Anyone going to MACNA?

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. My wife and I are considering going to MACNA this year. Is anyone else going? We have never been so any tips?

Vanmo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im 50/50 as well. Usually that time of year it becomes a time off work issue more than anything. But after going last year since it was local to me, I can't see going a year and letting it go by without going, might just have to make it happen.

JSeward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can fit it into your schedule and budget, GO! I've been to the previous two and my tickets for DC were bought and hotel was booked before I left Denver.

The opportunity to talk to and learn from the people that make this hobby possible is something you don't want to miss out on. It's awesome to go sit down with Scott Fellman and discuss his most recent articles and then go pick Austin Lefevre's brain about a coral you're having trouble keeping alive. It's a great time talking to and getting to know all of the vendors, but it is absolutely mind blowing to listen to, and converse with the people who literally make this hobby possible and expand man kinds knowledge of the oceans and what's in it. The guys who actually risked their lives to discover, classify, and collect the animals we keep in our tanks. Having Richard Pyle narrate his unedited dive footage of his search for the Coelacanth was a once in a lifetime (and hilarious) experience. Being in the room when Rufus Kimura announced that the Masked Angel pair he collected bred in Karen Brittain's lab was incredible. There are hundreds of conversations and experiences I've had in only 6 days of MACNA that I could not possibly describe with enough enthusiasm. Your knowledge of the hobby will grow exponentially no matter how long you've been in the hobby.

Besides learning stuff and buying things, there's a lot to do. The banquet, drinking, raffles, parties, host city, and drinking is always a lot of fun and a bit controversial at times (you'd understand if you went). My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoy the experience and count down the days until the next one. 183 days BTW.

You really do owe it to yourself, and the animals that you care for, to go to at least one MACNA. You wont regret it.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. My wife has to schedule her vacations way I advance and she just happened to pick that week. Neither of us has been to DC and it would be a great break from the kids. We haven't had time to really look into it yet but we are seriously considering it.

JSeward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went a week early and spent the time before MACNA hiking and site seeing all over Colorado. If you want to see DC, I would go early and conclude the trip with MACNA so you can get any live goods that you might purchase home as soon as possible. If you're able to get a full conference pass (which I recommend), there will be enough to do during MACNA that you won't have much of a chance to explore DC.

I'd also like to mention that there is usually a number of people that don't enjoy themselves at all. Those people are the ones that spend all of their time complaining about the free stuff, raffles, and a joke or two said by a speaker they didn't find funny. They focus on the wrong part of the conference and miss out on all the great stuff. If you're going with the intention to learn and score some awesome livestock, you'll have a great time.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree wholeheartedly with J. MACNA is at least, the best frag fest/tradeshow that you can go to. At the most, it is an opportunity to expand your knowledge, love and understanding for this hobby. I guarantee that you will learn a ton and have a great time. Speaking to leaders and experts in the hobby along with other reefers from around the states as well as the world is priceless. Here on a national forum we make friends with people that we converse with but have never met. Pick a spot and a time and plan to meet for a drink and a face to face experience. It is so worthwhile. All of the local frag swaps and coral farmers markets, RAP, MAX, etc are all great events, but they can't hold a candle to what MACNA is. It is truly the grandaddy show of the marine aquarium hobby. Make plans and GO. It is a must see!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 9.1%
Back