Dawn's 36g Bowfront tank

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my little piece of serenity. I set this tank up in December 2012 in place of a 90g softie tank. I needed smaller WCs and less maintenance. With a new Aquatic Life T5 fixture I decided to move more toward LPS since I've always loved the movement. I use 2 actinic bulbs for 9hrs and 1 super daylight and 10000k bulbs for 6hrs. I also use the moonlight setting for 3hrs before the main bulbs come on.

Most of my other equipment I kept; prizm pro skimmer, HOB overflow box, 3/4hp chiller, koralia powerhead, submersible heater, 9.5 Mag return pump, and turbo twist UV. I keep my tank between 76 and 80 degrees.

My livestock currently include 2 lyretail anthias, a purple firefish, a tailspot blenny, and a tomato clownfish that I raised from a mated pair I had in the 90g tank.
Inverts include a cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, a serpent starfish, bee snails and some small hermit crabs.
Corals are green tipped frogspawn, cabbage leather, green mushrooms, fuzzy mushroom, various acans, candycane and trumpet coral, a favia, an open brain, a torch, a pink tipped hammer and a blue crocea clam.

My maintenance is a 10-15% WC, using a turkey baster on the rock work, clean skimmer cup, syphoning any bubble algae out weekly and testing parameters and dosing as needed. I add carbon probably monthly. The tank is very stable probably due to the large WCs. I change all bulbs, clean pumps yearly.

I am very happy with both the looks and health of the tank but if I could improve on one aspect it would be to punch up the colors of my corals. I recently added a deep blue LED strip to help with that and it did help.

I thank you very much for visiting my post. God Bless,Dawn

Attachments

• 100_7443.jpg
    100_7443.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 897
  • 100_7446.jpg
    100_7446.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 880
  • 100_7444.jpg
    100_7444.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 869
  • 100_7766.jpg
    100_7766.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 876
  • 100_7780.jpg
    100_7780.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 877
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I use IO salt and tap water for WCs. Our municipal water is better than most although it is high in phosphates. Because I keep corals and a clam that utilize phosphates I am gettlng away with this practice although I doubt SPS would do very well in my tank. I have toyed with trying a green birdsnest since it is a sturdier SPS and I have a good place for it up high in the tank.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey vlangel!! Yep I'm a pens fan!! :) I'm all the way in California though. I get to see them play San Jose in march!!! Who's your favorite player?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey vlangel!! Yep I'm a pens fan!! :) I'm all the way in California though. I get to see them play San Jose in march!!! Who's your favorite player?
Its hard to pick just 'one' favorite but I really like Kris Letang. He seems to have great instincts and is often in the right place at the right timeI can't believe he had a stroke! I have a Crosby jersey and even though he's so good I appreciate that he is such a team player. Whose your favorite player?
We got to see them play San Jose here in Pittsburgh. Both teams were on winning streaks but the Pens came out on top. Your game should be a good one.

jCoffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. I fell back into reefing about 5 months ago and have a 30 gal myself. I think it takes a certain type of aquarist to do great things with the challenges smaller tanks pose. I look forward to seeing your future posts!

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's hard to choose one, but I like Chris Kunitz. I have his jersey! And hopefully it will be an awesome game!! Get to go with my friend who's a shark fan! Also olli Matta is pretty good. And poor letang

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. I fell back into reefing about 5 months ago and have a 30 gal myself. I think it takes a certain type of aquarist to do great things with the challenges smaller tanks pose. I look forward to seeing your future posts!

Do you have a thread that I could look at? I especially like seeing other tank that are a similar size as mine and see what other folks have done. Of course I realize that your tank is still
fairly new at 5 months and it takes time for stuff to grow. A lot of my stuff was from my 90g so this tank looked kind of mature from the get go. With the increased flow and lights most of my leathers dwindled but the LPS loved it and thrived!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's hard to choose one, but I like Chris Kunitz. I have his jersey! And hopefully it will be an awesome game!! Get to go with my friend who's a shark fan! Also olli Matta is pretty good. And poor letang

I really like Kunitz too. He's so good at shielding the goalie from seeing the incoming pucks! Whoa, so you are going into Shark territory with a Pgh jersey?

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this rock setup. I'm starting up my Aquapod 24 again and will be "stealing" this for a similar look! Its going to be a while, as I have to cycle the dried live rock, but very nice.

jCoffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup if you go to members aquarium discussions>nanos and look for Josh's 30gal reef that's the one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back