CalmSeasQuest's 36" Desktop Nano

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Does a Nano Not Look Like a Nano?...When it's 3 feet W I D E

I've been contemplating a tank for my office desk. I considered a Biocube, but decided on something a bit less conventional.

This is a mixed reef, rimless glass with dimensions 36" X 8" X 9" - A whopping ~12 gallons (7.5 gallons water,)

Finding a lighting solution that would work with such a narrow tank was a challenge. I decided to use T5s, but virtually all the 4X39W fixtures were too wide. I finally located an inexpensive, off-brand model that was narrow enough to work so this build will be lit by 156W of T5s. Obviously 13 Watts/GAL is overkill - but it gives me more potential bulb combinations, the option of mounting the lights higher, varying photo periods and using lower PAR bulbs as desired. I also plan on creating an aquascape that provides partially shaded areas.

Here's the equipment list..
  • Tank - Mr. Aqua 12 Long (36" X 8" X 9")
  • Lights - Catalina Solar Black 4 X 39W T5 (ATI Blue+, Blue+, AquaBlue, KZ Fiji Purple) ReefBrite 36" LED 50%/50% Royal Blue / White
  • Controller - Apex Aquacontroller, lab grade pH and ORP
  • Skimmer - Tunze 9002 w/ custom InTank collection cup.
  • Mechanical filtration - AquaClear 70 fitted with surface skimmer and custom InTANK media insert using BRS ROX 0.8 GAC and BRS HiCap GFO
  • ATO - Tunze 3155 Osmolator feeding Kalk laden RO/DI
  • Automated daily water changes (3% daily) via 2 BRS Top-Off pumps (50ml/min) controlled by the Apex
  • Water movement - 1X MP-10Wes, 1X Tunze 6015 Nano Streams / Alternating flow controlled by Apex
  • 20 lbs Custom made "Puzzle" Rock created from BRS Dry Pukani
  • Substrate - 1.5", Tropic Eden Aragalive ReefSnow and Miniflake (50%/50%)
  • Heater - Hydor 50 100 Watt
My concept was to "Skeletonize" (yes, I just made that up :)) the rock by slabbing it with a DFS-100 wet saw. Here are a few shots of the process...

2011-01-19-115921.jpg

2011-01-19-115948.jpg

2011-01-19-120006.jpg

The goal is to carve each piece so that light and water can pass through it, enabling multiple levels to be constructed while still allowing light and flow to be delivered directly below it for lower light Corals (i.e. Chalices, Z/Ps...) Flow is further defined by controlling the shape and location of the base pillars and through the use of jetties that direct flow into the coves.

20 Lbs of good Pukani rock (Compliments of BRS)...

6 Packages EPO Epoxy...

Dremel, Inland DFS-100 and 20 hours of cutting, fitting, trimming, epoxying...

The results........Priceless... :)

2011-01-20-162902.jpg

2011-01-20-162831.jpg

2011-01-20-162732.jpg

2011-01-20-162711.jpg

2011-01-20-162642.jpg

2011-01-20-162622.jpg

2011-01-20-162607.jpg

2011-01-20-162544.jpg

2011-01-20-162409.jpg

2011-01-20-162356.jpg

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least everything fits :)

2011-01-21-161809.jpg

2011-01-21-161752.jpg

2011-01-21-162005.jpg

2011-01-21-162220.jpg

2011-01-21-162335.jpg

I took a few quick PAR readings. It's a good thing I planned for lots of shaded areas :)
PAR.jpg

I was able to get the rest of the rock cut and installed today. The tank was leveled and set atop of piece of dense rubber (I cannibalized a yoga mat :)) Here are the final "dry tank" photos...

2011-01-22-173753.jpg

2011-01-22-173853.jpg

2011-01-22-173931.jpg

2011-01-22-174036.jpg

This top shot shows how little space remains. There is only a fraction of an inch from the rock to the glass in many places. Final stone sets were done with long forceps (as will be much the coral placements.) If it wasn't for the TLF Nano MAG, this build could not have been done this "tight".

2011-01-22-173953.jpg

I ended up using just 10 lbs of the MiniFlake. When settled, it will cover about 1/2 of the base rocks. So far, I like the Tropic Eden substrate - it's MUCH cleaner than any CaribSea I have ever used (this was live to sand in an attempt to speed the cycle, so it was not rinsed at all) and appears a bit whiter as well. I purchased both ReefSnow and MiniFlake, but opted to use just the MiniFlake as the eddy currents produced by this much flow in a long narrow tank would have blown the ReefSnow everywhere.

2011-01-22-175454.jpg

The tank is now filled with 7.5 gallons of RC saltwater (it was a bit too cloudy for pics just yet.) I was able to get a sense of how my water movement plan was going to work and make a few needed adjustments.

• I removed the Tunze 3165 (the water exhaust is on the bottom and created a sandstorm that I could not resolve.) This isn't critical as the 9002 skimmer remains along with frequent water changes. On the plus side, it opens up a lot of space. I'll shift the rock work a few inches to the right and open up space the left end of the tank (lower flow) for a Ric garden.
  • The Tunze 6025s appear to be a perfect fit, both in size and flow.
  • The Osmolator has a defective float. I'll contact Tunze for a replacement.
  • Got the Apex installed, probes calibrated, and a basic heater controller set up. I'll have to make some firewall adjustments and setup port forwarding to enable web access.
One of my concerns was put to rest as the tank is extremely quiet. The only audible sound is a slight air noise from the skimmer - No pump noise whatsoever.

All in all, so far so good.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few photos of the tank wet - Sorry for the poor quality pics, the water was still a bit cloudy from the the new substrate.

DSC_0192.jpg

The lights are hung temporarily (too high and backwards,) Still waiting n some parts needed to finish the hanging kit and lower the fixture to about 6" above the tank.
DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates and deviations from the original plan...

• I ordered Tunze 6015s and will swap out the 6025s to reduce the flow slightly.
  • It took a wile, but I was finally able to gain Internet access to the Apex. Our security mandates (locked down firewall) made it a bit of an IT project.
  • I've given up on the Tunze 3165 surface skimmer. The shallow depth made it virtually impossible to keep the water level constant enough (even with the Osmolator) to avoid air intake and micro-bubbles. Instead I'll hang an AC 20 (Mini) on the end for some mechanical filtration (emulating a filter sock) and for occasional use of GAC and/or GFO. I'll add a TOM surface skimming attachment that should pull off any surface films that collect. I'm hoping I might also be able to hide either the temp, pH and ORP probes or the heater inside.
  • To conserve space and reduce visible mechanics, I've been trying to find a way to install the Osmolator using only 1 magnet mount. It looks unlikely as the failsafe float needs to be mounted lower than possible (it's designed for installation is a sump where more vertical glass is available.)
  • I installed the AI hanging kit (Griplok) using a DIY mount with a stainless steel rod. The drop ceiling clips allow for simply, 3 axis adjustments (pics coming.)
  • After much some research, I decided on the 36" Reef Brite with 50%/50% Royal Blue / White. I'll mount it on the front edge of the T5 fixture angled back for shimmer and additional PAR.
I managed to hide most of the mechanics and probes behind the skimmer. I'm hoping there will be just enough room for the AC 20 beside the skimmer.

DSC_0298.jpg

The Apex and Osmolator displays are mounted just right of the tank. The ATO feeds from a 7 gallon bucket hidden below the desk. I'll probably add a Kalk dispenser to the bucket.
DSC_0313.jpg

The challenge in hanging the lights was that the desk and tank aren't parallel with the drop ceiling tiles, and the tank sits mostly below a light panel. I needed to find a way to adjust the hanging kit on all axis. I used some standard 15lb drop ceiling "T" hangars and ran a stainless steel rod through them. This allows for complete 2 axis adjustment.
DSC_0299.jpg

The Griplock hangers (originally for AquaIllumination LEDs) work great. You can control both the height and the angle of the fixture.
DSC_0310.jpg

The Reef Brite LEDs shipped today - Hopefully I can get them mounted and PAR measurements done by weeks end. With any luck, the tank should be cycled in about another week and ready for stocking to begin.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Brite mounted today, Here are a few photos and a couple short video clips.

The Reef Brite is attached via screws to the back lip of the T5 fixture (the T5 fixture is intentionally mounted backwards to avoid having the cords at the end of the desk.)
DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

The mounting bracket allows me to adjust the angle, controlling the placement of light and PAR.
DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

The first video shows the color and brightness of just the Reef Brite, then adds 2 tubes of T5s, then then 4 tubes of T5s (It's not nearly as bright as it appears in the video.)
YouTube - DSC 0391

Here's a top-angle shot showing the shimmer created by the Reef Brite LEDs...
YouTube - Reef Brite supplementing T5s for Shimmer

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning..." Sir Winston Churchill

Churchill's quote felt fitting - Still a ways to go, but it feels great to finally have corals in this tank :bigsmile:

The photos look rough as they were taken literally minutes after adding the second batch of Frags. The last of a cycle hair algae bloom are still visible.

There are 77 frags of Chalice, Acan, Milli, Acro, Favia and Rics added so far. The corals aren't in their their permanent locations, Most will be removed from the plugs and affixed directly to the aquascape.

It beats looking at an empty tank ;)

DSC_0610copy.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

A few things I've learned on this build...

I've avoided adding any clean up crew to this tank, instead just waiting for the cycle algae to dissipate on it's own. It's a pleasure to place a Frag in a location and have stay there without having to worry about an snail, crab or fish moving it.

The space is so tight (especially in the bottom of the tank) it requires the use of forceps, a lot of time and patience (not my strong suit) to manuever Frags into the desired locations. It's so tedious, I find my patience lasts only about 30 minutes before I need to take a break.

I'm still undecided about the dosing plan. I have BRS dosing and top off pumps that can be used for 2-part, but in a tank this small (7.5 gallons actual), salinity creep will be problem. I had believed that daily water changes equalling about 100% per month would be enough, but I just found an article on water change by Randy Holmes-Farley that demonstrates if using water changes alone, it would take daily changes of greater than 50% to maintain CA/Alk and MAG levels in a high demand tank.

Based on this, in addition to the daily water changes equaling 100% per month, I'll start with Kalkwasser dosing using a BRS top-off pump and a Tunze 5074 Kalk dispenser (I can't use the Osmolator as it runs for a minimum of 10 seconds and would overdose the Kalk causing pH spikes.) Then depending on demand, I'll add 2-part pumps later.

Thanks for tagging along - I'll shoot more photo's once the rest of the livestock has been added.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a lot of fun creating this tank and the rock-work. Another advantage I've found with the puzzle-rock design is that there are lots of "nooks and crannies" in which to place these tiny Frags. Far more than in a traditional aquascape. The voids in all the slabs allow a lot of light and flow to pass through to the lower levels and I created overhangs throughout the build specifically to allow for shaded, lower-PAR areas that chalices could be tucked into. In fact, there is so much surface area in the rock work, I could easily add another 50-60 Frags, especially slow growing items such as chalices. The problem is, I beleive it would be very difficult to manage water quality (specifically CA/ALK/Mag uptake) with so much life crammed into only 7.5 gallons of water.

The other amazing thing about this tank is the close-up viewing. I've always wondered about those that have huge tanks that are located in areas that don't promote close up viewing (i.e. in-wall tanks in dining rooms far from the seating/living areas.) To me, I enjoy having my nose virtually pressed to the glass, in fact - I've placed a leather chair and ottoman directly in front of my tanks at home which are located in the living room - It's the best seat in the house and is rarely empty.

Having it sit on my desk, inches away is wonderful as there are surprises hidden throughout - you just have to look for them. I'm looking forward to watching the entire tank fill in. Over time, it should evolve into puzzle-like pieces of color winding throughout the tank.

Things are starting to settle in. All of the hair algae from the cycle is ghost white and mostly gone. I'm monitoring how much Ca and ALK uptake there will be with such dense coral stocking. I had hopes I might be able to maintain with just the water changes and Kalk, but it appears 2-part might be required.

Getting close to the final Coral lineup - At present, there are 91 Frags in the tank. I'll spend another couple weeks watching to see if every acclimates to it's current spot and maybe swap out a few depending on how happy they appear in their new surrounds. Once I'm comfortable they are happy with PAR and flow, I'll remove them from the plugs, affix them directly to the aquascape and update the livestock list and receipts. One advantage I've found with the slabbed rock are the smooth surfaces - I can easily "tack" each Frag with just a drop or two of Cyanocrylate.

I'm hoping that removing the plugs will eliminate some of the "Frag tank" look associated with such tiny Frags. Sorry for the poor quality photos - Although I have a new DSLR (Nikon D7000) I'm currently suffering from a case of "Equipment superior to operator"...

FTS4_4_11.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

Ric_Garden.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0677.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

Still undecided about the addition of any inverts or fish.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started removing Frag plugs and placing corals into place. It should look nice once things begin to grow in and color up a bit. I also added a surface skimmer to the AC20 to remove surface film.

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0796.jpg

DSC_0803.jpg

DSC_0804.jpg

DSC_0810.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

DSC_0814.jpg

DSC_0822.jpg

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates and equipment upgrades...

• I ordered a larger AquaClear 70 to replace the AC20 currently used. This will allow me to use the new Intank AC70 insert in which I can hide the heater and either the probes or dosing/top/off hoses. It will also provide better through-flow for mechanical filtration, GAC and/or GFO.
  • I reinstalled the Surface skimmer on the AC20 - It's doing a good job of surface skimming and has removed all the surface film.
  • I'm seeing great growth on the Acans, some have more than doubled in head count since acquired. I attribute much of this to the Fauna Marine LPS pellets they are fed weekly.
  • There is very little for the skimmer to pull. Even when feeding - each coral is spot fed, so next to nothing hits the substrate. I'll see how it goes with the AC70, and perhaps consider removing the skimmer. It would limit any bacteria/carbon dosing but with the 100% monthly water changes - I'm not sure it will be needed.
  • Removing the skimmer would open up a lot of space making it easier to increase the space between pillars. It would also make it easer to add a small RBTA that would make a nice home for a pair of Picassos.
  • Still playing musical chairs with most of the the corals, trying to find the ideal location for each.
  • I've got KZ New Gen 14Ks and Super Blues to play with and compare to the ATI Blue+ and KZ Fiji Purple
So far, so good - Surprisingly the KALK/ATO is maintaining Ca and ALK without requiring an 2-part.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the InTank media insert for the AC70 - I'm hoping it will have sufficient space allowing me to hide the heater, dosing, top off lines and perhaps a couple probes. It should also be a major improvement in flow through for mechanical and chemical filtration over the stock unit.

2011-04-23195114.jpg

The heater and filter floss are contained in the right chamber. GAC/GFO in the bottom left chamber and the large chamber above the green plate can be used for additional media, Cheato, or in my case, probes and dosing/top-off lines.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get about 80% of the Frag plugs removed, things are looking a bit cleaner. Sorry for the poor quality photos, everything was closed or slimed from the manhandling. I haven't completed the reverse side yet. I'll get some better photos with flash taken next week to better show the colors. once things has settled in...

DSC_0929.jpg

DSC_0874.jpg

DSC_0876.jpg

DSC_0887.jpg

DSC_0889.jpg

Left Chalice bommie

DSC_0892-1.jpg

Center Chalice bommie
DSC_0885.jpg

Left Pillar

DSC_0909.jpg

DSC_0914.jpg

DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_0978.jpg

DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0921.jpg

DSC_0923.jpg

DSC_0933.jpg

AC70 with the InTANK media insert. I still have to modify the top to accommodate cut-outs for the heater and probes. You can also see the surface skimmer to the right.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Thread! I love the work you did with the rocks. Looks amazing and thanks for the read.

hkornel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

amesing stuff!

I think you found a great game for yourselfe! And you seems for me not a beginner, but I think you know you will have tons of work with that nano to keep it stable.
Just one question: How can you work if its on your desk?
I mean, I could not work just watching it instead of the monitor.... :)

keep on!
Kornel

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!! Super creative rock scape! Crazy equipment on nano. Extremely impressed!!
Thanks seth&angelle :) I travel quite a bit, so the Apex and a certain level of automation was a necessity.

Great Thread! I love the work you did with the rocks. Looks amazing and thanks for the read.
Thanks fab1971 :) The "PuzzleRock was an idea I've been playing with for a couple of years - just needed the right (small) to test it out. Lots of hours in creation, but I think the result was worth the time invested.

HI,

amesing stuff!

I think you found a great game for yourselfe! And you seems for me not a beginner, but I think you know you will have tons of work with that nano to keep it stable.
Just one question: How can you work if its on your desk?
I mean, I could not work just watching it instead of the monitor.... :)

keep on!
Kornel
You hit the nail on the head with both concerns Kornell. Maintaining such dense livestock in such a small volume of water breeds instability. I'm hopeful that diligence (assisted by the ORP, pH, temp and Salinity probes of the Apex) coupled with the automated daily water changes equaling 100% per month will aid in creating relatively stable water parameters. I'm planning on 2-part dosing handled via the Apex when needed, but at present, ATO saturated with Kalk is sufficing.

You're also right about the "desktop distraction quotient" - My productivity started to drop even before I had added the first Frag :)
Awesome!!!!1smile1 lots of work and it shows I love it!!!!!
Thanks Troylee :) - I've had a blast building this one.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build! Love the dimensions.

Are you planning to add ANY fish, or keep it coral only?
Thanks Tobasco1 - I love the dimensions/ratios. I'm still undecided about fish or inverts. I need to let this tank mature a while to get it stable, then perhaps. I created a perfect spot for a RBTA in the center column and might consider a pair of Picassos (I'm getting tired of everyone that enters my office asking "where are the fish?" :)

BTW - I love your screen name - I'm a HUGE Tabasco fan. I'll be in Nawlins for a conference in November - A few of us are renting bikes and making the pilgrimage to Avery Island (home of McIlhenny, makers of Tabasco) to do the tour.

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on the rbta!! I just g0t one and it stayed where I wanted it to stay and my platinums started hosting in 36 hours which is pretty uncommon haha. The tank is awesome I will be following.

Back