Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert! I did use a baster and some airline tubing siphoning...think I got a great deal of it.
Thanks again for the quick response and for putting my mind at ease :smile:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert! I did use a baster and some airline tubing siphoning...think I got a great deal of it.
Thanks again for the quick response and for putting my mind at ease :smile:

You are most welcome.
Sent from my IPhone
Albert

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked some more and they are probably snail eggs indeed ... exported pic and enlarged it and looked at it in Photoshop on a large screen and yes IMO these are indeed Snail Eggs ... Are they still there or has the cluster broken up by now ?

Well that is good to hear Albert, but I pulled it from the tank. It did not go easily either. Was stuck pretty good to the glass. No worries though as there are PLENTY more on the glass lol...might need to do some scraping before I have a snail aquarium instead of a reef! Also relocated a second hermit to the sump..

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is good to hear Albert, but I pulled it from the tank. It did not go easily either. Was stuck pretty good to the glass. No worries though as there are PLENTY more on the glass lol...might need to do some scraping before I have a snail aquarium instead of a reef! Also relocated a second hermit to the sump..
Found a nice ring of them today myself...ringed around the back of one of my water return nozzles :neutral:

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather calurpa has hitch hiked into my tank. The cheato in my sump isn't growing much. Should I remove the Feather calurpa completely or move it to the fuge? I'm concerned it will spread rapidly.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes once they start it can become like all you see is snail eggs everywhere ... I know what you mean it happened to me too ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather calurpa has hitch hiked into my tank. The cheato in my sump isn't growing much. Should I remove the Feather calurpa completely or move it to the fuge? I'm concerned it will spread rapidly.

Oh yes it will and grow on everything and removing it is not that easy you need to get all of the holdfasts loose and get all of it out of the DT ... and I would not even put it in the fuge or sump as spores can be released that end back up in the tank ... Removal will be quite a task but IME it is best to do so ir they will be all over and harder and harder to get out of the DT

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

My 3 gal pico has GSP which have been closed for a few weeks now. Part of their mat looks to be withering away, while another part looks healty as the "nubs" and mat look normal but the polyps are not open. I recently slid over our aquaclear 20 (with media rack fuge) and the waterfall it emits is directly above the GSP. This dims the light available to them and much to my surprise does not give them much flow as the waterfall pushes the water in the tank forward and not backwards at all.

Unfortunately I would move the AQ back to where it was but our ricordea have improved greatly as has almost every other coral in the tank. I am currently trying different configurations with our powerhead to try to get more flow in that corner while basting them every time i get a chance as some brown has accumulated on the withering mat.

Do you have any other suggestions? I've had this coral in one tank or another for several years and it is a vibrant neon green that I have not seen at our LFS since I purchased a very small frag of it it years ago for $4, being my first coral, and (consequently my best investment) I would like very much to keep it.

Thank you.

And to the above poster with the caulpera, please do not flush it down your toilet.

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

My 3 gal pico has GSP which have been closed for a few weeks now. Part of their mat looks to be withering away, while another part looks healty as the "nubs" and mat look normal but the polyps are not open. I recently slid over our aquaclear 20 (with media rack fuge) and the waterfall it emits is directly above the GSP. This dims the light available to them and much to my surprise does not give them much flow as the waterfall pushes the water in the tank forward and not backwards at all.

Unfortunately I would move the AQ back to where it was but our ricordea have improved greatly as has almost every other coral in the tank. I am currently trying different configurations with our powerhead to try to get more flow in that corner while basting them every time i get a chance as some brown has accumulated on the withering mat.

Do you have any other suggestions? I've had this coral in one tank or another for several years and it is a vibrant neon green that I have not seen at our LFS since I purchased a very small frag of it it years ago for $4, being my first coral, and (consequently my best investment) I would like very much to keep it.

Thank you.

And to the above poster with the caulpera, please do not flush it down your toilet.

That is kind of odd as they are very hardy and can take a lot of "abuse". What I would try is see if you can get them off the rock they are on and put them in another spot. You may need to get the rock out and in a small container with SW to get them off the rock, but it is possible ... I have done it before without any problem.

If you cannot get the rock out then pry with a wooden thin stick on the side of the purple base and try to lift it up and do so a lithe more and more till you can go in and lift it off that rock and place it somewhere else ... depending on how long they have been here they may be hard to get off but eventually they will come loose.

I would suggest you do that rather than change the currents in the tank as everything else is doing well based on what i read ... Hope that helps ... or let me know ..

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those who have an Emerald Crab in their tank : what algae have you seen them eat ?

This is intended to collect as much data as possible on what type of algae you have definitely seen them consume, not just nibble at, but actually feed on ... thanks for posting it here.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albert,

Thank you.

I hadn't planned on flushing it but I'm curious as to why you mentioned that.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't planned on flushing it but I'm curious as to why you mentioned that.

I think that someone else actually posted that comment ... I think it is Spacetime who did ... If you scroll up some messages I think you will see that it was not me who wrote that.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated the ordering page that comes up when you click on the image in my signature to add that the e-Version can now be obtained by itself for only $20.00

And shipping costs for the printed version are updated and now accurate. Thanks ...

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are working on a new Web presence ... NanoReefAquariumsOrdering but it is still a work in progress so when it is read for release I i will let you know ... in fact I logged into Reef2Reef from the Development web site ... as we have links there to sites that I participate in ..

Wasabijim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24g Nano Cube DX that I setup back in June of 2012. I was using the sponges in the middle chamber until recently when I took them out. I think they were becoming a nitrate factory. Now the middle chamber is just empty. I would like to know would it be better to turn the middle chamber into a refugium or put in a protein skimmer? I've hear the Tunze 9002 is a good skimmer and InTank makes a skinny collection cup that supposedly works with the lid closed in the nano cube. Any advise would be great. My nitrates are staying around 25 with weekly water changes and my phosphates are at .13. Not sure the best way to get these down.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24g Nano Cube DX that I setup back in June of 2012. I was using the sponges in the middle chamber until recently when I took them out. I think they were becoming a nitrate factory. Now the middle chamber is just empty. I would like to know would it be better to turn the middle chamber into a refugium or put in a protein skimmer? I've hear the Tunze 9002 is a good skimmer and InTank makes a skinny collection cup that supposedly works with the lid closed in the nano cube. Any advise would be great. My nitrates are staying around 25 with weekly water changes and my phosphates are at .13. Not sure the best way to get these down.

IMO and if you can on the Nano Cube I would use a HOB skimmer like the one by Red Sea (Prism Pro) which is venturi, with a pinwheel, and has an insert that goes in the side of the skimmer where you can put e.g. Carbon or GFO , so you get real good flow through it, or you can put both in that insert but for the GFO you will need a small bag as otherwise it will come out of it as granules of GFO are so small. Alternatively you could use Aluminum oxide and that is large enough so you do not need a baggie ... and then with the middle chamber : Put filter floss in there to act as a good mechanical filter and change it about every 3 days or so as it will really pick up a lot of detritus ... Now if you cannot use a HOB skimmer, then yes that Tunze would be a way to go but I think there is a way to use an HOB one on that tank .. Instant Ocean makes an HOB as well but there are still others.

Let me know whether that helps and if not we'll try to come up with another solution for you ... Can you post a pic of the top of the tank maybe so I can see what we may possibly do ? Thanks.

Wasabijim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top completely covers the tank so I wouldn't be able to use the hang on back skimmer. From what I can find around the net it seems that a protein skimmer would be better than a refugium since it will remove the gunk before it can break down. I have 5 fish in the tank. Two Clowns, a Watchman Gobie, a Purple Pseudoshromis and a Midas Blenny. I haven't taken a pic of my tank but here is a pic from the internet to show what it looks like.

th

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top completely covers the tank so I wouldn't be able to use the hang on back skimmer. From what I can find around the net it seems that a protein skimmer would be better than a refugium since it will remove the gunk before it can break down. I have 5 fish in the tank. Two Clowns, a Watchman Gobie, a Purple Pseudoshromis and a Midas Blenny. I haven't taken a pic of my tank but here is a pic from the internet to show what it looks like.

Yes I guess in that case your initial idea of putting the skimmer in the back compartment would be the option to go with indeed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back