Aquarium Controllers

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned an Aquatronica (fantastic, but expensive and hard to get support for since they're in Italy), Reef Keeper Elite, and an Apex.

When the RKE first came out, it was riddled with bugs. The first units had capacitive buttons (non-mechanical) that didn't work well, they only had one, third-party developer fixing software issues which meant it was slow to get fixes, and to update the firmware, you have to take the whole system down and upgrade every piece, one piece at a time (this is still true). They got off on a bad foot, and Neptune came in and introduced the Apex during all of this. The Apex was night and day better. Nowhere near as many bugs, came with an ethernet port built in (separate module on the RKE), built in dimming ports. It was a better deal (until DA dropped the price of the RKE accordingly) and most people jumped ship, myself included. My understanding is that DA has since caught up with the RKE and is also working on a new base module called the Archon.

My Apex has been running so well, I'm just not interested in jumping ship again, personally. But I do know there are other RKE users in the club and a recent convert from ReefAngel, too. In fact, his unit is for sale right now... haha!

They'll both control a tank well at this point. I went and stuck with an Apex for the built in dimming and ethernet ports. They also have fantastic support. If you email in, they usually respond within a couple of hours or less. Not always, but usually. And it doesn't matter if your unit is under warranty or not, they'll help you with software issues. Getting hardware repaired, on the other hand, you will have to pay for it if its out of warranty, but that's standard. They also have a really great forum with a lot of helpful people. I ask questions over there and usually receive answers very quickly. I know DA also has a forum, but I'm not sure how their support compares these days. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

Brandon

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RKE does what I want it to, not too many issues with it. Once I got everything wired together and running it's easy to use. Have nothing to compare to.

OP
OP
ajones2n

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandons I've been looking into them for a while just gotta talk myself into pulling the trigger. And find out exactly what I want to buy. What's the biggest difference between the lite and full versions if the apex? Can you expand and upgrade your lite to basically be a full set up or is there something vastly different between them?

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my experience so far on the reef angel and apex I would say if you are looking for something that looks mainstream then go for the apex or if you looking to spend money. The apex has its ups (fusion) but for sure has a lot of down. For example the relay box only has two relay switches the rest are not, connecting the apex or coding is not user friendly you have to know what you are doing.

The reef angel looks cheaper but perform great. It's easier to set up and code which is surprising being an open source controller also all 8 switches are relay controlled.

In the end I like both they both do the same thing but I do have to say that out of all the controllers out there apex has them with fusion. No one out there has anything like it.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what your timing is like as far as when to purchase, but I would wait another few weeks and see what people think of the Archon from Digital Aquatics. I have been beta testing one (beta tester for DA for 5 years now) and it is extremely simple to set up and use. It is a completely different approach for DA and I think people will really like it. It is Linux based and very robust. The interface is web-based so it will work on any device that has a web browser.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a club member who is also beta testing. I'm not sure if he can identify himself as such or not, but he may be able to chime on on the Archon, also.

Brandon

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the Archon will sell for somewhere between $300 and $500 depending on what package you are buying. The Archon main unit is compatible with all of the current DA modules, so you wouldn't need to buy a whole new system. I believe there is some pricing info on their Facebook page.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing the Archon. It's a long way from where da started years ago. I am not sure I can speak much publicly about it but if you can hold your purchase for a month or two do it. Pm me and I'll share more details.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Pickup...The Archon is significantly different from the RKE or RKL line in how you access the programming. I have also had access to the draft manual and it is quite easy to understand and gives plenty of information on setting everything up. Reef keeper users will be very happy with it.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like DA is targeting January 20th as the ship date for the Archon systems. All of the beta testers have beat them up pretty good and have come up with some more features that should be included with the software side of the system. DA has been implementing these and fixing a few of the little new product bugs that we have found and are getting things tightened up pretty good. Hopefully those of you that pre-ordered them will be seeing them before the end of the month.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is Puratek. IMO one of the best controllers on the market. High quality components and reliability. Also a R2R sponsor!

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still planning on grabbing one, Rick? Or have you already?

Brandon

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I'm curious to see their units in action.

Brandon

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%

Back