Setting Up Nuvo 10G - Help! Need advice

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nuvo 10 will be here Friday. I currently have a Red Sea 650 liter system at home and I am looking forward to adding a nano at my office. My goal is to go with all SPS corals with 1 fish a midas blenny and a very small cuc. Looking to use Red Sea Pro salt and do 2 one gallon water changes a week to help maintain magnesium, Alkalinity, and Calcium. I will be taking live rock, live sand, and water from my current system to help cycle it.

I am looking for advice on what extras to add. I am also looking for a skimmer and I am not sure on which one. I am a big fan of intank media racks and will add this for sure. I look forward to hearing from yall. I'm looking at adding the following

1Apex Gold

1Boyd Chemi Pure Blue 5.5oz

1Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152

1Kessil Ocean Blue (15K) A150W 32W LED Fixture

1Seachem Purigen 100mL in Bag

1Innovative Marine inTank Nuvo 4/10/16/20 Media Basket

1Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200 Powerhead/Pump

1Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Aquarium Heater w/ LED Display

1Innovative Marine Spin Stream - Return Nozzle

1AquaCrylics Double Probe Holder

1Innovative Marine MiniMax All-In-One Media Reactor - DeskTop

1Kessil LED Light Pendant Gooseneck Clamp/Mount

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on doing that many water changes a week, a skimmer is not really needed. I also can personally test that I dislike the skimmers that use airstones with a passion. They just seem to not work like they are intended to.

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx

That is great advise. I will start without one and try it. How did the rest of the equipment list looks. Thank you

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the equipment there is not really needed.. a Kessil is a great light. I have that over my 5 gal tank and it is growing everything like crazy. Seachem products are nice, but really not needed with proper testing of the water.the media reactor is also an added thing you can play with at a later time then right now. I have never dosed my tank or have used a reactor. All three Banos I have get a 1 - 2 gallon change every week and all is great. I care for Sps, Lps, nems, softies, and fish in all my tanks.

Barryrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 7 gallon AIO tank at the office for almost two years. It was nice but it did get old after awhile bringing in the water. The ATO is a must. One of my problems was that the building air would only run during working hours so there would be a pretty decent temp swing, especially over the weekend. Everyone in the office did enjoy it though.

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the IT business so our office always stays cool, sometimes too cool. Tank comes tomorrow. Getting excited.

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked my tank. Water testing tomorrow. Going to take rock from my current sump, current tank black sand, and current tank water to set the tank up. Hopefully adding corals in 2 weeks. Kessil will be in Wednesday and Apex on next Monday. Pics coming soon.

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my 6 and 4 year old daughters this exact aquarium for their birthday two months ago (my wife says that I am projecting my hobby on them... and she is correct).

We are currently running the IM Skkye 8 watt LED, a heater, the Tunze top-off you listed, and I swapped out the stock return pump with a Sicce model.

Right now, they only have 1 SPS frag, a few LPS, and some zoos. There are two fish - a small Ocellaris clown + yasha goby.

I have been changing 1.5 - 2 gal a week and, so far, everything is running well. I still need to dose CA / ALK here and there to keep the parameters in line.

My thoughts:
- The stock light is keeping things alive, but the color spectrum leaves a lot to be desired. I have been looking for something better that is not overkill on that size of a tank. I am interested to see how the Kessil works out for you.

- IM sells a "Ghost" skimmer, but there is not much room back there. If you are doing a top-off and a heater then I would venture to say that there isn't room for a skimmer.

- I would go with the smallest form factor powerhead that you can find.

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep you posted on my progress. Do you have any photos of your kids tank?

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two pics. Please pardon the poor cell phone quality (colors are overly yellow / washed out).

2015-04-01 - Girl's Tank 1.jpg
2015-04-01 - Girl's Tank 2.jpg

vuqchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little algae from over feeding new fish and I need to change out the filter bags :)

vuqchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add that if you're going all out with Apex Gold, then get the Kessil A160WE. You can control the intensity better with the 160WE vs the non controllable 150W. The reason is that the tank is only 12" so the 150W at full blast might be too strong for some corals. Just my opinion

OP
OP
TripleT

TripleT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting the Apex gold on my big tank at home and bringing my old Apex to the office. I am getting the 160. Thank you for the advice and both y'all tanks look great.

Back