cmcneils reef savvy build thread

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its that time again,you all know i cant keep a tank too long without setting up a new one.this will be the last tank i do for a while and hopefully forever.the tank is on order now from reef savvy and the delivery date is set for late july/early august.it will be 3 sides starphire with polished and beveled edges,black back wall,black silicone,with external overflow.i believe this will be the first time Felix has ever added an external overflow to a rimless tank so im kind of excited about that.the tank will measure 30" long x 24" wide x 16" deep making it roughly 50 gallons in size.here is a quick run down of my equipment list for the tank.

Tank=reef savvy 50g custom starphire(30"x24"x16")
Lighting=36-48 LED's from reefledlights.com(thinking ill go 48 but not 100% sure yet)
Sump=custom PVC 26"x16"x14"(approx 25g)made by me
Return pump=new marineland pump(not sure of which model but something around 600gph)
Skimmer=I-Tech 100
Flow pumps=2 vortec MP-10 WES's
Reactor=custom made by me
Heaters=one 150w ehiem jager,one 50w eheim jager
Cooling=10"fan mounted over the sump
Controller=AC Jr with DC8,temp probe,PH probe
Top off=tunze osmolator with custom top off tank

the tank will be a mixed LPS/SPS reef with alot of acans,some chalices,several scolys,and lots of nice acros.i plan on having a fair amount of fish considering the tanks size.here is a list of the fish id like to have and plan on getting.im sure the list will change some but this is what im thinking.

Fish list
one yellow coris wrasse
one randals goby with pistol shrimp
two bluestriped pipefish
two tail spot gobys
one copperband butterfly
two redhead gobys
two cleaner gobys

i have a cool idea for a way to dress up the stand and make it look classy.it will be a wood stand with frosted glass pieces that wrap around the sides of the top perimeter.i have found these metel standoffs a a local plastics supply house that will hold the glass off of the stand and allow me to have LED lights under the glass.it should make the glass glow and add a nice touch.im also thinking of getting glass doors for the stand but not 100% sure of that yet.

here is a google sketchup drawing of the tank/stand however i didnt draw the LED lit glass pieces on that i mentioned above.

sketchupof50g.jpg

OP
OP
cmcneil

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are pics of my new PVC sump,it is made from 1/4" grey PVC sheet and 1/4" clear PVC sheet all hot air welded and bent where it could be.

IMG_3865.jpg

the water passes through the sock and out of this notch.
IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

Last edited:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i need a sump like that!! you said hot air welded? is that basically a nozzled hot air gun?

OP
OP
cmcneil

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's basically a glorified hot glue gun but designed to pass plastic rods through that bond the PVC together.If you want to know more,google search thermoplastics welding.that should give you alot of info about how it's done.

Last edited:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks!! just in the market for a new sump and would like to build one. i can get acrylic but i like this too!!

OP
OP
cmcneil

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to go with acrylic but the pvc is cheaper for materials and welding insures it wont leak.plus it looks cool and defferent then every other sump out there.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some awesome builds going on right now, will be fun to watch them all! Looking real nice so far, can't wait to see the final product!

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump is kicking!

This should be a great tank. Felix does the nicest work, my next tank will be a Reef Savvy. Keep the pics coming.

OP
OP
cmcneil

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some awesome builds going on right now, will be fun to watch them all! Looking real nice so far, can't wait to see the final product!

thank you sir,it will be a while before the final product is done but im sure it will be worth it for all who follow the thread and myself.

OP
OP
cmcneil

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump is kicking!

This should be a great tank. Felix does the nicest work, my next tank will be a Reef Savvy. Keep the pics coming.

thank you,Felix does do great work.ive seen several of his tanks in person and the quality is second to none.Felix doesnt supply a guard for the weir cutout so i had to make one myself.the back wall of the tank is 3/8" thick black glass and i didnt have 3/8" black acrylic so i had to laminate 1/4" clear acrylic and 1/8" black acrylic.once the sheet was laminated i then cut it down to 10"x2" and used a milling machine to cut 1/4"x1" slots in the acrylic,then i polished all four sides of it.once the tank gets here i will silicone the piece into the overflow weir.

IMG_3869.jpg

Last edited:

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow great start. never really thought about using pvc for a sump. looks great and you cant beat the price !!!

OP
OP
cmcneil

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
........Update........
i got some wood today and started my stand,as of now its just a 2x4 frame but you have to start somewhere.i think im going to make the stand fancy like my old 150g stand.it had alot of nice trim work done to it.i might go with a cherry stain to finish it off but ill decide on that when i get to that point.

cut up and ready to assemble
2c360b5f.jpg

base frame,needs the center beam still
ac6f6d7a.jpg

top frame,needs the center beam still
93e1089b.jpg

uprights added
59a2133a.jpg

top frame on
834dcc2a.jpg

notch for the plumbing to pass through
9f3a1662.jpg

here is a pic of my old 150g stand for those who never saw it,this is what i might do to this stand.obviously i wont be putting a canopy on the reef savvy
smile.gif

Picture1067.jpg

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks so sick. i am waiting on this one to be complete. will help me decide on what i want to do. i love the external overflow. can he drill for a closed loop?

OP
OP
cmcneil

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks so sick. i am waiting on this one to be complete. will help me decide on what i want to do. i love the external overflow. can he drill for a closed loop?

im sure Felix can drill for a closed loop Rich.i went that route on my old 150g and wont do that again,the plumbing alone cost me over $300 on the closed loop since i had 6 outlets with a home made ocean motion clone.it was all unioned and valved for disassembly.what a PITA lol ill stick with my vortecs :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back