OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone got a new friend today and seems pretty happy about it.

We didn't tell him about the QT.

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on your build. I'm rooting for you. I also have a new son named jaxson. He was 3 months earlier I built his first nano while he was in the nicu for 2 months 2 weeks and 3 days. What a release it was.

Attachments

• 1405952969245.jpg
    1405952969245.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on your build. I'm rooting for you. I also have a new son named jaxson. He was 3 months earlier I built his first nano while he was in the nicu for 2 months 2 weeks and 3 days. What a release it was.
Thank you. I can't imagine what that must have been like. Glad he is home.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week Three Update.
Another pic from picking up Jacksons Bicolor Angel

Bad reflection but here is the Angel in QT

This pic is from my display tank but it is a pic of the mother mushroom that I added babies earlier this week. So far still looks like just 3 baby shrooms.

The dubbed Hollywood Stunner chalice still alive but is less and less green.

Frag Pic 1

Frag Pic 2

Frag Pic 3

Zoas. Did another peroxide bath earlier this week hoping to get some more growth.

Favia

Other Zoa

FTS

Purchased the nicest Darwin Clown I have ever seen yesterday from Oceans Above here locally in Salinas. They have it in there QT for the next few days. Came as a threesome from another local reefer with the largest magnifica I've seen. I was able to get a deal since they will sell the others as a pair. I'll add the clown first and continue to treat the Angel for a few weeks. A little bit of a gamble which I wouldn't normally do but I feel better about that than putting the clown in with the Angel. Fingers Crossed.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fish De Resistance

Acclimated and gave a Paraguard dip. Normally would QT but I don't trust the health of the Angel and it was from an LFS I had never been too.

Did a little rescaping. A little better but I need more rock to complete my vision.

They were doing good but as I left for work they were starting to fight a little.
In my previous tank I had a Clarkii with my ocellaris pair. Both Ocellaris were submissive to the Clarkii so its interesting to see the female have this behavior. Never seen her shake and vibrate the way she did today.

I know there is no guarantee they pair up but hopefully this is the start of a beautiful relationship.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all that's a really dirty trick, cute babies always get my vote. Good thing I'm not judging this competition. :eyebrows:
He's absolutely adorable, especially with fishy on his lap. Too cute. Sorry to hear about your grandpa. :(
That Darwin clown is gorgeous.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! Another clownfish odd couple :)
Yeah hoping they pair up. So far just happy they are coexisting and everyone was alive when I came home on night one.

First of all that's a really dirty trick, cute babies always get my vote. Good thing I'm not judging this competition. :eyebrows:
He's absolutely adorable, especially with fishy on his lap. Too cute. Sorry to hear about your grandpa. :(
That Darwin clown is gorgeous.
With so many great tanks I just appreciate people reading my posts but if the baby helps who am I to say no. Thank you for your condolences I truly appreciate it. I met someone that had paired wild Darwins and I was sold. Unfortunately my male clown passed which opened up the opportunity but hoping they pair up.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week Four Update

Its crazy to think it has already been a month.

This week I added the black clown. They are getting along pretty good. Still have the Bicolor Angel in QT. Been eating good so I plan to start medicating this weekend. Noticing a decent algae and diatom bloom the past week. I've done three water changes. When I did the first one I noticed the water had a pink tint so trying to dilute that down. My water changes have been pulling out a few gallons then adding a gallon or so and removing that gallon again. Takes a little more time and water but seems to work better at getting parameters lowered faster.

Hoping to work on the aquascape this weekend then hopefully getting a few frags the following weekend. I've waited a little due to the bloom but I also should beef up the cuc soon. Its always an ongoing process.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few FTS shots showing the diatom bloom

Tried to capture a shot of the Darwin clown. The tank was spraying a ton of microbubbles. The new clown has some small white spots. I'm assuming its murphys law and I didn't QT so he has Ich.
Hoping that's not the case.

A few coral pics

My tank came with a CPR Bakpak. I haven't had it on the nano yet. I can't tell how it would fit. Has anyone had any luck with this?

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another lesson learned. I knew better than to skip quarantine but I got cocky. Whenever you think something is to easy its to easy for a reason. So far it looks like just the new clown has Ich but you can't be too cautious.

I tried to go get RO so tomorrow I could do a large water change and treat the fish. The water store vending machines are all broken. LFS is closed. Had I qtd like normal I wouldn't have to stress, runaround or cause more work.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay misdiagnosis. Upon further progression as well as research we have....brooklynella.

Started day 1 of dipping. First dip 4ml of Paraguard to 1.5 gallons of saltwater.

Tonight will be the first time I do a freshwater dip.

The plan is to alternate daily between hour saltwater dips and 5 minute freshwater dips.

Phone pics came out best bit still not great.

So the female has it as well. Had to unfortunately delay treatment because I couldn't get water until yesterday. Went to the LFS and there clowns are healthy. I'm not sure how the parasite got introduced to my system.

Anyone had luck treating Brooklynella?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about the outbreak :( I've not dealt with brook but a bump for your question to get some assistance!

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, poor you and poor fishies :(
Thank you. Definitely not fun. Lost the Royal Gramma.
I'm sorry to hear about the outbreak :( I've not dealt with brook but a bump for your question to get some assistance!
Thanks for the bump

Did my first freshwater dip since getting in the hobby this evening. Took me awhile to get the pH matched up. Ended up with a 2 gallon batch with 6ml of Paraguard.

Fish were dipped for 10 minutes and didn't seem to experience any serious stress. Then they went in a short saltwater bath before going back into the tank. I also received Garlic Guard and started soaking their food. No visible change yet. Tomorrow is another hour long saltwater dip. I'll do an 8 gallon water change. Apparently Brooklynella are free swimming but require a host to survive. Not the ideal process since this way will take longer but with the angel in QT I don't want to cross contaminate. Ironic I thought the Angel would infect the clowns turns out it was the opposite.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping the term things will get worse before they get better is true.

I've never seen something progress so quickly.

What's the max water change % anyone has ever done?

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the text while I was at work that the black clown didn't make it.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means an expert but it looks a bit like velvet to me. Are you sure it's brook? so sorry for your loss :(

Back