2014 nano in 90?

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing this again, this year?

Its so close to June, that if it's happening again, ill delay adding livestock and enter the tank, I was suppose to enter last year.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys! We're not ignoring you... We are planning to run the contest again and will make an announcement once we iron out the dates and prizes.

-M&T

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this waiting time could be used for scouring up parts, tanks, stands, lights, get tanks cleaned up, materials orders sorted, brainstorming ideas turned into concept threads and let the prizes and reveals about how to prove you started on time come later.

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this waiting time could be used for scouring up parts, tanks, stands, lights, get tanks cleaned up, materials orders sorted, brainstorming ideas turned into concept threads and let the prizes and reveals about how to prove you started on time come later.

Ive been thinking the same thing...its almost June and that's when it usually starts and nothing has been said about it.

I understand it does take A LOT of time and effort...but it's kind of a tradition and once it's over, there is a whole year to plan ahead. :)

Hopefully word comes soon...my tank will have 3 remotes and not one will be for the tank lighting...you gotta let me enter that ;-)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like we will be doing this yea! I am securing prizes now. Terry should chime in soon after we get together.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have DATES!

The 2014 Nano in 90 contest dates are July 1st thru October 1st!

As in previous contests, you may start your builds and cycle your tanks ahead of time. A cleanup crew is allowed, as well as macro algae in sump for filtration - Otherwise, no livestock before the start of the contest. Size limits are the same as last year.

We will post the official contest rules and information once we have all of the details worked out - probably some time next week.

So STAY TUNED...

-M&T

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have DATES!

The 2014 Nano in 90 contest dates are July 1st thru October 1st!

As in previous contests, you may start your builds and cycle your tanks ahead of time. A cleanup crew is allowed, as well as macro algae in sump for filtration - Otherwise, no livestock before the start of the contest. Size limits are the same as last year.

We will post the official contest rules and information once we have all of the details worked out - probably some time next week.

So STAY TUNED...

-M&T

Ahh..july...that's so far away.

So I can set up the tank, prior to July 1st but besides rock and clean up crew, no livestock can be added before july 1st?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. You can throw a piece of chaeto in there and watch it float around.

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Those dates might let someone set up their tank at a school.

I would like to propose a rule change. I think shipping cost should be accounted for in some way. If someone orders a $5 frag on eBay but it costs $35 in shipping, then it's really a $40 frag, though in previous years you'd only have to count it as $5 off your budget. If you chose to order another frag that was $40 with free shipping, you'd have to include the entire $40 in your budget. If you reach a vendor's free shipping limit by spending a lot, then great! If you have to go to your LFS for livestock, an estimate of the round trip fuel / public transit costs would be fair enough. And if you are able to grow out frags from another tank you own, great -- that's definitely environmentally conscious.

The idea is to help viewers have an accurate picture of what it would take to stock a tank. It would also help us learn which vendors have the best shipping rates. I would be fine with shipping costs being tracked separate from the livestock budget if y'all are happy with the budget amounts. In other words, they wouldn't have to count against the contestant, except perhaps when being judged in the frugal/budget category.

Anyway, I hope you can find a way to include shipping costs in the rules that doesn't make it overly complicated. What do you think?

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Those dates might let someone set up their tank at a school.

I would like to propose a rule change. I think shipping cost should be accounted for in some way. If someone orders a $5 frag on eBay but it costs $35 in shipping, then it's really a $40 frag, though in previous years you'd only have to count it as $5 off your budget. If you chose to order another frag that was $40 with free shipping, you'd have to include the entire $40 in your budget. If you reach a vendor's free shipping limit by spending a lot, then great! If you have to go to your LFS for livestock, an estimate of the round trip fuel / public transit costs would be fair enough. And if you are able to grow out frags from another tank you own, great -- that's definitely environmentally conscious.

The idea is to help viewers have an accurate picture of what it would take to stock a tank. It would also help us learn which vendors have the best shipping rates. I would be fine with shipping costs being tracked separate from the livestock budget if y'all are happy with the budget amounts. In other words, they wouldn't have to count against the contestant, except perhaps when being judged in the frugal/budget category.

Anyway, I hope you can find a way to include shipping costs in the rules that doesn't make it overly complicated. What do you think?

The only thing is, how do you determine which was for the frag and not thw fish. In previous yeara there has only been a budget for coral..not fish, so if I buy a fish and then the a frag on top of it, now I gotta claim that shipping cost?

I see your point your trying to get across, but if someone is ready to jump in and has purchased everything...if they didn't get free shipping, a few shipping charges doesn't really change the viewpoint of what it takes to run and stock a tank or make someone think twice about doing it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back