Dual skimmer recommendation?

emeraldeyes_bc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone recommend a good skimmer that would work both as a HOB and transfer to in sump?? (For 20g) If there is one??
I do plan on building a sump, but I'm not quite there yet. I would like to get a skimmer, but I'm in no position to buy two separate skimmers for when I eventually get my sump set up. Is there a good one that will work for both?? Or should I just deal without until I can get a sump built?? (Not sure exactly how long that will be yet)

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, you could get an HOB for your dt and then when you get the sump built just use it as an HOB on the sump as well. Just bc you have a sump doesn't mean you have to put the skimmer inside it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

scamp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a coralife skimmer that worked pretty well. little loud when hob but silent when I put it in the sump. didn't cost a lot of dough. used it for 2yrs with no real issues.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Super skimmers are very cheap and work pretty good for such a vague company. There are of course better ones by companies more focused on filtration than the big brands. But they cost more. For the money the super skimmer was very effective and once I had a sump with constant water level it never flooded. Just watch the Evap or you will be cleaning water poo out of the floor for ever. And then cleaning whatever you cleaned that with and so on. The stink just transfers.

OP
OP
emeraldeyes_bc

emeraldeyes_bc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks :)
The coralife was the only one i had found in any searches but the reviews weren't very good so I wasn't sure.

OP
OP
emeraldeyes_bc

emeraldeyes_bc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Sorry, can't see a way to edit post??)

Forgot to add, if I was to get a HOB that I was going to use as a HOB in a sump, what skimmer would you suggest?? I'm probably going to make a 10-20g sump for my 20g DT (unless I find a fantastic deal on a new DT on Craigslist lol i'm always looking)

Feivel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus bh1000 for up to 75g tank is a descent hob skimmer at a good price used. I was using one for two years. The better skimmers are in sump. But the HOB does do the trick.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back