alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pavona Coral - Cactus coral

Albert J. Thiel 2013

Of all of the SPS type corals available in the bobby for Reefs and Nano-Reefs, this is probably one of the easiest ones to keep and, not being too demanding on water quality, on light and on flow, Pavona is an excellent coral for the beginner and for any other Hobbyist for that matter. It truly is an easy coral to keep, grow, frag and to keep in great shape.

largepavona.png

Large Pavona growing outward and upward © A. Thiel – In Author’s Nano-Reef​

The Pavona spp. shown above is growing outward on the large rock it is on, and in a really flat form, meaning a thin layer that expands upwards on the rock, and then to the left of it you can see the branching and curling pieces of it that are growing upwards. Note that since this picture was taken the rock has been moved and the coral is now positioned the other way around with the flat growth on the other side of the curly growths.

If you look closely at the image above and the one below, you can see the short tentacles that the Pavona coral extends to capture food particles. The small flat patch to the right extends about 1.5 inches from the main colony, and the white spot you see in the image above is now no longer present in the one below, as the Pavona has grown some more since that picture was taken. Note that the pictures were taken about 2 weeks apart, so the growth occurred fairly quickly, typical of this type of coral.

pavonanospot.png

The same Pavona growth but as you can see the white spot is no longer present​

The reason there was a white spot to begin with, is that I fragged a piece off the main growth and glued it to a piece of rock, and placed it nearby the other frags of Pavona I already have in my Nano-Reef. You can see how that piece is doing after about 3 days of having been broken off that main part in the image below. It is the one in the middle towards the front.

pavonafragss.png

A view of all the Pavona frags I have including the one referred to above​

Pavona corals are much hardier than most other SPS corals. They are tolerant of most Aquarium Nano-reef type set-ups, doing well under less intense light and are in addition quite disease resistant. They also appear to be very adaptable to not so ideal water quality. However there are obviously limitations to how far the water quality can drop. It should still remain close to what generally acceptable reef aquarium conditions should be.

There are some unique characteristics in the Pavona genus. One is that the genus contains some of the most “autotrophic” species known. Autotrophic is the ability to take simple inorganic substances, such as carbon dioxide, and turn them into organic substances that they can then use for food. Pavona corals make up for less light by absorbing more nutrients in that manner and, therefore, do not require high end LED or even sophisticated types of lighting as is usually needed for other SPS type corals.

In essence if they do not get enough nutrients or “food” from photosynthesis they switch to the autotrophic mode, and obtain some of their nutrition from their symbiotic algae, and some from uptaking dissolved organics from the water and even, as mentioned, using carbon dioxide to turn it in organic carbon sources they can feed on.

Under bright light they do very well without extra feeding, however providing extra food is certainly not going to harm them, and may, therefore, as well be done to promote even better growth.

Another characteristic pointed out by several authors, including Moosleitner, Erhardt and Borneman, is that they can form uncalcified tissue buds on their surface that look like prickly little balloons. Though these growths are decorative, their purpose is unknown. It is known that these buds are not a form of asexual reproduction.

I have also seen little upright growths of what appears to be calcified material, growths that are dark in color when they first start off, but that in a relatively short period of time start to show polyp growth that rises from the base of that growth, upwards, until the little “pillar” is covered in short tentacles like the rest of the Pavona coral. You can actually see such a dark growth in the pictures below. That one has not started to show any polyp growth.

pavonadarkgrowth.png

Dark growth not covered with Polyps yet

pavonaanotherfrag.png

Another Frag broken off the main Growth after 4 days in the Author’s Nano-Reef

Well over 50 species of Pavona are known but only few are offered for sale in the trade: P. cactus, P. decussata and P. maldivensis are the ones most frequently encountered. The latter however is not as easily found and grows a little differently, not as leafy looking as most of the others, but more stubby in its individual growths. The most frequently encountered one is P. cactus, which is probably the reason that the coral is generally referred to by the common name of Cactus coral.

As indicated lighting needs to be bright but not extremely sophisticated, in fact I keep mine under 2 CFT (Compact Fluorescent Tubes) that are rated at 100 Watt equivalent and have a 6500 Kelvin degree rating. Water flow needs to be moderate to stronger and the coral easily adapt to a number of different current flows, as long as the flow is not laminar but somewhat varying in the direction it is coming from. Aiming the output of a power head pump directly at it, even from a distance, is not recommended.

Besides the lighting suggested and water flow already mentioned, keep your calcium levels up at 420-450-ppm and the temperature around 78-80 F, pH 8.0-8.2, dKH 8-12.

pavonamaldivensis.png

Pavona maldivensis © sealife​

Besides the parameters listed above, make sure your magnesium ones are at the right level as well (1250 to 1350-ppm) as if they are too low, your calcium will be as well, or will be difficult to maintain at the desired level, and by adjusting the magnesium one your calcium levels will be far easier to maintain in the right range of 420 to 450-ppm, or somewhat higher if needed for other corals (up to 480-ppm).

pavonaanotherviewback.png

Another view of the large cluster with the image taken from the back of the tank

pavonacluster.png

Close-up of the Large Cluster in the Author’s Nano-Reef

pavonacorallinee.png

Another view from the back of the tank, you can see coralline algae growth on the glass and my Banggai Cardinal

pavonaclavus.png

Pavona clavus © fobweb

pavonadeccusata.png

Pavona decussata © meerwasserwiki

pavona2frags.png

Two frags that were in the Nano-Reef before additional ones were added, and my Citron Goby (Gobiodon citrinus)​

goby__citron.png

Citron Goby

© Albert J. Thiel 2013​

Last edited:

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice write up Mr. Thiel. I would like to add an additional piece of information regarding the cactus coral. It is a very aggressive coral. I have had one piece of bright green cactus for about 10yrs, and it has decimated anything it has ever come in contact with.

This becomes very important in the placement of the coral in an enclosed aquarium, especially a small tank. The cactus coral will encrust across the rockwork, and it will kill anything that gets in its way.

OP
OP
alberthiel

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice write up Mr. Thiel. I would like to add an additional piece of information regarding the cactus coral. It is a very aggressive coral. I have had one piece of bright green cactus for about 10yrs, and it has decimated anything it has ever come in contact with.

This becomes very important in the placement of the coral in an enclosed aquarium, especially a small tank. The cactus coral will encrust across the rockwork, and it will kill anything that gets in its way.

Yes it is aggressive indeed and as you say as it encrusts rock further and further and does so quite rapidly, it can indeed cause issues and you are rich, placement is therefore athiel.net important factor. This is in fact a redacted version of what is in my new book, Nano Reef Aquariums, and the section in the book on Pavona is longer and a little different as more pics are included. I believe that I added the aggressive nature of it in the book but I will check later today and if not I will certainly add it. Thanks for bringing it up.

OP
OP
alberthiel

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are very right indeed and not more than maybe nearly 2 weeks ago a Pavona frag fell right on top of a Duncan with multiple heads, and basically killed it as when I saw it in the morning and lifted the frag off the Duncan remained closed (all heads of it), and it never re-opened. I watched it for at least 4 days but to no avail. Finally I had to remove it as the skeleton was completely visible and the polyp tissue all gone.

As I was watching that same frag a few days ago it had 2 sweeper tentacles out in the middle of the day, and 1 was at least 3.5 inches long, and the other one probably about 2. I had seen it before but did not expect it to kill off a Duncan which is a hardy coral and can fend for itself so to speak but the Pavona obviously when it was knocked over during the night by what I guess was a snail, must have stung it so badly that the Duncan could not revive from it.

Just thought I would add this to the comments to supplement your own comments.

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that sucks i had the same issue. when i got my 150g he had a big size in there. when moving everything to my house it touched a sweet acro and bleached it. killed off more than half the colony. i think its a lil to agressive for me cause of how big it was. the sad part is i sold it for $40. heres a couple of pics.
60593079-100B-46F9-A0E1-2692F2E61F38-2455-000002448BFBA552.jpg

BB29E842-6A9A-48D6-9104-2F943D2362A8-2455-00000244A189CE46.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
alberthiel

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that sucks i had the same issue. when i got my 150g he had a big size in there. when moving everything to my house it touched a sweet acro and bleached it. killed off more than half the colony. i think its a lil to agressive for me cause of how big it was. the sad part is i sold it for $40. heres a couple of pics.
Aggressive they can be indeed and they do have sweeper tentacles which are not often seen but when they are it is always amazing how long they can actually be and sorry for the loss it caused. Gee wish I had been around here when you sold that large one for a mere $40 ... that was a steal for whoever got it ... Nice looking one too !

OP
OP
alberthiel

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up!

Great addition even for a Beginner Hobbyist as easy to take care of and it grows rapidly too ... and frags are easy to make and just glue on a little piece of rock and in a few hours they show their tentacles ...

Rgarcia80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good placement for this type of coral? High light/high flow, a mix, or low light/ low flow? I have one from WWC and it won’t grow at all. It’s currently in a lower section of the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was on a huge actual granite boulder the side of a softball. It had been in pot condition when I got it and I though it was an encrusting monti or lepto. Once I gave it some good light and flow it got fuzzy and hairy. Then started to branch and form the potato chips.
We knick named it shaggy.
Actually , before I even posted on the site here , I found this article to ID shaggy.

Sometime last year , I think it was , I had an STN event with a bunch of the sps in the tank.
Sadly I had no room at all in the big tank for the shaggy boulder.
So I fragged as much as I could and had to leave the boulder as it Stn'ed.

The boulder is now covered in sponges , bryozoans , a couple shrooms and some freaky stuff that most people worry about at the bottom of a pile in the little tank.

I also have a handful of good sized Shaggy frags that have tripled in size too.
IMG_0743.JPG

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I have what i think is a blue Malvedensis that has not grown one bit since i got it like 3 months ago. It's still only encrusted on the frag plug it came on. It is now in a "MED/HIGH" flow and light for a month or so and no changes. Can't figure out what to do about frag ;Shifty

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back