Randal's 150 gallon upgrade

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after months of talking to the misses about upgrading our 75 gallon tank, she finally caved :bigsmile:. I was planning on moving up to a 120 because I really like the deeper tanks, but she wanted a taller tank...so a 150 gallon tank it is. It took a month or so to find the tank I wanted, but I finally found it on craigslist. My wife thought I was crazy for driving almost 5 hours one way to get it, but I don't mind long drives by myself...it's kind of relaxing.

I've had a saltwater tank for about 4 years, but its always been mostly a FOWLR tank. We just purchased a RBTA last weekend, but that's about all I have so far, so I'm rather inexperienced at the reef hobby but I'm super excited to learn. The plans are for the new tank to be mostly SPS dominated. I've got a 40 gallon breeder tank that I picked up a few months back from Petco during the $1/gallon sale that I plan on using to make a sump and I have an SCA-302 protein skimmer to use.

I enjoy woodworking on the side, so I'm pretty stoked at the idea of building a new cabinet and canopy to house my tank, but that will probably have to wait till this winter as I already have several big projects on my plate.

Here's the tank, 48x24x31 150 gallon.
photo.jpg
photo (1).jpg

First up was to build the stand, so I can get the tank off my workbench in my garage.
photo (3).jpg
stand.jpg

I've bought a gallon of Killz 2 to prime it, then some white gloss oil based enamel paint that I will use to cover the entire stand. Later, when I do build the cabinet, I figure the white will make it much easier to see inside. I'll also silicone all the seams in the bottom to make it water tight, just for that added protection.

That's where I'm at right now. I've got a lot to plan out, there is going to be allot to do before I can think about getting this thing wet. I was hoping to put a ghost overflow in it, but those seem to be on the back burner and unavailable for now, so I'm thinking of purchasing a custom overflow box off ebay. It looks like it works off the same principle as the ghost overflow, but doesn't have the nice removable teeth for easy cleaning. I'm sure the quality isn't quite the same either, but I'm not interested in trying to build my own and I really want to plumb it beananimal style. I've never drilled a tank either, so this should be an experience lol.

I'm planning on all new sand, but possibly reusing my live rock. I plan on bleaching/cooking them first to get rid of the massive bubble algae outbreak that has built up over the past couple years.

My current tank has an old Odyssea light fixture with 2 250w MH and 4 56w pc bulbs. I will eventually go to leds before jumping into SPS, but for now I'll be moving these lights over to the new tank.

That's all I have time for now. Over the next few months, I'll update this thread to mainly document my progression into the reefing hobby. I really hope to get some feed back from you guys, since this is all pretty new to me. Any suggestions/recommendations or constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks,
Randal

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Randal, can't wait to see how it progresses!

Thanks Nate, it will be slow I'm sure but I intend to enjoy every minute of it. :)

looks great! welcome to the reef side of the hobby! :)

Thanks fishroomlady, I'm stoked.

Following along as I'm building a 150 tall myself. Looking great so far!

Cool, I subscribed to your thread too. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other as we go.

Great start. Welcome to R2R and MTRC.

Thanks Brandon, happy to be here

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo.jpg

Got the first coat of primer today, nothing exciting to report yet.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a piece on pond liner material from Lowe's/Home Depot to put in the bottom of my stands. I cut it with about 4 - 6 extra on each side and stapled that to the inside sides of the stand before I put the sump in. When the sump overflows that catches the water before it can run out on the floor.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a piece on pond liner material from Lowe's/Home Depot to put in the bottom of my stands. I cut it with about 4 - 6 extra on each side and stapled that to the inside sides of the stand before I put the sump in. When the sump overflows that catches the water before it can run out on the floor.

Great idea. I thought I'd something similar but couldn't find the right material.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion is to drill that tank for an overflow or get a Reef Ready tank to start with and save yourself some grief, Just saying from experience...
Bill

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$_57.jpg

I was planning on purchasing one of these off ebay, kinda like a ghost overflow but not as nice. Takes two 1.5" bulkheads to attach the boxes and three 1" bulkheads in the bottom of the external box for beananimal plumbing. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the best option I've found so far. I don't think I could build an overflow that would look as nice as this one.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly a copy of the Ghost, but what can you do? :)

Looks like a great start! You also have a great looking workshop!

Brandon

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might stay c2c but I'll rebuild it with glass. I'd rather have the return lines running over the top than drilled through it. But I'll save that for my build thread :p

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly a copy of the Ghost, but what can you do? :)

Looks like a great start! You also have a great looking workshop!

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, the workshop stays a mess during the summer, I normally only use it in the winter when it's too cold to be outside in the sun.

OP
OP
kingrl2

kingrl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1117.jpg

Stand is done and vinegar water is running through the tank to clean. Next step is to build my sump out of a 40G breeder I have.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I like the way you did your stand. Good load transfer, but looks good, too.

Brandon

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back