Overflow flow ratings

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys how do the flow ratings of overflows work? is it more the size of the overflow plumbing diameter or the overflow box, or the overflows built into the tank?

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combination of all of the above I suppose, bulkhead fitting diameter would seem to be the ultimate limiting factor.

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combination of all of the above I suppose, bulkhead fitting diameter would seem to be the ultimate limiting factor.&nbsp;<br type="_moz">

OP
OP
ajones2n

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how do they correlate? I can come to an assumption about the bulkhead size contributing to the outcome, but if I had two 3/4" overflows how would I determine the flow rate?

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the double-tap... the overflow design in itself will play a large roll. Stockman, Durso, Herbie, Bean-Animal... those are the 4 most popular designs I am aware of.

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some overflow plumbing designs allow for a "full siphon", which can effectively move a much higher volume of water in comparison to a design that only allows a waterfall to trickle down the interior of the drain pipe.

Another thing, high water flow through the sump is a common misconception. Think of your sump as a rest-stop on the road to better water quality!

The slower the display water passes through your sump, the longer your skimmer has time to properly interact with your tank-water and do it's job.

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how do they correlate? I can come to an assumption about the bulkhead size contributing to the outcome, but if I had two 3/4" overflows how would I determine the flow rate?

Assuming a standard drain design without a full siphon, typically a 1" bulkhead will drain up to 700gph. A 3/4" bulkhead will max out around (maybe just under) 500gph. There are a lot of factors to change this, but these are numbers I've actually tested using Durso and Stockman drains.

Mac

OP
OP
ajones2n

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406942599.922688.jpg

So what kind of overflow would this be considered? I have a dual overflow what (in your best guess) would the rating be if this system?

Btw they are plumbed into 1" bulkheads.

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the "Megaflow" overflow kit used by AGA/Aqueon which is based on a improved Durso design.

Are you trying to determine what GPH return pump to run?

OP
OP
ajones2n

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based on what I've read on the flow ratings I've bought an eco1584 for my return pump. Should be adequate right?

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your pump all hooked up?

Looks like that pump is rated 1584gph @ 0' head and should put out close to 1200gph @ 5' which is more than enough... You will probably want to plumb a ball valve at the pump output so you can further reduce the flow if needed.

OP
OP
ajones2n

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't yet. I'm dry fitting all the plumbing together planned on having a double union ball valve on each return.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back