
IMG_6991.jpg

This part kind of sucked. I did not realize the sump wouldn't fit into the stand until I tried to put it in! Word from the wise, don't forget about your sump fitting. I had to take apart the stand and put the sump in, then but the top back on the stand.
IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6994.jpg

In the meantime I started gluing the doors together to get them started.
IMG_6995.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7016.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_7024.jpg

IMG_7015.jpg

I had to get creative with the return line. CAD Lights drilled a hole for a 1" bulkhead and I had to DIY a system that wouldn't look ugly.
IMG_7023.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the doors all glued and secured with a 2 1/2" piece of white MDF on each side of the door. They didn't come out completely square, and I suffered some frustrations figuring out how to make them sit level. Luckily my Father in law is a genius and helped me square them up in no time.
IMG_6998.jpg

IMG_6997.jpg

IMG_6996.jpg

All squared up.
IMG_7013.jpg

I wasn't about to make the same mistake on the canopy as I did with the doors so I used some clamps to make sure the planks dried evenly and tightly.
IMG_7026.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to stain the wood so I used a Minwax clear sealer. I went for the glossy to give the wood some life. It turned out well and pictures don't do it justice.
IMG_7020.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7022.jpg

My original canopy idea didn't pan out. I didn't like how the wood went all the way to the walls... I quickly decided (like 10 seconds after putting the canopy front up on the tank) I needed to add the same 2 1/2" white MDF on each side to help tie it in with the rest of the stand.
IMG_7028.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate bottom.
IMG_7035.jpg

I went with some stainless steel handles.
IMG_7034.jpg

This was one of my favorite parts of the tank. Plumbing is fun! I was told that 45 degree elbows are best after I was already done.
IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7031.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to make sure to get everything measured perfect for this part. I wanted the canopy to close flush with the front of the tank and cabinet. I also wasn't going to put a piece of white MDF underneath the canopy but instead leave a 2 1/2" gap to give the illusion that the canopy is floating. I used some MDF and cut out slots for my Hydra 26's. I put acrylic splash guards on the under side to keep everything nice and dry.

IMG_7066.jpg

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7079.jpg

This hinge that was being installed was a pain! It took about 4 1/2 hours. Its called the Blum Aventos HL hinge.
IMG_7073.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so that is pretty much where I'm at right now. I spoke with my home builder and where I have the tank is a non load barring wall. I have to reinforce my floor before I fill this majestic tank up! Its killing me slowly... Its been almost 3 weeks with now water!! I could have almost been cycled by now =) As soon as I get water, sand and rock in this beast I'll start doing the polishing touches. I want to let the stand settle a little bit before I cut things too tall, deep, or long.
Thanks for reading and I love feedback! Reefsafe!

Tearing out the ceiling in my garage to determine what is needed for reinforcement.
IMG_7181.jpg

This is how it sits for now.
IMG_7250.jpg

profile shots to show the straight uniform line from the top to the bottom.
IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7252.jpg

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - Here is the video for the hinge I used on the canopy!

[video=youtube;2LXVdfJPrzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LXVdfJPrzI[/video]

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diggin' the canopy hinge! Great craftsmanship all around man.

I recommend ditching the eggcrate. Ive never seen a modern tank crack from the rock and the eggcrate seems like it would be a massive pain to deal with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diggin' the canopy hinge! Great craftsmanship all around man.

I recommend ditching the eggcrate. Ive never seen a modern tank crack from the rock and the eggcrate seems like it would be a massive pain to deal with.

thank you!
I could see the egg crate being annoying if the sand revealed it. What other reasons should I consider it not worth it?

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you!
I could see the egg crate being annoying if the sand revealed it. What other reasons should I consider it not worth it?

Off the top of my head: Most believe that white eggcrate leeches phosphate. Fish that burrow will hate it (Jawfish, Wrasses, Gobies, etc). It can make vacuuming the bottom more of a pain.

OP
OP
LEDSIXTYFIVE

LEDSIXTYFIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head: Most believe that white eggcrate leeches phosphate. Fish that burrow will hate it (Jawfish, Wrasses, Gobies, etc). It can make vacuuming the bottom more of a pain.
ahhh... Thank you, I do want a couple burrowing fish! Also, no phosphates for me!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back