Run a trickle filter into a Refugium to reduce nitrates?

modifyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 155 gal bowfront and would like to do a mixed reef with lots of fish. I have a wet/dry set up now with the Bio-Balls. Now I keep reading about how evil the Bio-Balls are but how great they convert Amonia to nitrate.
If I run from the wet/dry into a refugium would that work for the nitrate problem? If so how large of a refugium would I need? Or is there another way to remove the nitates? Should I just convert the wetdry and how would I do that. I'm assuming that a mixed reef with lots of fish has a heavy bio load so I will use a skimmer(not sure what one yet) as well as about 100-150Lbs of live rock.
Before I forget, I would like to do a DSb in the fuge also and was wondering what is the best protien skimmer for the least money spent for a tank like mine?

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want lots of fish BIGGER is better The RDSB should be a big as you have room for. I would say for the money the octopus skimmer is a good one. I wouldn't use bio balls. The live rock will be more than good enough for converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. I would covvert the wet dry with a filter sock if you can.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i would def. get rid of the bio balls. i had the same thing and had high nitrates but really didnt want to change everything so i just kept trying to battle with water changes but didnt workl. so finally i decided to change the sump setup. we cut out a portion of the inner wall that held in the bio balls and removed them all. gosh it was yucky! :) then the tray that is above the bio ball area that held the sponge we cut a hole in it with the drimmel to accomodate the bag. it is working great ! my nitrates used to be INSANE and now running around 10. so that shows its working !
just make sure you cut down the side wall enough that you can pull the tray out to the side and get the bag out to change them out. anyways heres a couple pics before and after.... if you look closely you can see how far we cut the inner wall down to aid in removing the bag.

DSC01890.jpg

DSC02108.jpg

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you are going to keep a mixed reef that big, you'll have problems with the trickle w/d filter. I'd pitch it and the bio balls. You can very easily run a nice reef system with Live rock, some sand (personally I don't think sand beds are all they are cracked up to be if you have enough LR), and a quality skimmer. Staying on top of water changes with RO/DI water and a quality salt mix will keep that reef looking pristine.

If you stick with what you've got, I think sooner or later problem algae is gonna get the better of you. I'd hate to see you have a hard time.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I wish ya the best.

OP
OP
M

modifyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the Bio ball are going the way of the dodo and I'll try to get the largest tank under the stand I can. Any one care to inform this newb to a great skimmer that I could find used? I was thinking of just buying a reasonably priced skimmer rated for 300gal.(that's double the size of my tank)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back