OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this tank earlier this year with the intention of using it as a coral quarantine tank. I've had it cycling for a couple months so the Marco rock could become well seasoned. When I saw this competition I decided to do both. I am working on a 105 gal. LPS build that I will likely move this into after the contest.
Here's the rundown of the setup:
29 gal. Solana all in one
Tunze 9002 skimmer with mediabaskets.com modified collection cup.
MP10
Tunze ATO
Eheim 1000 return
T5 blue plus lighting

Last edited:
OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love working with the Marco rock. You can make any formation you want. In this tank I was trying to make many places to mount corals, create an intricate structure for fish to move through and I wanted to disguise the return nozzle.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan for this tank is a mixed reef with fine textured corals. What I mean by that is plan to use corals with smaller polyps and shorter branching. Lots of encrusting montis, cyphastraea, psammacora, and leptoseris. Also want to add some acans, shrooms and zoas/plays and a master scoly, lol just kidding. How funny would it be if somebody entered their nano with just one master scoly in it?
What I like about nanos is the challenge of creating what looks like a full scale reef in miniature. I'm also a plant geek and I liken nano reefs to penjing. Most of you haven't heard of penjing but you've probably heard of bonsai. Bonsai is a miniature plant that looks like a mature tree and penjing is basically a miniature forest or landscape. That is my goal in this challenge, to create a miniature reef that is as intricate as a full size reef tank. Livestock to come next week.

OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a symbiotic relationship when paired with a pistol shrimp. Get her a little shrimp to look after. Their relationship in your tank will fascinate you

OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a symbiotic relationship when paired with a pistol shrimp. Get her a little shrimp to look after. Their relationship in your tank will fascinate you

I've been considering it. She has plenty of places to hide now but I can't help but think that the natural symbiosis must be beneficial. I read a thread where a male and female shared the same hole with one shrimp.

OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought these corals from my DT at home.
Left to right: WWC bulk leptoseris, CC red branching cyphastraea, CC ice blue leptastraea, and JF PPE cyphastraea. I bought these a while back and all were in the $20-30 range. They are much bigger now so I need a price check on these. This is my first time in the competition so I'm not sure how to confirm the value. I plan on fragging these to plant them out in masses.

OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new coral additions.

Picked this up from Living Reef Orlando on sale 20% off. $80- $16=$66.

Some frags from my DT

This Garf bonsai broke into 3 pieces so I doll-haired the tip of the point. Originally purchased from WWC. FMV $30.

CC retina blaster. FMV $35.

FT shot

Much more to come.

OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I'm in Tampa there's a few stores I like to check out and last Monday I was there and found some gems.
First off is ORA Mint Pavonia. This frag is so large and well encrusted I couldn't pass it up.

FMV $40

From left to right (FMV) acripora grandis ($30), ORA Poccilopora ($25), and A SCOLY FRAG!!! Woohoo ($50).

Here's a shot of the cut side. They had this one and a bleeding apple both quartered. This was cut about a month ago. I've never seen these available before so I thought I'd give it a try.

And the receipt. Tomorrow i plan on pulling all my receipts together to get the financials in order.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing. John has an amazing store and nice frags. This is a scoly I got from him and it is growing great. It was my first scoly. And my most favorite coral in the tank. Update with pictures in future please.

Attachments

• 1410608736942.jpg
    1410608736942.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 210
  • 1410608812184.jpg
    1410608812184.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
jt17

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing. John has an amazing store and nice frags. This is a scoly I got from him and it is growing great. It was my first scoly. And my most favorite coral in the tank. Update with pictures in future please.

That looks great. Thank for sharing. How long have you had it? I noticed mine put out feeder tentacles slightly yesterday when I fed the tank. +1 on Johns corals and fish. He's one of the few people you can trust in this hobby. They will not sell you something if it's not compatible with your setup or if they think you can't care for it. He sends a lot of money out the door to ensure the animals he sells go to good homes. Much respect for their integrity.

Back