Dave's 80 Gallon Growing reef..

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping a SW tank since November 2001. I came into the hobby with zero experience in SW, only about 6 months in FW. I went to the my LFS and made a lot of mistakes. I didn't find out about forums til february of 2002. I was the typical rookie and I still am. I bought a complete system from my LFS and probably ways overpaid. My first system consisted of a 80 gallon Jebo(glass with rounded corners) with a stand and a very weak power compact system. I had no idea what i was doing so i paid the store set it up for me. Turboflotor 1000 skimmer(POJ) and a Rio return with rios in DT for circulation. Even after it was set up, i was clueless as to how it was set up. He was very "cavalier" in his approach to SW tank keeping. He sold me about 4-5 different corals day 1, including a dyed pink leather, a goniopora and a few others. Needless to say they are no longer with us, either is the cleaner shrimp he put in. Matter of fact only the purple tang he slod me a month later is still in my tank. With the help of Reef Forums, I learned my mistake and made some changes to my initial setup about 6-12 months later.
I upgraded my lighting to a canopy with my current setup of 2x175w mh on a magnetic ballast(still using same ballast) and 2x65w PC 03 Actinics. I also replaced the rios with a mag 12 for the return and 2 mj 1200s in the DT. I also raised my sandbed from 2-3" to 4-6". Then did tons of research. I kept it nice, but not fully stocked(Maybe 10-15 corals total) and 4-5 fish at a time tops.
In 2005, i moved a couple times and lost pretty much everything in one way or another except my purple tang and a maroon clown. I kind of lost interest and the only maintenance i did was feed the 2 fish, changed the bulbs when they died and clean the front and right side glass until this past May. Now the real story begins.
In May, I replaced my turboflotor with a Vertex IN-100 skimmer and love it. Way better quality and pulls way more gunk from the tank. Also I upgraded my MJ 1200s with the 1600/2100 mod kits I got new test kits and my amm and nitrites were still zero, but my nitrates were 100+. I immediately did a 50% WC, vacuuming the sump and the top layer of the DSB. My levels still didn't seem to move. With some research and the process of elimination, it was decided the DSB was the problem, so i decided to remove it. I did 10 gallons WC twice a week to start, siphoning out a small section of the sandbed. Eventually, it was down to 1-2" with a small section about 5x10" barebottom. Meanwhile I started dosing vodka. I was able to get my nitrates down to 20 and po4 to .5 this way. I slow me WC to once a week. My goal was no3 under 10 and po4 undetectable, so I tried a product i got as a free sample at IE-CFM in SoCal. Big mistake. While the product itself may have been fine, mixed with vodka, i got a terrible bacterial bloom. My levels jumped up to 40 and 1 respectively so i was ticked. I stopped dosing everything and increased the WC. My levels have since gone down to under 10 with salifert or 10-20 with API. The po4 is still there at .5 but that is acceptable to me. I plan to get a reactor when i go back to work in january, or shortly thereafter.
My goal is to have the whole bottom 3/4 of my LR covered in Zoas/palys the sand in the front with 5-10 LPS, mostly acans and the top of the rock with 4-5 SPS, probably a Cap or 2, a few digitatas and 1 prize Acropora.
More to come, including pictures, just wanted to give a short(LOL) history of ME and my experience or lack of. thanks for reading...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, since I probably lost most of you in the first post, here are my current Tank Specs:
80 Gallon Jebo Glass Aquarium 48wx18dx21h
30 Gallon Sump
Drilled 2" PVC Overflow
Filtration:
Vertex IN-100 Skimmer
110 lbs Live Rock
Lighting:
2x175w 20k MH(currently using Blue Life SPS Bulbs, don't ask)
2x65w Power Compact 03 True Actinic
Circulation:
Mag 12 Return pump 1200 GPH
Coralvue 102b High Seas 1250 GPH
MaxiJet 1200 modded to 1600 GPH
Current Livestock:
Fish:
1 Purple Tang (Ms.Nasty)
Pair of Black Ocellaris Clowns (Black & White)
1 Lyretail Anthias (Sunshine)
1 Canary Wrasse (Yellow Man)
1 Diamond Watchmen Goby (Bull)
CUC:(Inverts)
10-20 Redlegged Hermit Crabs
50+ Nassarius Snails
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Rose Bubble Tipped Anemone
1 Maxima Clam
Corals:
10-15 different Zoanthid/Palythoas
1 Hillae Acan
1 Rainbow Lord Acan
1 Blueberry Chalice
1 Purple Ribbon Gorgonian
2 Ricordia Mushroom
2 red Mushroom
Blue Clove Polyps
Current Tank Parameters:
DKh = 9.6 (Salifert)
DKh = 10 (API)
PO4 = .5 (API)
NO3 = 10-15 (API)
NO3 = 5 (Salifert)
Cal = 500+ (salifert)
Cal =580?(API)
pH = 8.4 (API)
sg 1.025
Temp 80?

Stay tuned for pics:

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the pictures:
Most recent Full Tank Shot
FTS10-4.jpg

Fish Pics: Ms. Nasty(Purple Tang)
IMG_8599.jpg

Sunshine(Lyretail Anthias)
IMG_8565.jpg

The Clowns:
Female(Black)
IMG_8601.jpg

Male(White)
IMG_8596.jpg

Together:
BlackWhite28-30-09.jpg

In their RBTA:
BWRose8-31-09.jpg

Yellow Man(Canary Wrasse aka Yellow Coris or Golden Wrasse)
Yellow6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Corals and inverts, minus the zoas/palys:
My Hillae Acan, day 1:
Acan9-6-09.jpg

Last week, good growth, notice the new head(s):
IMG_8624.jpg

Rainbow Lord Acan, small frag i got from a friend at RAP:
Rainbowacan.jpg

Blueberry Watermelon Chalice, day 1:
Chalice9-6-09.jpg

Last week, not much growth, but more "blueberry" color:
BBWMChalice210-10.jpg

Blue Bullseye Mushroom:
Mushroom9-6-09.jpg

Ricordias: first one was lost for about a month behind the LR and nearly tripled in size, didn't split, grew well:
IMG_8920.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

Purple Ribbon Gorgonian, I have since move it to a spot standing up and it extends its polyps wonderfully:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/Skidazl
/PurpleRibbonGorg8-30-09.jpg
Maxima clam, since been moved to a higher spot on the rocks:
clam.jpg

Skunk cleaner Shrimp: (Mr. Clean)
IMG_8561.jpg

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And finally...

My Pride and Joys, my Zoanthid and Palythoa collection. Though small and not as "rare"(don't start me on rare stuff) as other people's, it's mine and I love it. This is just the beginning.
Blue Eyed Girls, started with 2 polyps, now up to 9+ in just under 2 months:
PinkZoos.jpg

PinkZoos39-10.jpg

IMG_8594.jpg

Candy Apple Reds:
CandyAppleRed.jpg

Sunny Ds:
SunnyD.jpg

Armor Of Gods:
ArmorOfGods.jpg

Magicians:
magicians2.jpg

Atomic Greens:
zoos9-7-09.jpg

Lunar Eclipse:
Lunarzoos.jpg

Lunarzoos29-10.jpg

Eagle eyes:
watermelons9-10.jpg

Orange BamBams, not sure why but these haven't opened fully in about a week.
Halloweens9-15-09.jpg

Nuclears:
Nuclears.jpg

This whole rock I got for $5 at RAP, there are at least 5-10 different morphs on it.
5dollarrock.jpg

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, hit my limit with that last post...
These last 2 were freebies I got at RAP, no official names for me yet:
I was told this one may be purple fission, but the coloring is very pale pink:
IMG_8923.jpg

tis one I was told is probably a "very cool morph" of a common green zoanthid. It is more yellow than the picture shows...
IMG_8925.jpg

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave,the $5 rock looks like it may have 3 or 4 different kinds on it,that'll look sweet when it fully covers the rock :D

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave,I got some new frags today,some colt coral and a rock with some assorted mushrooms...here's some pics....in the 1st pic is close up of the shroom rock,in the 2nd pic,there is a colt and a red 'shroom on a shell and some GHA,my tangs will remove that though,and the 3rd pic is blurry but it is another colt frag :D

HPIM3681.jpg

HPIM3675.jpg

HPIM3676.jpg

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for sharing dude. I know most people think of mushrooms as just what they are, a "fungus", but i personally like them a lot...

love the spotted one on the left...

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully,I'll get some better pics tomorrow,I just added 'em to the tank when I took those pics

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back