Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have not ordered my new Book yet Nano-Reef Aquariums .. you have a few more days to order at the pre-pub price before it is discontinued as the books are being shipped to stores and wholesalers this week, at which point I will no longer be selling at the low price and also not direct.

You will then need to order from an LFS or online (Premium Aquatics will be carrying them and have them in stock late next week)

So if you still want the low $30 price + shipping ... order today ... thanks for the support

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it seems that based on what you have found out they eat just about anything you feed them ... have you tried feeding them Blackworms yet :)
Wow, I never thought of that, You are a Genious

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still order my new Book "Nano-Reef Aquariums" at the LOW price .... just click on the image in my signature for ordering and payment instructions. These are the last few days you can do so as the book has already been mailed to 100's of Hobbyists, and more are going out today ... and once they hit the stores I can no longer offer the LOW price ... so if you wish the book, now is the time to order ... Thanks for your support.

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert. I have a 15g tank which I am trying to grow SPS. I have had very little success with their coloration and overall health. I do see polyp extension and they do appear to be coloring up slowly as well as growing new branches. HOwever, much to my regret I found out I was using too much GFO, the frags also came in stressed from shipping and a dip a few days later in Seachem Reef Dip did not help the situation. Since then I have had LFS acro frags brown out. I have removed my gfo and have only chaeto in the display, I have only 1 fish, a PJ Cardinalas he starved out 2 blue eyed cardinals that were his tank mates. Should I add more fish to dirty up my water? I have very little algae growth on the glass which for me seems very odd. Thanks

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert. I have a 15g tank which I am trying to grow SPS. I have had very little success with their coloration and overall health. I do see polyp extension and they do appear to be coloring up slowly as well as growing new branches. HOwever, much to my regret I found out I was using too much GFO, the frags also came in stressed from shipping and a dip a few days later in Seachem Reef Dip did not help the situation. Since then I have had LFS acro frags brown out. I have removed my gfo and have only chaeto in the display, I have only 1 fish, a PJ Cardinalas he starved out 2 blue eyed cardinals that were his tank mates. Should I add more fish to dirty up my water? I have very little algae growth on the glass which for me seems very odd. Thanks

I would not add more fish for now but to give you a better answer it would help to know what your NO3 and PO4 levels are right now ...

Removing the GFO will get PO4 to go up as when you add food to the tank as a by product of the fish evacuating food and coral and fish slime will raise the levels of both ... Also how old is this tank if I may ask ?

The corals may come back as long as there is no tissue loss ... bleaching happens but as you are now letting nutrients build up you should see them regain some color especially if you have some good lights over the tank ...

Let me have some more info will you ... TKS

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add more fish for now but to give you a better answer it would help to know what your NO3 and PO4 levels are right now ...

Removing the GFO will get PO4 to go up as when you add food to the tank as a by product of the fish evacuating food and coral and fish slime will raise the levels of both ... Also how old is this tank if I may ask ?

The corals may come back as long as there is no tissue loss ... bleaching happens but as you are now letting nutrients build up you should see them regain some color especially if you have some good lights over the tank ...

Let me have some more info will you ... TKS

The tank has been running since November of last year. I have no detectable PO4 or NO3 (salifert po4, salifert and api nitrate). I have a 4x24" T5HO fixture with ATI Bulbs. 3 Blue+ 1 Coral+. I have increased the actinic duration 2x blue on for 9 hours while I have been slowly increasing the Daylight (1 Blue+ 1 Coral+1) from 2 hours adding increments of 15 min every few days.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running since November of last year. I have no detectable PO4 or NO3 (salifert po4, salifert and api nitrate). I have a 4x24" T5HO fixture with ATI Bulbs. 3 Blue+ 1 Coral+. I have increased the actinic duration 2x blue on for 9 hours while I have been slowly increasing the Daylight (1 Blue+ 1 Coral+1) from 2 hours adding increments of 15 min every few days.

Well let's see how it all develops now that you have made those changes ... it may take a little while though before you see any ... do keep me posted. TKS

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert. I have noticed more sponge growth in my rock as well as better color from one of my SPS which has been flourishing notwithstanding my acro problems. I have also noticed a darkening of my aussie war coral which has had some bleaching.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert. I have noticed more sponge growth in my rock as well as better color from one of my SPS which has been flourishing notwithstanding my acro problems. I have also noticed a darkening of my aussie war coral which has had some bleaching.

Well that is good to read and a positive sign that things are starting to turn around already ... I like the fact that you see sponge growth as that is a good sign too. Thanks for the update .... I appreciate it ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have already ordered my new Book Nano-Reef Aquariums ... the first actual Newsletter will come out in about 10 or so days and will be emailed to you as long as I have your email address. If you ordered and I do not have it then I cannot send it to you. If you paid via Paypal ... I do have it however and no need to send it to me. If you paid in a different manner, email me at [email protected] with your full name included in the message so I can match the email up to your name. THANKS

Books still available at the LOW price for a few days : NanoReefAquariumsOrdering

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, thank you. I just purchased your book and can't wait to read it. I forgot to mention that I've seen increased pod activity since removing the GFO, notably they are walking on the rocks sand and on my zoas during the day. However, I see them most often on the inside of my mag float.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert, thank you. I just purchased your book and can't wait to read it. I forgot to mention that I've seen increased pod activity since removing the GFO, notably they are walking on the rocks sand and on my zoas during the day. However, I see them most often on the inside of my mag float.

Are these large pods or the very small ones if I may ask ? Note that they do not cause any damage unless they are parasitic ones but in that case they would not move around but would stay in one spot, anchored to whatever they are sitting on ... so I would not worry ... are the fish eating them ?

Also If your first name starts with a C check your email as your order did not include an address. I sent you a email about it if you are the C. ;-o

Now if you can get a pic of those pods (I know not easy) ... do post it here so I can get a better idea of what you really have in the tank ...

Increased nutrients in the water would tend to make pods grow a little more indeed and so yes you would indeed see an increase ...

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I noticed the email. Sent you the address. As far as the pods are concerned they are very small and I do not believe I could photograph them successfully. They are long cylindrical with two "hairs" on the rear end. I do not see my single PJ cardinal trying to eat them. Looking at the tank right now with the daylights I don't see any of them, perhaps I've only noticed them shortly after lights on and on my magfloat. I do not think they are harming anything.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I noticed the email. Sent you the address. As far as the pods are concerned they are very small and I do not believe I could photograph them successfully. They are long cylindrical with two "hairs" on the rear end. I do not see my single PJ cardinal trying to eat them. Looking at the tank right now with the daylights I don't see any of them, perhaps I've only noticed them shortly after lights on and on my magfloat. I do not think they are harming anything.

Thanks and yes I got your email with the address and you must have moved or so as the service you used pay says it is an unconfirmed address ... or something to that effect ... but all is OK ... Book is going out tomorrow with another batch thatI need to send out ...

On the pods ... sounds like garden variety ones and there are so many that it is not really possible from a pic anyway to ID them, one would have to put them under a microscope ... But they are harmless and if you have corals some may get trapped that way, and if you have a skimmer some may be removed that way or even in mechanical filters. And the PJ Cardinal may not have taken an interest in them because he is probably well fed ...

Not to worry though ... once you add other fish if they are still around they will get eaten ... They are good food too !

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have already ordered my new Book Nano-Reef Aquariums ... the first actual Newsletter will come out in about 10 or so days and will be emailed to you as long as I have your email address. If you ordered and I do not have it then I cannot send it to you. If you paid via Paypal ... I do have it however and no need to send it to me. If you paid in a different manner, email me at [email protected] with your full name included in the message so I can match the email up to your name. THANKS

Books still available at the LOW price for a few days : NanoReefAquariumsOrdering

Albert: I see you are still offering the LOW($30) price. That is awesome!! How much longer will the book be $30??

Thanks again. cant wait to get my copy and start reading!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert: I see you are still offering the LOW($30) price. That is awesome!! How much longer will the book be $30??
Thanks again. cant wait to get my copy and start reading!

Not for long as when stores start getting books then I will stop direct sales, but for now the price is still available ... In fact it is also the only way to get the e-version for free (cost when it comes out is $20) .... and of course the free Newsletter subscription. Free e-Versions will be available in about 2 to 3 weeks. All books from individuals have been sent out Saturday and yesterday Monday so they should arrive in the next day or two. Some on another forum have posted they received theirs already ... so yours should be getting to you today or tomorrow IMO ...

First Newsletter besides the ones pager that explains why it is being published, will be out in about 10 days or so.

Nano Reef Newsletter #1

http://www.athiel.net/nr_newsletter_1_1.pdf

dirtycontour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Thiel, I just got your new book in the mail today. Haven't started it yet, but I noticed the inside was signed. Very nice of you. Thank you sir!

Back