Drilling a tank.

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could drill a 20 high tank that has been sitting in my garage for years. I don't know who the manufacturer is or anything. Is there a way to tell if it would be safe to drill into it?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;-xiD7C0hLX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiD7C0hLX4[/video]

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need a diamond bit. I recently drilled my tank and found this video helpful.
[video=youtube;C5hy6SjajQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5hy6SjajQY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into bulkheads. What size would you guys recommend to get 10X flow through my sump for the 20 gallon? I have decided that it's going to be a softie reef tank. I don't think the bottom of my 20 is tempered. It's hard to tell where the sun wasn't out and I need to clean the bottom out because it's been sitting in my garage for the last few months.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Gl*******s for all your overflow and glass drilling needs. I just drilled a tank last night . I have drilled hundreds of tanks in the last 30 years and I like the glass holes kits because the come with everything you need bits bulkhead fittings and patterns for drilling. I use blue painters tape on the inside to let me know when I am close to finished. You will see bits of blue tape floating around. The last little bit is the hardiest part as the bit wants to grab.

Photo Apr 19%2C 7 23 17 PM.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back