1st SW Tank; Having Algae Issue!

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

This is my first saltwater tank so everything is completely new to me. I have a 10 gallon that has been running for almost three weeks now. Just last week I got a diatom bloom and I think hair algae on the glass. Today I scrubbed it all off the walls. I have diatoms on the sand bed and LR. I'm using Red Sea Coral Salt and the salinity is at 1.023. I just wanted to know what I could do to reduce this and prevent it in the future.

Equipment:
10 Gallon
AquaClear 30 w/ stock media
Koralia Nano
Finnex Marine+ 20"

Livestock:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (I got one last week and one yesterday)
1 Red Legged Hermit
2 Blue Legged Hermit
4 Nassarius Snails
3 Nerite Snails
5 Frags (Mostly Zoas)
2 Green Mushrooms

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 215

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That many living things in a 3 week old 10g is probably the cause of the algae. It doesn't bother me, but having only 1 clown in that tank is technically too small. So two is even worse haha. But... The best thing you can do is frequent water changes, And if you're using a hang on filter make sure that it's rinsed and changed often, also while cycling a tank, (which I'm assuming you are based on the fact you said it's 3 weeks old.) you should keep the lights off to prevent the growth of nuisance algae.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That many living things in a 3 week old 10g is probably the cause of the algae. It doesn't bother me, but having only 1 clown in that tank is technically too small. So two is even worse haha. But... The best thing you can do is frequent water changes, And if you're using a hang on filter make sure that it's rinsed and changed often, also while cycling a tank, (which I'm assuming you are based on the fact you said it's 3 weeks old.) you should keep the lights off to prevent the growth of nuisance algae.

I understand. I'm just trying to make it work. Everyone so far seems very happy and active. I got 10 lbs of live rock from a friends' tank that has been running for almost 2 years so I was hoping that would speed up the cycle. I've been doing weekly water changes so far, is that frequent enough? As for the filter, is there any other media that I could use that would be more beneficial? Thank you so much for your response.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandrew; you should keep the lights off to prevent the growth of nuisance algae.[/QUOTE said:
Currently I'm running the white's and blue's at the same time for 8 hours a day. Should i just switch to only blue's so at least my frags get some light?

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say weekly changes are fine, as for the lights I'm no expert but I've heard of people running blues only two hours before whites on, then two hours after whites off. And I'm no "fish police" just saying haha!

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say weekly changes are fine, as for the lights I'm no expert but I've heard of people running blues only two hours before whites on, then two hours after whites off. And I'm no "fish police" just saying haha!

Thank you, I really appreciate it i!

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with mandrew - I'd run some phosguard and carbon in your filter.....

I'm using the filter media that comes with the AquaClear 30, which is sponge, biomax, and carbon bag in that precise order. I was just reading about the Seachem PhosGuard and I will definitely get that tomorrow. Will the carbon I have be good to use? When I get the PhosGuard, I put it in a mesh bag, correct? Now what do I remove from my filter? Will I only need the PhosGuard and Carbon bag? Or could I use the biomax as well? Thank you for your help! Sorry for all the questions!

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd only use the phosguard and carbon. A regular filter catches things then they break down into nitrates if they aren't cleaned real often.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd only use the phosguard and carbon. A regular filter catches things then they break down into nitrates if they aren't cleaned real often.

So it would go Phosguard and then Carbon? Or it doesn't really matter? How often should I change the PhosGuard and Carbon?

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure you are using RO (reverse osmosis) water in your tank; I've known many new folks who have used dechlorinated tap water with similar results.

melvinakshay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatoms will dissappear by themselves. Just use RO water and food with low phosphates. A phosban would help. I would also get a turbo snail.

Algae is a package deal. . Hard to get rid of it completely

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like algea to me?? It's blurry but if I had to guess that's a diatom and your issue is probably bacteria which is feeding the diatom, and all this is from not cycling your tank properly. Wait a while to add anything and let the tank complete its cycle.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom blooms are part of a cycling tank it is normal to have this. As your beneficial bacteria increase the blooms will decrease and stop if your not overfeeding, or overstocked. Sounds like you rushed things. Slow down and let your tank mature before adding anything else.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back