Miracles 144/125 Rimless

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started maintaining a reef tank at a dentist's office in town back in late 2009. This is what it looked like back then:

IMG_6406.jpg

It was an acrylic tank, about 120 gallons. Over the course of a little over a year, I got it looking like this:

IMG_9687.jpg

Around May of this year, near tragedy struck. I noticed a crack had developed through the bottom panel along the front edge.

IMG_9951.jpg

I determined that it was improper stand construction. In my opinion, the cabinet maker and LFS that specified the stand should be sued, but that's another discussion!

The only thing supporting the tank was these two 2" square steel tubes, which were not cross-braced, and were just dead-ended into the laminated particle board cabinet, with a 1x4 glued and screwed to the particle board.

IMG_9946.jpg

To make matters worse, the front tube is not level with the back tube - it's about 1/4" to 1/8" lower. To make it even worse, the cabinet section the tank sits on is laminated particle board. You can see the resulting gap in the picture of the crack above. That's nearly about a 3/16" gap under the tank. So the bottom was bowed out and the front was bowed out, which caused a fracture through the bottom panel, parallel with the plane of the inside of the front panel. As it turns out, there was a similar crack along the back seam.

I set up a temporary tank at my house and transferred everything to it. Then I started the search for a new tank. I came across Rev's thread about a tank built by Miracles in Canada, contacted them, and got the ball rolling. The tank will arrive in town near the end of September.

The new tank will be rimless, 66" L x 21" W x 24" H. The external dimensions add up to 144 gallons, but the internal actual volume of the new tank will be just short of 125 gallons (with water 1 inch from rim).

The tank will sit in a recessed wall section, so it is only viewable from the front. The front will be 3/4" Starphire, the right, back and bottom will be 5/8", and the left side will be 5/8" tempered glass with a notch for an external overflow. The external overflow will be a BeanAnimal 3-pipe system, 18" x 6", and 8" deep with 3 holes for 1.5" bulkheads. I estimate the weight of the empty tank to be 350 pounds. So the funnest part will be getting it into the recessed wall.

I am having a reputable LFS buld the stand - one of their employees has 20 years of furniture making experience, and the build is a beefed-up version of RocketEngineer's stand design. The stand will be 2x6 and 2x4 construction.

I have decided to get a Reefflo Barracuda external pump and 1.5" return plumbing so that I can max out the overflow and siphon pipe at or near 3000 GPH (including head). My plan is to not have any power heads in the DT at all. Instead, I will build a plenum return with custom nozzles. The plenum will likely only run along the back and right side of the tank (so I guess it's not a true plenum). The top about 2" of the tank is covered up by the cabinet doors, so almost nothing will be seen from the front of the tank, even with jets and diffusers 1" below the surface of the water.

The sump will either be the previously used 40 Breeder with new baffles cut from an old 55g tank with a crack in it, or a custom acrylic sump. I haven't figured that out yet. One of the issues I'm running into is head clearance inthe cabinet. The system runs an Algae Scrubber, and it won't fit in the new sump cabinet. So it looks like I will have to build a new one. Fortunately, I had already planned on doing that, so this just catapulted the need to the forefront.

I would also like to incorporate an auto-top-off system, Kalkwasser either in the top-off or in a stirrer, and eventually LED lighting to replace the current 8 lamp T5HO fixture. I would like to get an aquarium controller, probably an Arduino so I can program LED dimming and a host of other functions, but a pre-packaged system like a Reef Angel might be good, since I won't be there to babysit the controller.

Miracles should be sending me pictures of the tank build in progress by next week. Stay tuned!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see it!

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

I (well, the owner) bought a Reefflo Dart at MACNA at a great price, which should do just fine.

And....TANK PICS!!!

PICT1599.jpg

PICT1600.jpg

PICT1603.jpg

Set to be shipping on or before October 5th, just under 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Over the last few months, and especially the last week, this tank is finally coming together.

Here's the stand

DSC02724.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

I topped it with 2 layers of 3/4" ACS, painted it, and put 1/2" foam on it. The tank was placed last month and oh boy was that sucker HEAVY. Took 6 of us to put it on the stand.

I re-worked the cabinetry, made a door on the left end to access to the plumbing, pump, and overflow box, and made a frame for the top door hinge system.

DSC03307.jpg

DSC03309.jpg

DSC03311.jpg

DSC03312.jpg

...and built a custom sump

DSC03316.jpg

The plumbing consists of a BeanAnimal 3-pipe system

DSC03313.jpg

DSC03314.jpg

DSC03315.jpg

...more...

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job and gorgeous tank!

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return is a Reefflo Dart/Snapper (Dart impeller) and a plenum return system

DSC03310.jpg

DSC03310.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

DSC03337.jpg

The plenum has 12 outlets, each will have a valve and 3/4" Loc-Line. 6 of the Loc-Lines will split off into 2 1/2" branches

DSC03335.jpg

And the hanger for the plenum

DSC03338.jpg

2 of the 3/4" ones will split of as well using old Loc-Line I had from the old tank and another piece I had laying around for a total of 20 jets. All the solvent joints and teflon paste on the thread joint is done, but I forgot to take a pic this morning. Will post one this afternoon. It's beyond awesome.

Fill time is this weekend!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev!

I don't know why, but the first pic in each of these posts shows the 'deleted/move' thumbnail from photobucket. I had to enter it twice to make it show. What gives? Work on RC...

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, awesome head on the manifold too!

As for the pic's, you'll need to use the Go Advanced feature, some people's Photobucket inserts a percent sign in the pic URL and it doesn't work in the first pic on R2R sometimes. If you use Go Advanced or hit Preview Post it should show up.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallons down, 65 or so more to go. I set a personal record of 15 5g buckets in my Nissan Altima

DSC03382.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried going advanced and the pic shows up in the preview then in the edit window it's the 'moved or deleted'....

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I filled the tank on Friday 11/25 and fired it up, tuned the overflow and played with the flow rate. Went to the HW store to find a fitting for the open standpipe cap, came back and found...water. On the floor.

Not much, but still. It was emanating from the pump impeller cover, about 1 drip every 10-15 seconds as you can see in this video:

144 Reef - Installation 11/25/11 - Pump Leak - YouTube

as it turns out, the 'milled' the inside of the housing for a larger impeller (larger than the Dart impeller) and got it just too thin, and there must be a microscopic hole. Thankfully, Chris with Reeflo shipped me a new cover and it looks great, got it on Wednesday and will be firing it up again tonight or tomorrow morning.

While I had the chance, I also added another baffle to the sump

DSC03428.jpg

DSC03428.jpg

For a couple of reasons. 1) sump bowed quite a bit with water a couple inches from the rim (power off). Too much for my taste. 2) provide a place to secure a section of egg crate with nylon screen or plastic canvas attached to prevent anything from getting to the pump. 3) provide ability to add media chamber if necessary. And it's always eventually necessary, isn't it?

Anyways...delayed again. Hopefully tonight it will be running, add salt, get temp up, then transfer the base rock and put in the sand.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Did you build the sump? Are going to have any power heads with all those outputs?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that was my first sump build. Have built 2 more for others and another up next, then a nice solid frag tank.

I do not *plan* to need any power heads. The flow through this thing is huge, that weir is about 3/4" high and that's easily 3000 GPH, but split that between 20 jets and it doesn't seem like much coming out of each jet. It's hard to tell with nothing in the tank though. We'll see what it looks like at the end of next week :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back