New here...building my first nano.

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just found this place and it looks like a great place to hang and learn and post about my favorite corals, Zoas !!! Anyways, I am in the later stages of setting up my first nano, my second SW tank (first one failed miserably) so I thought I would share. Thanks for looking and please, all comments and suggestions welcome.

Equipment list:
10g All-glass
Sunpaq 96 watt quad light retro fitted in to the hood
AC 70 or 110 HOB fuge
50 watt Stealth heater
Korallia Nano Powerhead
I have lots of base rock that will be used
Shallow sand bottom
Seachem Reef Salt mix
Refractometer
API test kits

Livestock list:
CUC will be snail only
No fish
3 porcelain crabs
1 or 2 pom pom crabs, maybe. They are undecided
2 sexy shrimp
Zoa garden
couple of rics
Maybe an open brain once things get mature enough

Thats about it. I have some pics of my tank and hood/base (empty).

Any thoughts or suggestions? I know there isn't much really to comment on at this point.

DSC_1103.jpg

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dug my old rock out of the basement and played around with the rock scape. What do you think? Most of the pieces I have are pretty big and I am trying to not break them because I need to save them for another tank project I am hoping to start later in the summer. Don't mind the dirty glass either...lol

The rock is shown under the 96 watts of PC lights I have installed in the hood. There is no water in the tank in this shot. Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts you have. Also, I have lots more rock so I can add more if you think it needs it.

DSC_1122.jpg

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just a quick update, I got my salt, refractometer, power head, heater, and test kit today so I have my saltwater mixing and I am finishing up the stand/hood so I will be starting the cycle tomorrow. I really looked over my base rock and cleaned it and scrub it really well and there just won't be anything there to kick off a cycle, so I am forced I guess to use the shrimp method. No big deal though. I will get more pics up as soon as I have water in the tank.

Tank back painted black:
DSC_1125.jpg

Distilled water ready to go:
DSC_1129.jpg

Goodies from Dr. Foster and Smith:
DSC_1132.jpg

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice little setup and welcome to CZ. were you located with all that green grass in the yard

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like a fun little project. I always like to have at least one fish in a tank. A yellow clown goby couldn't produce much waste at all. Just an idea.

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like a fun little project. I always like to have at least one fish in a tank. A yellow clown goby couldn't produce much waste at all. Just an idea.

I thought about maybe one little fish in there. I am going to stay fishless at least for awhile and then perhaps reconsider. A goby would be cool though I was thinking about a watchman goby. I love the way they perch and scoot around rather than swim.

Last edited:

Mochis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked to see if your magnet will clear the rock? Looks a little close and the rock on the left side on the bottom looks a little shaded. What kind of filtration are you going to use?

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't but that rockscape was just a dry run. There was no water in the tank. I am starting the cycle today and will be putting in the sand, rock and water of course :D and I will be making sure there is enough room for the magfloat to get around.

Filtration will be either an AC 110 or 70. I have a 70 that needs a new intake tube but I was thinking about getting a 110 so I have more room to fuge it and add the heater. I probably won't even be using it as a filter anyways. If it looks like I do need some mechanical filtration I will just throw in some filter floss but going fishless I am hoping I won't need to do that. I may just do some water polishing after feedings though to catch the uneaten stuff from feeding my corals and inverts.

As far as being shaded, it is a little but should brighten up since the picture was taken while the protective film was still on the reflector. That is off now. I wll get some pictures up this evening after everything is set up.

Mochis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I hate waiting for a tank to cycle but maybe you will have more patients than me. Can hardly wait for the new pics. Good luck!!!!

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope too...lol

Ammonia is already at 1.5ppm so things are progressing nicely. Didn't think I would see that much so fast but I am pleased. Shrimp are making the water stinky so they won't be in there much longer.

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First ammonia test done about 20 hours after cycle started. I will do another tonight along with a nitrite just to see.

DSC_1143.jpg

With water, no lights in the room. Still really hazy. Looks really dusty in the tank. You can see it floating all around and settling on the power head and heater. I need to get my filter up and running and throw some floss in there to polish out the dust I guess. I didn't rinse the sand because it was wet out of the bag so I didn't think I needed to.

DSC_1155.jpg

Room lights on.

DSC_1157.jpg

Closer up FTS.

DSC_1158.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions?

normanbates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice setup i want to do a 3gal desktop nano, your build just gave me a little incentive, most lfs will tell you that your retarded to do a small sw tank but they are ignorant, i like it

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That tank is looking sweet! ;)

OP
OP
saltwaternewb

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I am excited about this tank. Things are progressing nicely. Ammonia is well over 2ppm and nitrites are starting to show and I am less than 3 days in to the cycle. I added my AC 70 for more flow and will be fugeing it soon. As far as LFS people go, I have no use for them as far as telling me how to set up my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back