Sump help

SoggyBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i have a 15 gal high tank cycling right now and i am wondering if it is possible to install a sump. If so, what size tank should i get for the sump and how should i go about setting it up or designing it? Any information will help.

wuuzzzuuppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize drilling it is ideal, but you dont have to. Put an overflow and and a return line. It's the simple way. Maybe not as classy or nice looking but it works!

OP
OP
S

SoggyBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I am going to get some sort of overflow box. So now my question is about the design of the sump. How many baffles should I have? What goes is what compartment? Any help with that is appreciated. Thanks!

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a 5 but you will be cramped on space and the more water capacity, the better. You also need to make sure that your pump will fit in. The compartment that the main tank drains into should hold the protein skimmer. 2 baffles, then another chamber, usually a refugium/algae scrubber. Some people stick with 2, I prefer 3, and the third holds the pump. You can go as large as you want with the sump. Even bigger than the main tank if you feel like it.

OP
OP
S

SoggyBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A five gallon is all that I have room for. Would there be enough room to have 3 chambers in a tank that small?

wuuzzzuuppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A five gallon is all that I have room for. Would there be enough room to have 3 chambers in a tank that small?

Get everything you plan to put in it and go from there. Are you putting a skimmer in it? Are you putting a refugium/algae scrubber in it? Filter sock? Once you know what you want in it then you can do a mock up and see how it will all fit.

OP
OP
S

SoggyBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a filter sock, skimmer, heater and if possible, a refugium. My question is how do I design the sump? Or how do I do the layout? And what goes where?

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to run at a very low level. I'm not sure it's even worth putting a 5gal sump in IMO.

wuuzzzuuppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well one way to do it is have a chamber for your sock where the tank overflows in to through the triple baffles (to get air bubbles out) into the refugium in the middle so all the water flows through your good algae then another set of baffles and the return pump in the last chamber. The heater can go any where as long as it's not jammed against something. Your skimmer will put a lot of air in the water so you want it to dump into the sump before one set of baffles to get the air bubbles out before going back into the display unless you like lots of bubbles in it lol. You could but it in the first if it will fit or in the third but just put the discharge into the middle part of the sump.

OP
OP
S

SoggyBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well one way to do it is have a chamber for your sock where the tank overflows in to through the triple baffles (to get air bubbles out) into the refugium in the middle so all the water flows through your good algae then another set of baffles and the return pump in the last chamber. The heater can go any where as long as it's not jammed against something. Your skimmer will put a lot of air in the water so you want it to dump into the sump before one set of baffles to get the air bubbles out before going back into the display unless you like lots of bubbles in it lol. You could but it in the first if it will fit or in the third but just put the discharge into the middle part of the sump.

Ok thank you! That gives me a better idea of what goes where. I'll try and draw something up tomorrow and see what I come up with. Do I put anything for filtration in a sump?

wuuzzzuuppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have at least 1lb of live rock per gallon in your display. Your algae will help filter the nitrates. Your sock will collect particles in the water but make sure to clean them out like weekly. Running them through the wash machine works awesome and reuse them. Just run the washer empty once before you put them in there to get any left over soap out. You can put some live rock rubble in the some for some extra bio filtration, but some people dont like it there. Up to you. You can throw some carbon in a mesh bag and throw it in the sump in a high flow area or get a phosphate reactor to run carbon or some sort of phosphate sponge.

I have one of these and they work fine. you'll have to get a pump too. Two Little Fishies GFO Phosban Reactor

OP
OP
S

SoggyBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright this is good stuff! Exactly the answers I've been looking for. So now, what are the benefits of a refugium? Sorry for all the questions

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back