My 9 year old 12g AquaPod

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Starting to get back into reefing and thought I'd post some updates to my 12g AquaPod that I started back in 2006. Unfortunately there was a 2 week power outage in 2008 that killed most of my high end corals while I was out of state but the tank lives on. :)

The lighting is a 70w XM 20000K HQI bulb and I use ESV B-Ionic Seawater Mix tweaked a bit so I don't need to do any dosing. I target feed all corals every other night with Cyclop-Eeze.
Older pics can be seen here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/2135-jons-12g-aquapod.html
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/9950-some-random-tank-pics.html
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/13128-finally-got-pics-devastation.html

IMG_6185.jpg

IMG_6186.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

Jon

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread literally made me smile!

JON DUDE! Welcome back man it has been a long time! Man glad to see you.

That nano looks awesome!! I love those fatty acans in there!

1Snapple

3g Picotope
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a bigger tank ;] looks great man, I would hate to see you try to add another coral in there.
How big were most of those frags when you got them?

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me, I would love a bigger tank...especially with all the crazy Chalices and LPS available now. ;)

Most of the aussie acans were 3-4 polyps when I got them, back when Australian coral first hit the US market and the Duncan was 2 or 3 polyps. The red micro under the duncan was a single polyp and so was the orange echinata. The Cyphastrea was a 1"x1" square and never colored up until I switched to ESV salt a year or two ago. The only zoa to survive the power outage was a single polyp of Original Safecrackers and it's now up to about 20-30 polyps.

I don't run the high light or high flow to keep PEs and Armageddons anymore, but am hoping to come across a cheap frag of Purple Deaths one of these days.

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet tank Jon. *THUMPS UP* & *HIGH FIVE* if i lived close enough id hook you up with some purple deaths. :) And thx to this thread i learned something new. i was gonna go w/ d&d salt. but ive heard so much good things from friends that use b-Ionic steps 1&2, but i never knew the made salt *jumps for joy* went and bought 200g from MD im trying to avoid the whole dosing thing too since my tank is only a 14g and i dont want my lvs jumping all over the place. I do weekly 1-2g water changes. what other things are you currently doing. as for my lights i still have my stock BC hood on but w/ Cree leds.

Last edited:

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is INCREDIBLE!!

Seriously that thing is packed to the gills and looks really fantastic!!
Plus it also looks like someone was bit HARD by the ACAN bug!! LOL

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brazilian_guy
You will love ESV's salt mix. I highly recommend using a digital scale to measure out the ingredients so each batch is identical and the corals don't bat an eye after a water change. As a good starting point, here's the proportions ESV gives and the proportions I use:

ESV Directions:
1 gallon water
91 grams Sodium Chloride
25 grams Magnesium Sulfate
49 grams Part A
21 grams Part B

I use:
1 gallon water
91 grams Sodium Chloride
29.5 grams Magnesium Sulfate
52 grams Part A
24 grams Part B

The only maintenance I do is feeding, top offs, and a 4 gallon water change every week or so. I use distilled water from the grocery store since I haven't spent the money to get an RO/DI system and don't see the spare money coming anytime soon.

My parameters stay a very steady 1.025, 8.3pH, 9GH, 3.2 meq/L, 450Ca, & 1360Mg at 75 degrees F.

In the rear chambers I have:
1st: Wadded up Tulle from the fabric dept of Walmart (bridal veil material). It's cheap, good at catching debris, and replaced every couple waterchanges
2nd: Live rock rubble
3rd: Heater
4th: MaxiJet 900

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
91 grams Sodium Chloride
29.5 grams Magnesium Sulfate

So the salt is in two parts.... Then what do you use for those two extra ingredients and what are their brands

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the 200g it has all four ingredients. It comes in two boxes, the first box is just Sodium Chloride and the second is Magnesium Sulfate, 2 jugs of A and 1 of B

brazilian_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jon a quick question. now i know you have a 12g. and that you do a 4g h20 change every week or soo.. but with all the coral and sand and water. how much water is actually in there.. for my tank i have a 14 and if i was to get all the water out of it id prob have 6-7 gl of water. so im assuming your is around the same area if you were to drain all your water. LONG story short. so you do a 50% water change or so? im gonna do my water change tomorrow but im only gonna do 3gl. wont it be to much of a swing in the tank to do a 50% change every week?

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My total water volume is about 8 gallons which is why I usually do 4 gallon water changes. When I first switched to ESV I drained my tank and refilled with fresh mixed ESV(I was battling a case of neglected tank syndrome). The temperatures of the tank and new water were the same and nothing showed any stress that I remember. Since then I've always done at least 50% changes because I target feed a LOT of cyclopeeze every other day. Algae gets out of hand if I don't. As long as the new ESV water is the same temperature as my tank the corals and clownfish never show any stress at all.

You should be completely fine with 2-3g changes.

Since with the ESV I can make every batch identical to the one before with a digital scale, the only difference between new water and tank water is the nutrients removed and Ca/Mg/Alk replaced...less of a swing than if I were dosing and parameters stay at optimal levels.

Hope this helps.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back