removing deep sand bed from refugium/sump

jomatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my tank used from a lady who had it set up by a well respected local company. In the sump they employed a refugium section with a deep sand bed. This makes me nervous because sometimes the flow moves the sand around and just because I am in general a worrier and deep sand beds seem like they can be a problem down the road. I would like to use miracle mud in my refugium.

How would I go about removing the deep sand bed without risking a nitrate/ammonia spike? Should I just leave it alone? If I am going to just leave it alone should I disturb small areas of it every week or two to keep it from building up any surprises?

Thanks for any info

OP
OP
J

jomatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question...does anyone have any experience with miracle mud? I have seen some videos of leng's and mike paletta's systems that make a compelling argument for it but have no firsthand experience. I would be running it with a skimmer like mike paletta does.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the system yet or do you need to move it still? It sounds like you'll have to remove it regardless because I don't think you'll be able to move the sump with the sand in it. Just separate it from the system, remove everything, clean it out well, then hook it back. I would definitely ditch the DSB, it's a matter of preference though..

OP
OP
J

jomatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What seems so bad that you would be surprised that anything is still living? It is not that unusual of a setup. The tank is up and running and is testing good on all parameters. I've moved it about 2 months ago. If. I had it to do over aga in I would have cleaned out the sandbed when I moved it

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may see a small cycle after removing the bed. Shouldnt be a problem though. I would shut down the sump and completly empty all water/sand. Give the entire sump a good cleaning. then put it back online with new water. Basically a big water change. You don't want any of that water in the DT.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DSB fuge, it does not worry me at all. I clean 1/4 of it a year. If you want it gone though ^ that person has it right. Close the valves drain all the water scoop it out, scrub down the sides, refill, open valves, yer done!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back