nuvo 16 set up

05grandprix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the set up new from lfs. Sat it up when i sat it up i used new sand and water from my red sea tank 8 gallons from it and 8 fresh salt, replaced the stock filter holder with the InTank set up, let it cycle added fish then added cuc. Everything was doing great so added some coral the coral never opened or came out and started to die. Parameters were as follows
Ph-8.0, ammonia0.0ppm, nitrites 0.0ppm, nitrate 5

For media I am using chemi pure elite, purigen, and brs carbon.

Can not figure why corals won't live!!!! Waited 3 months for it to change nothing ever did :-(

So tonight I started completely over disposed of everything ( water, media, sand). The rocks I rinsed with ro water and reused. The tank was rinsed out and wiped out and cleaned with vinegar and rinsed and dried. This time I changed my sand and used fresh salt water that I made tonight ( red sea coral pro salt). Added start right bacteria so that I could add my clowns and goby.

Any ideas what could be the issue hope that restarting the tank will cure the issue.

Btw

Any coral that was not doing well was dipped in coral Rx and transferred to my red sea max where it is opening up and growing. Very confused please help?

OP
OP
05grandprix

05grandprix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral was zoas, gsp, blastos. The fish and cuc doing fine along with the pods. The lights are the stock lights. Friends tank using same setup has the same corals and all is living.

scason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an identical setup toncompare. Look at what isn't the same. Gravity additives etc and go from there. What gets me is how you put them in another tank and they where fine. So it wasn't the corals. What are you doing to this tank that your not doing on your other tank ? It's going to be a game of elimination of suspects

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you check the salinity? I would think that it would be something simple but important. What were you using for flow?

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How also do you do your water changes. When I kept a nano or smaller volume tank water changes had to be much more precise. The water had to mix long enough for ph to stabilize and had to make sure to match temps and salinity.

OP
OP
05grandprix

05grandprix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the salinity is 1.023. For flow I am using a jabeo wave maker. Water changes every 3 days I change 2 gallons.

scason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That a lot of water changes. Also corals typically like a bit more gravity .025 range but 23 isn't bad at all. May want to back off the wc to 1 week or even two. I run 2 on mine. With 3 fish you should be fine. There needs to be ammonia in the system for the bacteria to feed on. With a 16 gallon system doesn't sound like it has built up enough to actually build up enough of the good stuff. Have you taken your water down to a lfs to have it tested? Maintaining temp of 75-78 ? Remember while adding a product such as Dr time one and only it is intended as a "jump start" on a tank cycle but by no means it is a complete cycle .

scason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure your using fish tank only items. I mean by that is your not using items that are washed in the dishwasher or towels and such that are washed in detergent that has fragrances and additives. These can leave behind residue that could be transfer to the tank. In a 16 just a tiny amount can have a huge effect in water condition stability. Just keep at it and rememver the oceans were notl created over night or a week and neither can the reef in your home.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back