Welcome to Reef Forum R2R
+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member jomatty is on a distinguished road

removing deep sand bed from refugium/sump

I purchased my tank used from a lady who had it set up by a well respected local company. In the sump they employed a refugium section with a deep sand bed. This makes me nervous because sometimes the flow moves the sand around and just because I am in general a worrier and deep sand beds seem like they can be a problem down the road. I would like to use miracle mud in my refugium.

How would I go about removing the deep sand bed without risking a nitrate/ammonia spike? Should I just leave it alone? If I am going to just leave it alone should I disturb small areas of it every week or two to keep it from building up any surprises?

Thanks for any info

One more question...does anyone have any experience with miracle mud? I have seen some videos of leng's and mike paletta's systems that make a compelling argument for it but have no firsthand experience. I would be running it with a skimmer like mike paletta does.

Registered Member that novice guy is on a distinguished road
    Wow man your in a bad situation is their anything alive in your tank
    My parents once asked me what my problem was and i said FISH

Registered Member -Logzor is on a distinguished road
    Do you have the system yet or do you need to move it still? It sounds like you'll have to remove it regardless because I don't think you'll be able to move the sump with the sand in it. Just separate it from the system, remove everything, clean it out well, then hook it back. I would definitely ditch the DSB, it's a matter of preference though..

What seems so bad that you would be surprised that anything is still living? It is not that unusual of a setup. The tank is up and running and is testing good on all parameters. I've moved it about 2 months ago. If. I had it to do over aga in I would have cleaned out the sandbed when I moved it

Registered Member jgraz is on a distinguished road
    You may see a small cycle after removing the bed. Shouldnt be a problem though. I would shut down the sump and completly empty all water/sand. Give the entire sump a good cleaning. then put it back online with new water. Basically a big water change. You don't want any of that water in the DT.

Registered Member
    Raggamuffin is on a distinguished road
    I have a DSB fuge, it does not worry me at all. I clean 1/4 of it a year. If you want it gone though ^ that person has it right. Close the valves drain all the water scoop it out, scrub down the sides, refill, open valves, yer done!