Jackson's Nursery Tank

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to start this thread for about a month now. On April 26th I was blessed with a son, Jackson. This thread and our entry will chronicle the start of his first tank. While my wife is pregnant I started thinking since I have my 50 gallon my child (boy or girl was a surprise) needed their own baby tank. I have an Eclipse 28 gallon that is my QT that I planned to retrofit.

My original concept was to build a stand shaped like an ark. The tank would be the house shaped fixture you normally see on top of the ark. Inside the tank I planned to have DIY rock shaped like animals then all the livestock would be paired. I already had an occelaris pair I planned to move out of my display. The animal shaped rocks just came out looking like contorted blobs. the time invested to make the stand with the baby on the way proved to be a much larger task than I had time for. I came across this JBJ Nanocube from someone locally. It took about a month because I had a limited budget but after a few other buyers backed out I tried again and the tank was mine... or Jackson's. We were in the process of purchasing a home so the nanocube sat in storage for about four months.

The clowns sat in qt throughout the four month process and then some. While I'm past noahs ark I thought they should still go in the nano. Unfortunately two weeks ago the male took a turn for the worse. I thought it was swim bladder but decided to treat with paraguard just in case. The female stayed right by his side for about three days. It turned out it wasn't SBI and she started showing the same symptoms. The male made it two more days. I kept treating the tank and thinking happy thoughts. With little progress I decided to try dipping her in concentrated paraguard. She went belly up within five minutes. I freaked out and put her back in qt thinking it was the end. The next morning she ate for the first time in three days. Its been a week and she seems back to normal. So I don't know the cause but learned a few things through the process. Apparently the paired ark tank wouldn't have worked out anyway.

So the current tank has been up and cycled about a month. One of the ideas was a comic book tank. I purchased a few comic named corals which you l see but I decided I didn't want a TV SHOW theme tank. Just looking to make the tank fun and interesting for my son. So while there are prizes involved and I'll gladly take them if I happen to be lucky enough to be worthy, my true goal for this thread is to chronicle the start of my sons tank. Hopefully in a few years we will look back on this and see how his colonies started out as frags, how he and his tank have both matured, and just see how his interest int he hobby all started. The is no guarantee that my son will be the mini reefer I have in mind but maybe he will contribute to the hobby enough to keep it going in the future. This is how it all starts.

DSCN2133.jpg
DSCN2134.jpg
DSCN2135.jpg
DSCN2136.jpg

Good luck everyone!

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the scape is a work in progress and I'm still debating on whether to go Hawaiian Black sand or just bare bottom. The rocks came with the tank aside from 10 lbs of misc I picked up at Your Reef up in Sac.

With the rock I picked up two frag packs.

C03 - $19
YR Pink Eye Acan Echinta
YR Pink Limeade Favia
YR Orange Icee Zoas
Hulk Tonga Mushroom

A03 - $32
YR Pink Lady Chalice
Fire and Ice Montastria
Fire and Ice Zoa
Joker Paly Morph

Still new to forums so I need to figure out how to post the receipt. By my understanding of the rules that puts my current spend at $25.50

I need to work on photo editing but here is at least a start of what will be added.
DSCN2159.jpg
DSCN2161.jpg
DSCN2166.jpg
DSCN2167.jpg
DSCN2157.jpg

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's the Joker. Starting with 10 heads. A rock fell on this frag an smashed one of the polyps.

This is the second fire and ice ZOA. Its hard to tell a major difference between the two.

Purple Hulk Tonga Shroom. Having Hulk in the name I imagined this being a huge mushroom. It may just be young but so far not that big.

All Your Reef frags were kept in my display tank for the past few weeks until the start of the contest.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh cool! Congrats bro!! :)

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few more frags getting added yo the tank. Christmas Favia and Green Chalice. I didn't think to ask for a name on the chalice but feel free to ID if you happen to know. Picked up Sunday from Milpitas. So it traveled a few hours was transferred between a few tanks and dipped. Hopefully the green comes back it was losing color in a few spots.

Not quite a man yet so the baby, the myth, the legend. Rocking a captain adorable shirt. Any sponsors have shirts in the 3-6 month range?

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Independence Day America!

Added our first fish....Royal Gramma. My local LFS qtd him for me for the past three weeks since my clown debacle was going on in my own qt.

Hoping with the three day weekend I can play with photo editing. Still need to get timers so I don't have to manually switch the lights. I figured corals will start doing better when they are on an actual timeline. Currently the tank is running of 2 mj1200s as returns with nothing else for water flow. One return is just a directional coming off the partition. The other is a locline spray bar that runs along back/bottom of the tank. The wavemaker is switching between the pumps every few minutes. I found with both on it kicked to much up into the water column. So I need to a little maintenence this weekend as well.

Lastly I really want to go through and get a count on the polyps/ to start so I can have a good idea on growth at the end of the 90 days.

Still on the livestock list is going to be a black Ocellaris, maybe a small bicolor or flame angel, and a shrimp of some kind.

CUC is currently two trochus and an Astrea. I may move a turbo and a few more trochus over from my display. The only other inverts that I want to add will be a few bubble tips. I figured it was better to get rockwork done and the tank a little more established before adding the nems.

Corals still to be added. I'd like to get some SPS, I've heard they do well under the leds. I have some zoas and shrooms that I will also be moving over from my display.

Currently I have 10 frags and have spent $45.50.

Have a great 4th everyone!

got2envy

hello fishy fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! Jackson's tanks looks awesome! I <3 Royal Grammas! I was thinking of adding one to my tank too :)

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm losing Zoas at a fairly rapid pace of a polyp a day. Never had this problem on my display which runs on t5s. Wondering if maybe if frying them under the LEDs?

In an effort to save the remaining does anyone have any recommendation? Looks like I'm down to one open a closed large polyp and a closed baby. I think based on my pictures I started with 7-8 polyps. I read about hydrogen peroxide dip? I also have Revive. Do I cut out the dead?

Not a good pic but it was the best I could capture.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to be proactive and go with the Hydrogen Peroxide dip. &nbsp;Hopefully that was all that was needed and I learned something in the process of this contest. &nbsp;I filled an old 500ML Salinity bottle with tank water. Filled the container I was going to dip about half way which I guesstimated at 250ml. &nbsp;From what I read I would need to add 3% water volume of Hydrogen Peroxide slowly until bubbles form around the zoas.<br><br><br><br>While the Zoa was in the hydrogen peroxide dip I used my fragging tweezers to scrape off all the dead zoas. Ended up with 4 polyps which is a 50% reduction since July 1st. If only they grew that fast.<br><br>I tried the same thing on the other Fire and Ice variation. &nbsp;Didn't end up with any bubbles so I'm hoping the fungus or bacteria was only on the first plug.<br><br><br>As long as I was taking pictures her is top down<br>&nbsp;<br><br>The chalice has 18 heads.<br><br><br>Lighting, apparently the previous owner made some retrofits by adding more blues down the center. &nbsp;He also mentioned the lights were too strong so he disconnected the second and fourth led strips.<br><br><br>A little blurry but here is the filtration&nbsp;<br><br>Currently have filter media and Seachem Matrix alternating in the media basket. &nbsp;Then I added some more of the filter media around the basket with filter floss. &nbsp;The media and Matrix all came out of the canister filter I recently stopped using on my display. &nbsp;I figured this would help add the bacteria in the beginning but I'm pretty sure it also brought the detritus with it so I will start fazing it out.<br><br>I'll give the zoas a few days to recover and see if it helped. &nbsp;I don't want to shock them but I also don't want to lose them so I may try Revive as a last ditch effort to save them.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 1 Tank Update

Still at 10 frags and total coral investment of $45.50.

Pretty sure I've experienced my first case of zoa pox since getting into the hobby.

My green mushroom in my display just detached creating a few babies. That will probably be my next addition to the tank to see how they grow under LEDs.

New power supply with timers and Marine snow on order to get going this week.

Hope to complete the zoa pox fight soon.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your little one!The chalice you purchased looks like a Hollywood stunner to me.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed when viewing with tapatalk some threads show pictures when scrolling through everyone's threads and others don't. Still getting used to reef2reef so just making sure I'm doing everything correctly.

We had a loss in our family today so in an effort to stay busy and keep my mind right I decided my clown was ready to move out of the dark garage qt and up to the new nano.

Pre Clown FTS

Frag with zoa pox seems to be improving, it added a new polyp at least

Got my shipment in of salt, marine snow, and a power center. New light timing is 10 hours actinic with two hour daylight. Every few days I will bump the daylight up.

Tough pic but the pink lady chalice has definitely receded

Coral pics

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for your loss.My aquariums help me appreciate the little(really tiny) things when I am feeling down.

OP
OP
ferchb

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week Two Update:
Its been a difficult week to say the least. I lost my grandpa last Thursday so I wasn't that motivated on the tank. Then the other night as I was holding Jackson he started noticing the clown first time. His eyes followed her for awhile and at one point he smiled.

Nothing like that to get the motivation up again. I'd like to find a few pieces to as a tribute to my grandpa. He was a huge Sinatra fan so there must be some coral out there with blue eyes right? If nothing else we both liked the late great Johnny Cash so I know I can get a ring of fire frag.

Tank wise I added the rock with the baby mushrooms from my display.

At first I thought it was just two babies but theres another one developing on the side. So FMV I'm calling it +$30. If the developing one is multiple I will adjust the spend.

Other than that everything is okay. LPS seem to be doing good. The two chalices not so much. Never had chalice before so I don't know if the water isn't clean enough or what but hopefully they pull a 180. Started 5ml of Marine Snow Tuesdays and Fridays.

So I have the coral itch again but a mortgage coming up. Sold a guitar so hopefully I can piece together a small order after the first of the month.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back