Help.. Just help <<sigh>>

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been months since I've been on here. My BF if 7 years and I broke up and I asked him to watch my nano until I got on my feet. He agreed. Well, here is nano when I started moving out:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387507933.292967.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387507950.775023.jpg

Here is what I walked in to when I went to pick it up:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387508017.808502.jpg

Everything was dead. Corals, mushrooms, snails, star fish, hermits. Apparently he felt the need to unplug it and put in the garage.
I got it to my new place in San Bernardino, cleaned as best I could and set it back up. Here it is after two hours of cleaning:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387508185.175225.jpg
so it's been cycling for a week. pH is low 7.5, ammonia has been around 1-2 but just dropped yesterday to about .5. This morning it has been taken over by algae :
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387508294.292068.jpg
I'm heart broken and frustrated and am not sure what to do. Do I break it down? Do I ride it out? Funds are scarce as I am now unemployed and supporting my two girls. My nano was one of the few things that brought me some joy. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks
Stephanie B

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your basically starting all over. First thing, turn your lights off! You don't need em yet as it will only make the algae worse. Your going to continue having die off from your rock. Again causing an algae out break. Just do weekly WC's, blowing the rock off very well with a turkey baster before each change.
As your tank once again cycles and the bacteria develops the algae will die off. Just keep up the WC's! This way you'll starve the algae out.
Don't give up!! Don't let him take away your joy!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the light on hoping the few paly's on a rock would come back. I'll turn them off. I've done about 1 1/2 ga wc every day since setting it up here. It's an 8 ga. He also has taken my work away (we worked in the same field) I just don't get it. Everything in that tank was a living creature! I will keep cycling and hopefully by the time it's ready I will have found a new job and can slowly start over. Thanks for input!

Last edited by a moderator:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Nana's advice and last STATEMENT! If you enjoy it stick with it and it will come back. Am I seeing remains or living Zoanthids in there ? If so you might keep the lights on for a few hours a day, they are some of hardiest/scrappiest animals out of the sea. I've taken some coral substrate out of bucket left outside for weeks and found lil nubs of zoa/palys that I was able to save. If you were closer I'd be happy to gift you enough Coral to fill that baby back up.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, yes. My Eagle Eyes still have about 8 nubs and some other misc ones are still on the rocks. I'll keep with it but about all I can do is wc and wait. I'm just so sad about this.

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others, the tank is still in the cycling process and should clear up after a few more weeks. Just keep doing the water changes and siphon out as much algae as you can.

I'm sure we can help you get it populated with living coral again.

jcollinsks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so terrible, once it is back up I would love to send you a frag of something to help you out or a gift card to an LFS to get you a fish, I can't believe he is that cruel that he killed your living breathing animals! Sorry for your loss, I really hope you stick with it and know that it will get better? What business are you in, I saw you said he made it hard for you to work, maybe we could help with that too.

dman612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently recovered a tank, got the levels steady for a week, popped in a damsel, hermits, snails, 2 zoa colonies, hammer and two chalice frags- long story short, everything but the chalices are alive and thriving (had two algae blooms) so i have faith youll have a quick recovery. Maybe add refugium? ro water helps in the starvation if available, my lfs sells it 1,50 gallon or like 2.25 for their cycled reef water, but investing in a 50$ 3stage is a better choice. good luck!

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the support everyone. It's been a horrible last couple of months and our world has been turned upside down but I have to say that coming back on here has made me feel better. Just reading everyone's stories, looking at the amazing tanks, makes me feel better. I've tried to describe to people how much my little nano meant to me, the peace and relaxation. The excitement of adding a new coral... sitting back and seeing it thrive. I'm looking forward to getting that back. Thank you again my fellow reefers!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heart breaking to see a awesome Nano going to waist.
All kudos to you for setting it up again.
You know Stephanie.........sometimes wishes come true...........

Check your PM.

Merry Christmas to you and your girls.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes yes.. wishes do come true.. noone should feel this way during the holidays.. Ben told me about this and we agree that you should come down to my store and we will help you put some nice corals in there . of course you dont have to bring a penny.. its on us. Me and ben will be paid in the joy in our hearts seeing you smile and posting up pictures of your newly sexy out tank.. =)

Heart breaking to see a awesome Nano going to waist.
All kudos to you for setting it up again.
You know Stephanie.........sometimes wishes come true...........

Check your PM.

Merry Christmas to you and your girls.

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike and Ben,
I am so overwhelmed... I keep crying, so when we meet and if I start the water works again please just understand that's it's been a difficult time. I was feeling so down this Christmas and this has made me see that there still are amazing people out there. I can't thank you enough! My water is holding steady
Temp 80
Sal/ Grav 32.5/ 1.024
pH 8.0
Ammon 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-1
My only issue is the Algae but lights are off and I siphoned a bit today. There is hope! :)

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up and running for 2 weeks
lets let it cycle till after the new years.. Enjoy the new years. dont let the past make you sad.. Heres something i live by.. have a Great holiday and new years!!

If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present. — Lao Tzu

OP
OP
warhorseart

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<<If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present. — Lao Tzu>>
Very true words.
I agree on letting it cycle at least another 2 weeks.
Thank you again!
Stephanie

nismo_sky32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to here about the troubles you are going through but it is great that other hobbyists are willing to help others at times like these. Makes me happy to be part of this community. Good luck with the new start on the tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • None.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back