Im New to SW tanks. Never had one b4. I need help!!!!

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to setup a 125 gallon FOWLR tank.

Only thing that i am sure of buy is a Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer. Haha i am planning to do a sump underneath of 40gallon long and idk how i need to set it up as in overflow box and what size overflow to get as well as return pumps to return the water back into the tank. I want to do a refugium inside the sump. Can any one help me out on what i should buy and how big i should get it? For example... I need powerheads. Should i get 2 powerheads rated for a 75 gallon that circulates 750gph or a 125gallon rated powerhead... and so on and so forth... thanks for all who help me out! -Taylor

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out your local forums to see if anyone can help you drill your tank. a drilled tank is better than a hang-on overflow, which can fail on you and cause a flood. you can check out youtube for DIY 40 breeder sumps. melevsreef.com also has sump designs you can research. do as much research as possible, so you don't have to redo things later on, will save you the headache of that. get the biggest skimmer you can that will fit in your sump, they work better and save you a ton of money if you deside to upgrade later on. Local forum is the key, you can get someone local to actually come by and personally coach you. obviously find someone with good reputation :)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR tanks are not too hard, a UV sterilizer helps, as well as a skimmer and a fuge. Instant ocean salt is pretty good, I would not worry too much about a fuge, that is mostly for phosphate removal.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! With a 125 Fish only tank I would go with several pumps rated in the 500ish range. A good less expensive pump is Karalia (SP?) they make all different kinds. I think the best thing to do would be to make sure you dont have any dead spots (little to no flow) in your tank. These dead spots can build up fish waste and uneaten food, which cause an ammonia spike.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!! Welcome to R2R, and the hobby!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
19-1.gif

Welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r some good advice has been given. hoping to see some pics as your build comes along

LGangway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! There is tons of information on the site for building your tank and system. Best advise I can give you, take your time and do things right the first time.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to r2r!!! I can't wait to see how your build progresses. My best bit of advice is to research all of your planned purchases thoroughly before committing. There are many ways to do things in this hobby, but it is up to you to determine what is best for your system.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R remember saltwater is a marathon not a race and read as much as possible you have came to the right place it's full of good people and info Happy Reefing

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. I agree with the above, drilled is better if possible. The in180 will be a good skimmer for you. I'd say go with a couple tunze powerheads for flow, and as Loki mentioned you don't want any dead spots so i'd put 1 at midtank level and one a little higher to keep the top circulated to your overflow to go to your skimmer. Good luck!

OP
OP
TaylorLee

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyones help! Ill do exactly what you guys have advised. But im still a little sure on my return pump for my sump. Quite frankly, i dont really know what a return pump is :/.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site, I would recommend your going with the best equipment you could afford.that way you probably only spend once. Eheim and Tunze make very good return pumps that would work for you.

OP
OP
TaylorLee

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TaylorLee

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided ill go with the Vertex IN-180 Skimmer as well as a Tunze silence 1073.020 (634gph) return pump and i decided to go with a 13 watt uv sterilizer.
here is the link to the product ALL NEW 2013 150 GALLON AQUARIUM SUBMERSIBLE 13W UV STERILIZER w/ BUILT-IN PUMP | eBay

Let me know every1s feedback on my choices :) Thanks! Update as well. I decided with 2x Hydor Koralia 3 Controllable Pump/Powerhead 12V LV 370-950 GPH.

Let me know how im doing so far on the items i have chosen

OP
OP
TaylorLee

TaylorLee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the build!

2x Koralia 1400 powerheads
Vertex IN-180 Protein skimmer
Eheim 1260 Universal pump (Return)
Eshopps PF-800 Overflow HOB
13W UV Sterilizer
40 Gallon Long Sump with Refugium
Fluval 300 Digital Heater

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back