My saltwater journal.

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Made my introductory post and I'm just going to start my little journal here.

My very first saltwater tank was a 40g breeder (I thought it was a 50g, boy was I wrong). I had it up in December of 2012 and it was somewhat of a disaster. I had done alot of research beforehand and thought I was ready to take the leap. Usually you would want to start off with a larger tank which is easier to maintain, that's not how it works for me I should have started smaller, to master everything with trials and tribulations (which for me has worked out alot better). Needless to say my 40g didn't work out to well and I turned to my 29g as my new project.

So, during the end of december I started to port everything from my 40g to my 29g. A few of my fish were quarantined and some fish were given away to family members. I then went on my old local reef club and found someone selling LR and sand and purchased from them. Thus my 29g tank was born. The initial stock were two Percula Clowns, one Royal Gramma Basslet and one Red Head Goby. I never wanted to have coral, but I had been given two Kenya Tree's. Also a Pincushion Urchin came with me. The last addition to the tank by the beginning of February was a Pajama Cardinal.

The remnants of my 40g was turned into a second 29g that was given to a family member as a present. That housed two Ocellaris Clownfish and two Firefish.

I also had a 10g tank that housed my wifes Orchid Dottyback alone, I had no place for him and she HAD to have him.

Everything had been going great until about April when I went on vacation for a bit longer than I had hoped. A 3 day stay in Tampa where I was looking for jobs turned into a week (Tampa is pretty much my hometown, I just couldnt leave!). That extended vacation permitted the death of my Royal Gramma, which was really a sad day for me because other than my Goby, it was my favorite fish.

My wife's Orchid Dottyback took over the role for my Royal Gramma and we also added a Springeri Damsel to the tank around that time. My 10g sat for about two months running with nothing in it til about June when I purchased a pistol Shrimp and Goby.

The end of June marked my time to move to Tampa. During the drive from the Spacecoast of Florida to Tampa, I lost one of my Clowns, my Pajama Cardinal and my Springeri Damsel ( I had been transporting the Shrimp and Goby in a smaller 1 1/2 gallon tank inside my 10g. The trio made there way into the smallest crevice of the tank and were crushed.)

My local reef club here in Tampa have been very amazing. Here I purchased my first coral and gave new life to my tank.

My 29g is a bit overstocked though. I am hoping to upgrade the tank in a few weeks. The current stock is

Two clownfish
Three Zebra Dartfish
One Orchid Dottyback
One Red Head Goby
One Tangaroa Goby

KIMG0010.jpg

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KIMG0011.jpg

KIMG0012.jpg
KIMG0013.jpg

This one here looks ready to be propagated. I'm going to have to look up some videos about it.
KIMG0014.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great! Keep us updated!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes!!! My bad. Great job!!! Looks fantastic. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dubbed my Red Head Goby the "Snail Assaulter". I switched from hermit crabs to an assortment of snails about a month ago. I have two types of Nassarius Snails. The tiny ones and the large "Tonga" snails. Any time one rears it's foot. He's there, attacking them. He cant kill one but he can sure assault. What a fish!

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched my circulation pump with a Marineland 600GPH Powerhead. My coral's were taken aback for the night, but looks like they are getting used to the new flow. Not many not worthy changes to the tank; though I may be moving a few pieces of rock to my 20g. Going to get in touch with a local reefer who is selling LR and seeing how much I can get.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird question... Can sea urchins see? I ask because for months whenever I add anything to the tank she inspects it. Climbs over it aad man handle it. She decided to move my powerhead. Woe is me lol

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk 2

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird question... Can sea urchins see? I ask because for months whenever I add anything to the tank she inspects it. Climbs over it aad man handle it. She decided to move my powerhead. Woe is me lol

If I recall correctly, yes.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. It would explain why she seems to "tackle" everything we put in the tank. she tends to lumber towards my arms when i'm in the tank too!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. It would explain why she seems to "tackle" everything we put in the tank. she tends to lumber towards my arms when i'm in the tank too!

Thinking back...I seem to recall that they are very nearsighted...so it doesn't surprise me that she crawls all over everything in the process of checking it out!

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that, reefing. It was an "eye" opener.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my toadstool frags are missing. Meaning, my sea urchin them and dropped them to the sand bed at night and my pistol shrimp pulled them into the abyss...

Suck's cuz one of the frags was looking really really good.

The host toadstool is growing more frags as we speak so next batch should be alot better... hopefully.

Other than that, the tank is looking pretty good. Though I might switch my pulsating xenia with my kenya tree; the xenia doesnt seem to like this new flow from the powerhead.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I've not seen before. So guessing, he's either discharging (poop) or its a male.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a male. I've seen the poop, it comes from a singular hole at the top and are pellets. This was sperm coming from the entire body. Guess it needs a new name, "Harriet" isnt cutting it!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back