DC Pump Users

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some feedback on users of DC pumps here. I installed a Jebao DC12000 yesterday and the pump is a little noisy if you ask me. Coming from running a Mag18 and an EcoPlus 696 there is little to no vibration felt or heard from the DC pump. However, the thing sounds like a refrigerator compressor running, see/hear video.

Jebao DC12000 - YouTube

Any others experience this with their DC pumps or know if this is just a Jebao quirk?

I'm super happy with it, it's just a little noisier than what I expected. Huge improvement for noise and vibration over running two other pumps though.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DC pump only makes noise if it's getting choked. I have it to the max and no sound but if I close off something on the manifold it gives off a humming sound.
Reduce the output and see if the sound goes away. Then turn it up when you add more stuff to your manifold.

Last edited:

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is quiet, especially over the EcoPlus I first started with. Give it some time to build up its slime coat and it should quiet down. Mine sure as heck doesn't sound like that.

Last edited:

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used the jaebo pumps, I do have an octopus dc return pump and I can hear some of the drive noise similar to that, but not as loud. Only a 1450gph pump though.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'll give it some time and see. If anything maybe I'll take it out and take the impeller and magnet out and put it back together. That seems to do the trick with my WP's.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't hear mine over the MJ1200 in my sump and its cranked all the way up. Its very quiet.

I just listened to the video... that almost sounds like your impeller isn't balanced or soemthing. I've got some extras if you want to try a new one to see if that helps. I'd take it apart and take a look at it if I were you.

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the impeller and magnet out and the magnet has a small chip taken out of it. Not sure if that is the issue but I'm thinking it is slightly out of balance as Brandon stated. Will get a new one and see what happens

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a reef octo or waveline if you want to get another. Why waste the money again on a jabao?

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they're all made in the same factory and an impeller is $10. Why spend 4x more for a different name?

Brandon

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they're all made in the same factory and an impeller is $10. Why spend 4x more for a different name?

Brandon

Customer service would be one reason... different controllers... but yes I have also read that.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brandon

Exactly. And neither the Diablo or the Waveline would fit in my return section. The cases are bigger on those two models.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try one but I've since switched to a fluval sp4. Good luck with whatever you decide.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brandon
I've had a Waveline and Octopus and Jabao and they are not the same pumps, May be made in the same factory but are different. Everyone i had was dead silent though just were not all created equal IMO
Bill

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back