Corals in a 20g nano, no dosing required?

jdwilson4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Im looking to downsize from my present 65 gallon tank, I would like to downsize to a 20 gallon nano tank. My issue is I only want to do weekly water changes (50-75% water change) which corals can i keep in the 20 that wont also require dosing or supplements? the salt mix i use is redsea coral pro salt. thanks

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well If you go with soft corals you won't need to dose, but I would choose a different salt. RSCP is a very high cal and alk salt, so if you're changing 50-75% per week you will likely end up with very high levels and possibly even precipitate calcium if it gets too high.

If you plan on keeping stony corals I would forget about going this route as they are going to get hit with a big alk shock every time you change the water and likely suffer. The key to thriving stony's is consistency.

So, to answer your question, I would suggest soft corals and a cheaper salt with parameters that mix up within natural sea water levels.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be ok also on not so demanding LPS- Euphyllias. I do not dose. 20% water changes every two weeks and 1 gal topoff weekly on standard 29g, Instant Ocean reef crystals.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wc 5g every week on my biocube 29 with red sea pro salt,dont have any problem
zoas,shroom & lps

OP
OP
J

jdwilson4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the replys everyone, as a said note does anybody know how much ca snails and various invertebrates use? i understand its probably negligible but i have alot of snails and hermits

cheezefrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 29g Biocube w/ custom sump (7g) up about 3 years now, have a variety of everything, largest mother colonies are green polys and a favia brain. Mostly everything else is grouped with around 25-30 frag segments ranging in size. In about the last 6 months, even moving over to RC salt, I've had to start dosing daily, my weekly 5g water changes wouldn't do it anymore. However, not sure if my dosing is needed because of consumption or evaporation/top-off. Seeing about 1 dKH decline in roughly 3 days. Calcium seems to also be dropping at about the same rate of 21ppm per 1dKH of alk or w/e the ratio is, and magnesium is getting dosed with 4mL every 3 days.

I hooked up a jeabo w/ ESV 2 part really, about 3 weeks in so no comment yet, other than all my corals/frags are getting ridiculous growth and color with Steve's LEDS.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back