Green's Machine

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in February of this year I started a reef tank for the first time. I have asked a few questions here and there on the forum, but never really started a thread of my own. I figure now that my tank is up and running and has some livestock in it things wont be so boring. I have learned quite a bit over the past nine months, and thankfully never lost anything other then a feather duster (murdered by the infamous indian sea star).

First let me give a before and up to date picture to keep everyone's attention.

A little about the tank. It's a JBJ 28 advanced LED, stock pumps, reef octopus BH1000, intank media basket (filter floss and seagel). I do weekly 5gal water changes (but went a period of over a month without one...still looked as clean as it does now). I don't dose anything but I also don't test for alk mg or Ca, that is about to change though. My only real bouts with algae happened at the beginning during my cycle, since then I've never had to deal with it.

My current stock list:

Carmel clown
Percula clown
Decorator shrimp
Indian sea star
2x flame scallops
Condy nem
feather duster

pulsing xenia
GSP
blue anthelia
blue red and green mushrooms
neon button polyps
candy cane
frog spawn
purple/green acan
light blue/orange acan

zoos

watermelons
radioactive dragon eye
GBP
pink hippos
RPE
miami vice
vivid rainbows

stock list due to arrive next week:

zoos

king midas
bambam
everlasting gobstopper
armor of god
pink aroura
pz fallen angel
mohawks
guacamole splash
cherry charms
rastas
my clementine
magicians
lunar

3 other types of acan

rainbow BTA
neon hairy mushroom
3x ricordea
2x rainbow ricordea

Next week the machine will receive a toy as well, ecotech radion 15w pro. That is right I'm going topless with the JBJ (I know I'm not the first:wink:). Personally I think the LEDs on the jbj are WAY to powerful, and need to have a dimmer. I went with the radion for a few reasons, I liked the functionality, the look and the wireless incorporation with the mp10 (which I will be ordering next week from BRS). It's funny though, I remember saying to myself when first starting the tank "boy some of this stuff is expensive...who would pay $500 for a light?!?!?".........:peep: ya so now I'm the one dropping all the cash on the equipment. Really makes me wonder how many reefers have thought "I have all this money invested already...why not?"

BTW I don't name the fish BUT....this girl I call $#*! *:#%^ &*!!!!!!!! She is the mos aggressive fish I ever owned. I was never once bit by the 5 piranhas I owned for over two years, but you can bet your *** if my hand is in the machine I'm getting bit 30+ times. But when its time for food, shes will eat from my finger tips, bi-polar ***** clown.....

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! As far as the clown goes I used to have a black perc that would constantly nip at me when I would attempt to stick my hand in the tank for anything. I would accidentally knock frags over till I glued them down. Good luck with the fish!

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! As far as the clown goes I used to have a black perc that would constantly nip at me when I would attempt to stick my hand in the tank for anything. I would accidentally knock frags over till I glued them down. Good luck with the fish!

Thanks! When I first got her she started attacking, I figured after a few months she would calm down....nope. I've grown used to it.

Well good day and a bad one as well. Got all my new livestock, nothing harmed all acclimated well. Got my radion xr 15w pro today also, BROKEN. I was not to happy, called ecotech and they are sending a new unit out today which should arrive by Thursday. I think its only the power supply that's not working, the light on the power box doesnt light up when plugged in. But when I plugged in USB the unit itself lit up. Really wish I could be playing with that light right now, but O'well.

a few pictures

I'm horrible at picture taking with a crap camera to boot, sorry. Some things still haven't opened up all the way but that's to be expected. The rainbow BTA morph looks absolutely amazing, but of course he had to go hide where he's barely visible. Now its time to break plugs and do some gluing!

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few more pictures and a question for anyone who knows.

Does anyone know what this little guy is? he's been in that frag of candy cane since I got it (4+ months). Turns 360° to feed. Doesn't seem to harm anything, pretty neat to watch as well.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few more pictures and a question for anyone who knows.

Does anyone know what this little guy is? he's been in that frag of candy cane since I got it (4+ months). Turns 360° to feed. Doesn't seem to harm anything, pretty neat to watch as well.

I believe it's a barnacle feeding hand, othewise known as cirri.

Last edited:

Bovine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on barnacle i have one in the middle of a frogspawn i have, looks exactly the same as yours.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words

Correction to my previous post. It's not a hand, per se. But those are it's legs, using them to filter feed. Harmless and cool to watch.

Yeah he's awesome to watch, working all day for food. I never thought to ask what it was....figured it was a filter feeder and most seem harmless.

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved a few things around and glued a few frags. The RBTA finally came out enough for me to get a good picture.

Ecotech messed up and never shipped out the new power supply for the light. Finally got them on the phone today, they overnight it via fed ex, so I'll be able to play with the radion tomorrow....finally. Have also been trying to sell/trade that big radioactive zoo colony there in front right (not open all the way cause coral banded shrimp had just walked over when I snapped the picture), no luck. Resorted to trying to trade it on facebook...I think people are scared i want a lot of $$, but really I just want to make room.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank if you get the power supply tomorrow post more pics

OP
OP
G

GreenGenes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't have a way to hang it yet, having a custom swing arm made and a glass top for the tank. Both probably won't be done until next week.

I forgot to mention in my last post that this was the second item BRS has shipped me only to arrive broken. First was my skimmer. I emailed them and they upgraded my account to preferred reefer. Its does save a little money...but comes out the same if you where to purchase on amazon. I put in an order for salt (red sea coral pro) a red sea reef pro test kit, and fauna marine lps pellets. I figured I'd give the pellets a try since I have so many acan now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back