Any Nitrate filter recommended ? What about RO filter?

RibbonFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I am sick of my tank water with high nitrate. I try to reduce but only by changing wather, which is time consuming?
Is there any filter that will help to reduce nitrate?

Also, I do not want to use tap water any more since I have coral in my tank. What RO filter I should buy? Recommendation?

I bought seaclone skimmer without asking experienced ppl, now it became a disaster. Thus, I want to have opinions first.

Thanks all in advance.

Mike

Mr tooheys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a nitrate reactor,I brought my self a reef octopus 1000 filled it with bio spheres which reduce nitrates plus phosphates but sorry to say you still got to perform water changes monthly

CKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, mine wouldnt even change with water changes. I started with Vodka dosing and its great! My nitrates were 160+ppm ... now they are less than 5ppm

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure your ro is at least 4 stage with a di unit and you should be ok.

Make sure your tap pressure is high too or you will need a booster pump.

As far as nitrates I can't really help as I'm going through my own problems.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure, best in the business and they have some factory refurbished 90 GPD high rejection rate RO/DI systems on sale for $130 right now.
www.spectrapure.com .

Just like everything else, there are many levels of quality with RO/DI nd they are not all the same or even close. Look at what is in each of the stages, not how many there are. 4, 5, 6 or 7 mediocre stages could be worse than three good ones.

Last edited:

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need more info. tanks size, how many and size of fish, how much you feed, etc. you need to figure out why you have high nitrates. r/o is the way to go but won't help with nitrates. how much water are you changing. to get high nitrates down you need to do large wc's until they are where you want them. get a good skimmer, either hob or in sump. water changes are a part of the hobby. I have a 120 gal. and it takes me about 30 min. to change 15%.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I am sick of my tank water with high nitrate. I try to reduce but only by changing wather, which is time consuming?
Is there any filter that will help to reduce nitrate?

Also, I do not want to use tap water any more since I have coral in my tank. What RO filter I should buy? Recommendation?

I bought seaclone skimmer without asking experienced ppl, now it became a disaster. Thus, I want to have opinions first.

Thanks all in advance.

Mike

Try shutting off your filter when feeding for about 20min. It will work to some extent but not a lot, plus your fish will get more food then your filters.
Orca nitra-guard cubes are pricy but they work good

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back