Team can we get your input - ideal nanos forum contest

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say we were going to have a little contest and we wanted good energy, something where people can contribute even if they just posted a new tank is my guess

how would you go about it

two brainstorms I had

-everyone starts with the same frag X variety and sees who puts on the most mass/polyps within X timeframe and that may take a while just guessing

-a custom micro tank contest where the keeper might be starting another tiny tank but isnt using common approaches, mostly fabbed stuff laying around. sub systems challenge, so thats low cost etc
-someone may want a best aquascape or color pop, or a reader voting system really just anything

the prize needs to be finalized we are in quick pm discussion with a vendor for a little kicker to boot.

What kind of contest would pool the most effort for us
B

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent

Allows current tank keepers to participate
mental check mark to that idea

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't do a grow-out competition, maybe have equipment, expenditure, sump size/total volume size caps as well.
I know some people will be able to drop a few hundred on a light, run a 20+ gallon sump on a three gallon tank (or tie it in with their full scale tank) with full automation and dosing while others will be doing their best just to get something running (a local club had to put restrictions on their competition as some people had $700+ into a three or four gallon tank while other were just scraping by to try to put something together and participate).

Could maybe see if one of the vendors can put a low cost package together (around $50-75) with a small tank (2-3 gallons) including a filter and a decent light, probably LED (heater too if possible). Maybe put a limit to the size of the sump. Something like the standard small tanks, 2.5 or 5 gallon. All of the given equipment needs to be used (heater may be the exception). You can use different stuff, but it needs to be similar dimensions/size/cost. Have an equipment cost cap as well.
Although going with the predetermined kit would probably be easiest to manage. I think limiting everybody to the same exact setup in this case would probably be the best way to go as it gives an even playing field.

Just tossing some other ideas out there.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank you we really want to get something going

i was having trouble coming up with something for best chances of # of contributors we need the collective input gracias!!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back