Myzislow's Custom 95 Gallon Rimless

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After browsing the forums and being inspired by all of the great tanks and corals that people are working with these days, I've decided to create a thread for my new tank that I've been working on for awhile now. I hope to share my experience throughout the entire process; from the welding of rock work to transferring my livestock, and of course as many worth while updates as I can.

The tank itself is a rimless/braceless design, made by Leemar. The stand was a custom job done by a couple local buddy's of mine. Here is a quick rundown of specs and equipment:

Tank: Rimless Leemar 40"x26"x21" Starfire front panel. Corner triangular overflow
Lighting: 24" Sifiligoi XR4 250wSE 4x24w T5HO fixture, M80 magnetic ballast, 250w Radium, 4x24w blue plus
Skimmer: ATB 840 v2.
Circulation: 2x MP-40w on opposing sides, Mag 9.5 for return
Controller: Neptune Systems ACJr.
Top off: Tunzee osmolator
Dosing: 2x Drew's Dosers, B-ionic 2 part
Sump: 40 gallon breeder; baffle-less
2x Two little fishes reactors(gfo & carbon)

After ~8 years of maintaining my old 29 gallon it became apparent that I was in dire need of an upgrade. I had no more room for corals and was beginning to form a general sense of apathy towards the tank; it just wasn't fun anymore. After all most of my enjoyment in this hobby stem from growing coral out, and watching things mature and color up as best I an get them to; something I just couldn't do in my 29 anymore.

Old shot of my standard sumpless 29 gallon:
zoanthids825-1.jpg

I had been planning this build in my head for as long as I can remember. After scouring the internet for many late nights I began to form a very good idea of what I wanted in my next tank. My goal was to have an all around aesthetically pleasing setup, utilizing a 'minimalist' type of scape with a select number of coral. The tank will be a mixed reef, but I'm a stickhead at heart and I'm sure it will end up being SPS dominated. I pondered different lighting setups over and over, and I basically came to the conclusion I cannot run a tank without the shimmer of a metal halide bulb. I went with the sifiligoi fixture because not only is the quality amazing, but they are one of the few companies to offer SE fixtures with a large reflector in an appealing design. This light is very bright and the spread is good corner to corner, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I just recently began transferring what livestock I have left and so far most everything has responded pretty well.

Here are a few teaser shots:

Scape welded together years in advance haha:
zoanthids1755.jpg

zoanthids1753.jpg

Livestock waiting in a holding tank:
group_1.jpg

New tank back at my house after a long drive:
DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0058-2.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

skimmer arrived after quite the wait, but well worth it!
atb.jpg

Got her plumbed thanks to the resident plumbing expert:
IMAG0117.jpg

All of the electronics mounted and skimmer in place:
tank.jpg

First corals added after the test corals passed:
tankpreview.jpg

Since then I've added pretty much most all of my SPS that I had left. I'll try and get some shots of how it looks these days on here pretty soon. Hope you enjoyed so far and I look forward to sharing my experiences throughout this process.

OP
OP
myzislow

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

Sang, let me know when you are in town and you can swing by and check it out if you'd like.

OP
OP
myzislow

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think me and Andy are rollin, what about you?

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I'm going but I'll be there a little later on in the day.

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am loving the dimensions and the great stocking options. very nicely done.

OP
OP
myzislow

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am loving the dimensions and the great stocking options. very nicely done.
Thanks a lot!

Awesome awesome awesome :)
Thanks dude, gl with your sale!

Looking good Josh, stop hiding those sticks though:xd:See you guys at BAYMAC.
Thanks Tim. I only have a few sticks left that have some size and the rest are mini colonies/frags. I just snapped some terrible phone pics tho so I'll throw some up, better than nothing I guess.

Nice looking tank man. Like the scape.
Thanks dude, I hope I have enough room for enough coral!

Looking good so far!
Thanks!

OP
OP
myzislow

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few updated shots of how it currently looks; sorry about the terrible quality, they are with my phone. Still have a lot of things to mount and transfer over, but it's coming along slowly.

Right side:
IMAG0349.jpg

Left side:
IMAG0348.jpg

FTS:
IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

Light:
IMAG0350.jpg

30k colony, my favorite mount so far:
IMAG0339.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.2%
Back