Reef6414 90 Gallon In Wall Build/ Diary

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R! This is my first post. I have been scouring the forums for a few weeks now and I officially have gotten bit by the reef bug again. (I had a 46gal mixed reef several years ago.) We recently moved into a new home and the only thing missing is my own little slice of the ocean. The previous home owners converted a small office into a gigantic master walk in closet (12'x 10'). My loving wife has agreed to part with half of "her room" and allow me to commander half the closet for an in-wall tank. The display will look into our living room for all to enjoy.

I have a deposit on a 90 gal reef ready tank which I will pick up this afternoon from the LFS. I like documenting my projects with photos and this will be a great place to share them, rather than store on my I-Phone. to kick things off, here are a few photos of the closet: before, after removal/moving of shelving units, and a pic of the main display wall.

I hope to grow in the hobby and share my progress along the way. Thank you all in advance for your comments, constructive criticism, and allowing me the opportunity to share!

IMG_7926.jpg
IMG_7928.jpg
IMG_7930.jpg
IMG_7931.jpg
IMG_7933.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started Demo tonight, ran into a bit of a surprise. When they enclosed the room, the contractor sistered the studs to make an even 18" on center. Not a big deal, just an extra stud to deal with.
IMG_7947.jpg

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life hits again! just got our first water bill...$500!!! Gotta get leak detection out this week and see what the heck we are looking at. Gonna hold off on punching through the wall until I know what the finances are looking like. :frusty:

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking there is a leak between the meter and the house. Find out tomorrow morning. I found my inner child and mocked up the tank tonight!
IMG_7949.jpg

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak was outside, main line from street to house. I'm so thankful that it was something I could fix myself. So after an evening of trench digging, and brushing up on my PVC skills, I am happy to report the leak is FIXED! Now on to more important things. Tonight....stand build!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! I like your drawing! Welcome and I am following!

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Stand looked good until I dry fitted the tank. A main support 2x4 was directly under the drilled holes in my overflow...oops! Anyway, after re-working the stand some, the tank fits well. The display side of the wall was cut and is looking good. I plan on going to Petco for their $1 per gallon sale and picking up a 30-40 gal tank to serve as my sump. Just waiting for my RODI unit to arrive in the mail! I hope to have the plumbing done before it arrives.

I'm also in the process of painting the back and two sides black. I am using a "chalk paint" for the back for a makeshift board so I can keep notes on tank parameters, feedings, etc.

As expected, the hole in the wall is slightly larger than the tank. Before I add the decorative trim, I was thinking of shooting some "great stuff" insulation foam around the borders to fill this gap. 1. to help with light seepage from the closet/fish room, and 2. for noise cancellation. Any thoughts or suggestions?

As for the sump, I am going a slightly different route, rather than glass baffles, etc. I am going to stock up on base rock and build walls out of the rock to make my various chambers and reduce micro-bubbles. Anyone else have success with this?

My phone is on the charger. I'll post updated pics ASAP. Thanks in advance for your input!

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI and pumps should arrive in the mail tomorrow. I finished the display side of the wall, stand is structurally built. I figured I could make it pretty during the water cycle. I'm taking my time with equipment purchasing. I still need to pick up a sump and return pump, skimmer, and light fixture.

Question for the forum: Best value dry/base rock per lb on the internet?

Here are a few update pics:

IMG_7959.jpg
IMG_7961.jpg

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BRS order came in today! RODI, small maxi jet, and a bucket of salt. Absolutely love all the hook up options that came with the RO unit...so many options!

I now have the "water factory" hooked up. ready to add water and start mixing salt, I'll be getting some sand and base rock soon. Taking it slow and enjoying the build!

Now it's time to sit back and watch Famous Jamis Winston become a Buccaneer!

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got about 50lbs of base rock and 40lbs of live sand today, I need to hurry up and finish my DYI sump so I can add the rest of my water/rock and sand!

Salties Diner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good 6414! Lucky man to have your wife give up her walk in robe, looks like the perfect spot. How long before it becomes a dedicated fish room? Ha!

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 30 gallon Rubbermaid Sump:

IMG_7997.jpg

Not the prettiest thing out there but I believe it will do the job nicely. ***drilling tip**** if you drill counter clockwise the bit will not grab the plastic so hard and make for a nice clean hole. (I learned this about half way though).

Made of a 30 gallon heavy duty rubbermaid container and double drawer rubbermaid storage unit to serve as my mechanical filtration and bubble trap:

IMG_7992.jpg
IMG_7994.jpg
IMG_7995.jpg
IMG_7996.jpg
IMG_7998.jpg

OP
OP
reef6414

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good 6414! Lucky man to have your wife give up her walk in robe, looks like the perfect spot. How long before it becomes a dedicated fish room? Ha!
Thanks! I sure am, this room was what sold her on the house lol. Although not "planned" (to her knowledge anyway) it will be an all out fish room within the year!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back