OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed the Lobos and they did open their mouths which means they're still alive. Hopefully they'll rebound. I'll try to get a pic but with blue lights only it will be tough.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck with the picture. I think I'm going to leave the Hydor power head off for now and just let the water circulate with the overflow and return nozzle.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lobo is definitely on it's way out. It's receding daily and rapidly. The acan and favia are doing better. I've never had a coral die so quickly. I'll retest the water to check things out. Last time the numbers were perfect.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using ? Are you using NSW or are you mixing your own .
Are you checking your SG daily ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using ? Are you using NSW or are you mixing your own .
Are you checking your SG daily ?

Alk and phosphates are Hanna
Nitrates, Ca and Mg are Salifert
pH is Red Sea
I have a refractometer for salinity.
I use IO Reef Crystals and RO water

I don't test my SG daily because I top off daily but that's a good idea. I'll try to test everything today.

Thanks for your help. I honestly have no idea what the problem is. Before the crash things just stayed stable as long as I did everything I needed to do. I took it for granted. This is incredibly frustrating.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ,the smaller the tank the bigger the problems . I have bought frags that looked good and in a few days died . it happens to all of us . I fragged the jedi which is an easy coral to grow ,but 2 of the three frags did not make it :(.Mother colony is doing fine .

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ,the smaller the tank the bigger the problems . I have bought frags that looked good and in a few days died . it happens to all of us . I fragged the jedi which is an easy coral to grow ,but 2 of the three frags did not make it :(.Mother colony is doing fine .

You're absolutely right, but my corals used to thrive in this tank. I'll test later and see what the numbers are. Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did your test results read?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did your test results read?

Here they are. I last tested on 3/5 so I'm also putting the difference between the two:

pH: 7.9 (+.1)
temp: 77f (-2 but I tested with lights out in the am)
Phosphates: 0.07 ppm (+0.04)
Nitrates: 10ppm (+5ppm)
Mg: 1380ppm (same)
Ca: 490ppm (same)
SG: 1.024 (same)
Alk: 172ppm (same)

How are these numbers even possible? It's been 17 days since a water change and absolutely nothing has been depleted. I didn't add any supplements at all. I fed the coral twice a week with reef roids, so that's probably what drove up the nitrates and maybe the phosphates. So, if my numbers are basically stable, why are all of my LPS dying? The lobo is gone, the acan it on its way out and the favia seems ok but may be receding a little. This makes absolutely no sense. The only thing I can think of is that I let the phosphates get out of control after I lost the coral and had all the algae problems and now the rocks or sand are leaching phosphate back into the water. I have purigen and Phosguard in the sump. It's almost as if there's something toxic in the water but I can't figure out what. The peppermint shrimp and blue legged hermits are fine. There is some fuzzy green algae on the rocks. I never had that before the tank crashed. I've left it alone until today. I brushed it off with a toothbrush and once the water clears, I'll clean the sponges and do a 1g water change. I've had this tank setup for over 5 years and I'd hate to start over, but it seems that the system has never recovered. Should I break the tank down at this point and start over with new live rock and sand? I just don't know what else to do.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if I need to break down the tank, I'd be glad to give someone in Miami the acan and favia. If someone has a quarantine tank I think they'd recover and of course you could keep them. They're small frags.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your RO water ? It might not be your tank . I make my own and I`m always checking the TDS and see If there`s a problem there first . How long has the Phosgard been in the tank . It can leach phosphate back into the water . I like GFO better for that Job. I can rescue your coral s till you get things in order. You know tomorrow night is a FMAS meeting at 7:00 PM , Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center ,Dania Beach. 8000 ocean Dr.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it at Strictly Fish, and they've always been on top of things. I can buy a TDS monitor to check. The Phosguard is only a few weeks old. I hadn't thought about the water. Thanks so much for offering to take care of my coral! I can't make it up to Fort Lauderdale tonight but I could meet up with you this weekend. Thanks again!

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't give up ,I have gone through all kinds of stuff with my tanks . the one that`s the cause of the problems is my 65gal tank ! the oldest one and still here ! set up in 91 and still running in the same spot in the living room, but 2005 I put a new tank with all the same rock and sand . I had a brissal worm out break which took weeks to get rid of them . then was the green hair algae problem .After that a very bad case of Bubble algae which covered all the corals .The fix for that was the fox face . But before the fish I spent days with WC`s to siphon out all the bubble algae . Then there was the center brace spilt due to the 8 P/C `s I had for lighting . I was lucky the time bomb did not explode or the great flood would have happened :). Home depot saved the day there !Used a big clamp and glued a piece of glass for the center brace. Then there was the fire !!! not once but twice ! Lucky I was home in the morning both days ! I learned never use those Chinese made 6 plug sockets! they get hot and short ! Now I have a smoke detector on the back of my tank just incase . That was two years ago . The tank is still running. SO DONT GIVE UP. your parameters look fine ,take a deep breath and take on step at a time .

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it at Strictly Fish, and they've always been on top of things. I can buy a TDS monitor to check. The Phosguard is only a few weeks old. I hadn't thought about the water. Thanks so much for offering to take care of my coral! I can't make it up to Fort Lauderdale tonight but I could meet up with you this weekend. Thanks again!

It`s March 24 th Tuesday

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few additions. I got three nerith snails, the kind that shake off the crabs and can right themselves if they tip over. I also got two baby clownfish and a baby red starfish. Here's the pics:
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427139276.694276.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427139298.886926.jpg

I love them!!! I'm also going to turn up the lights a little to see if that helps the corals. I've had them on 6 hours blue only for a few weeks and I'm adding 3-4 hrs of about 40% white to see if that helps. Does this sound like a good plan?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think it's nerite snails I have. Their shells are striped and their bodies are black. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another correction. I check my invertebrate book and it seems I have an orange starfish, not a red one. The LFS said it would stay small but after reading a bit, I'm not so sure. I may be up for a trade if it outgrows my tank!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be safe, I checked the ammonia and it's zero.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 15% white first then next week go to 20% white . I always set at 20%white and 40%blue 40% white might burn the corals

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 15% white first then next week go to 20% white . I always set at 20%white and 40%blue 40% white might burn the corals

Ok. I have a short in my dimmer switch so I'm having trouble knowing how high the white is. I really need to install my driver so I can know for sure.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back