TBS Rock the Package

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here have experience with Tampa Bay Saltwater and their package? I like the idea of real live rock, all the life, and ease. The sponges ect would be great for the fish I want to keep. Curious though about the actual rock and its density ect.

I have also looked at liverocknreef.com and their buna rock. The shape looks great but I really don't want to drop alot of cash on some half dead rock that getting dry rock would be close to the same result.

Any other suggestions would also be welcome.

Thanks guy/gals

sluicebox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a package from them 15 years ago. It contained a lot of life and some unwanted critters like mantis shrimp, unknown worms, etc. Have to really pay attention and let it fully cycle. But, for the cost difference, I would always suggest dry rock. Then you know what is in your tank.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting live RIL ok like that is soooo old school like 15 years ago... too risky these days

OP
OP
TitansFan

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old school and too risky?? why you say that? the worst hitchhikers i got years ago were from frags. so i get a few bad crabs and a green 3 inch mantis that i actually would be happy to get. I kept a mantis for a year till I had to move and it was good fun costing me a snail or crab here and there.

sluicebox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old school and too risky?? why you say that? the worst hitchhikers i got years ago were from frags. so i get a few bad crabs and a green 3 inch mantis that i actually would be happy to get. I kept a mantis for a year till I had to move and it was good fun costing me a snail or crab here and there.

I've never understood why someone with all the answers would bother to ask the question!

OP
OP
TitansFan

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because that's not the question they were asking in the first place.

Exactly. Your comments maybe the reason many new people hesitate to post in these forums as to be worried about replies such as these that add nothing to the thread and may make them feel ignorant or uncomfortable. Remember the golden rule...

The worst hitch hikers I have ever gotten were from frags. I am more concerned with rock density. I don't want to buy concrete blocks thrown into the ocean.

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tukani rock is light. I have one rock the size of a basketball and it weighs 7 lbs. A fiji rock would easily be twice the weight.

OP
OP
TitansFan

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pics of it in a tank as it was received? With tampa bay I know the the 300lbs of live rock will be alive. It scares me to buy 300lbs of "live" rock and receive what dry rock could give me in a few months. Florida rock scares me with everything I read on the density. I dont want live concrete.

thanks

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to think about since you don't want concrete thrown in the ocean. While it's not concrete the TBS is essentially the same rock as reef saver, Marco, and reef rocks but it is in fact thrown in the ocean to become live rock with all the critters. They start with dry which is in fact rock from old carribean reefs. If you are looking for lighter less dense you should probably look towards LR from the pacific.
That said I've heard many good things about TBS and did consider it but the cost kept me out.

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 28lbs after I scrubbed it
uploadfromtaptalk1412730294061.jpg

This rock was just about 7lbs
uploadfromtaptalk1412730355030.jpg

31lbs all together (the rest is in the sump)
uploadfromtaptalk1412730400090.jpg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say it scares me, it is the hitchhikers and other unwanted from true live rock just harvested. I remember 15 years ago when I got my first saltwater tank I got true live rock. It was covered in all sorts of growth of every kind. Today I love my coralline covered rocks and just my corals. Nothing extra.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say it scares me, it is the hitchhikers and other unwanted from true live rock just harvested. I remember 15 years ago when I got my first saltwater tank I got true live rock. It was covered in all sorts of growth of every kind. Today I love my coralline covered rocks and just my corals. Nothing extra.

I have nothing bad from these rocks. I have gotten some nasty stuff from frags though. My point is, you're gonna get bad bugs anyways. Why not have breeding populations of chitons, limpets, snails, peanut worms and all the other beneficial critters that come with live rock?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing bad from these rocks. I have gotten some nasty stuff from frags though. My point is, you're gonna get bad bugs anyways. Why not have breeding populations of chitons, limpets, snails, peanut worms and all the other beneficial critters that come with live rock?
I agree,I am a big fan of sponges and ball anemones myself.You could buy yourself dry rock in your preferred shape and density,then seed it with some choice liverock.I enjoy digging through the bins at my LFS -WYSIWYG!

OP
OP
TitansFan

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a package from Tampa Bay. Great experience thus far. There is a nice mantis living in my tank. I'm not too worried about 4 inch smasher too much. I kept one in a bio cube for a couple years long ago. Fairly harmless might lose a snail or 2 here and there and hopefully he takes a liking to the couple of gorilla crabs I have. I love the life in the rock and figure it a good trade off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back