Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 Build

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I bought a used Nuvo 8.
I'm in college so I can't be hauling around a large system with me from apartment to apartment, so I plan on going all-out on this nano tank!

I upgraded the return pump to a Cobalt MJ400.
The back compartments consist of live rock rubble, cheato, chemipure, purigen, phosgaurd, and a hermit.

Lighting: Ecoxotic Panorama RGB
ATO: Tunze Osmolator

Plans:
-Vortech MP10 (coming on friday!)
-Spin Stream on return outlet
-10gal sump/refugium (I know, I know...having a sump bigger than the DT lol)
-Two Little Fish's 150 GFO reactor
-Bubble Magus Cruve 5 protein skimmer

This will be a cool invert tank (including pom pom crab, porcelain crab, squat lobster, harlequin shrimp, bumblebee shrimp, ect.), with a black ray shrimp goby and green clown goby. I haven't added anything yet except for the snails.

This week I just started dosing Phyto, and WOW the pod population has exploded! Its actually kind of annoying how many are covering the glass - and this is during the day with the lights on! Its crazy!

Anyways, here the progression so far:

image.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-6.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no exaggeration you have the makings of a totm nice touch can't wait to watch it mature

Love the algae free scape I'm such a stickler for that
~welcome to the forum with your blue centered ricordia :)
B

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In no exaggeration you have the makings of a totm nice touch can't wait to watch it mature

Love the algae free scape I'm such a stickler for that
~welcome to the forum with your blue centered ricordia :)
B

Thank you so much!!

I over populated with snails to keep the algae down, and with no fish, its easy to keep the waste at a minimum! Even going through its cycle I didn't have any sort of bloom. Hope to keep it this clean as it matures!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I went out on a limb and rescued a scooter blenny from petco today.....(oh gosh.)
No signs of ick, eyes are clear, fins aren't ripped, I watched him eat at the store, and he was very active.
Upon getting him home, I can tell he's skinny. Hope to fatten him up with my explosion of pods, and daily feedings of Rod's Food.

Secondly, I think I'm going to turn my freshwater 5.5 into a frag tank (I know, another nano tank to keep up with!!)
I have two options on lighting that I wanted some feedback about:

1. hooking up a second panorama pro module to my current one (I already have the splitter and everything), but this would mean that the tanks are in a way, tied together. When I move the 8 to its permanent place on a stand, the frag tank will have to migrate somewhere close with it, think would be around $40-50 just for the module, plus docking arms ($10).

2. I was looking online and found the "Wave-Point 12inch, 16watt blue/daylight LED" clamp light. Has very good reviews, and is only $58. I do like the look of this one better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

here's the nem! he settled right in the middle haha. looks like he's reaching for light, so hopefully he'll move up a bit, unless he's still just not settled in.

the guy with the mp10 accidentally stepped on it and broke it -.-
he refunded me my money so the search for one will continue! or I'll buy a new one in a couple months. :)

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to overflow into the sump? Im just curious. Great looking tank btw!

more than willing to answer questions!

the back compartments of the Nuvo's are not made to be full. There supposed to be like a sump, with baffles and waterfalls. I run mine full anyways, because it is currently used as a make-shift refugium right now.

I have an Eshopps Nano Overflow box that just barely fits in the back! Then the sump return pump will go to the top of where the in-tank return pump is at. I'm sure I'll have to get creative with a few things, and maybe even modify the tank and my plans.

If all else fails I work at my LFS and I'll have a coworker come over and drill it for me!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem is on the move -.- hopefully he finds his permanent spot soon!!

Frag tank will be filled with sand, rock, and water tomorrow night!

Does anyone have experience mixing sexy shrimp with other shrimp? Just wondering because of their size, but I'd love to have a harlequin (which I'm sure would be ok) and a blood shrimp (which is what I'm worried about).

IMG_4986.jpg

Pic from my old tank that crashed after I moved up to MSU. ):

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tank is set up and cycling! ordering some purigen and matrix carbon to throw in the HOB filter. My friend has my frag rack and some extra egg crate that i need to go pick up soon. I'll probably end up breaking up the rock on the left to set the egg crate over.

IMG_8433.jpg

I think I've decided on my lighting situation...I think I'm going to put the Panorama RGB on the frag tank, and upgrade to a Nano Box Mini Flare with the controller. It'll be nice to have decent lights on both tanks, with the controllability of the Nano Box on the main tank. Does anyone have experience with the Nano Boxes?

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally snapped a pic of the scooter blenny!
he is doing well, continuing his frozen diet, as pictured.
still needs to gain some more weight, but I have found his forever home once I am positive that he is healthy!

image.jpg

frag tank is cycled and doing well. added some snails and some zoanthid frags that are doing well under the stock Aqueon 50/50 lighting, for now.

hope everyone's holidays went well!!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Update: I'll be getting some higher end zoanthids and a rainbow acan this friday! I'm so excited!
Blenny and nem are doing well, frag tank is coming along nicely. Can't wait to update the light! Everything looks like poop under a freshwater light.

I'm having some problems with my beloved zoanthids ): thread here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/zo...-zoanthids-falling-off-plugs.html#post2141451

please help if you can! everything else is wonderful :)

Back