short Cycle? Advice please!

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing tons of research on cycling and I understand it's different from tank to tank and that this topic has probably been beat to death. Here is my scenario, please let me know what you all think! I have a 65 Gallon tank with about a 10 gallon sump.

- I purchased 40 lbs of cured live rock from a friend from an established tank, my tank wasn't filled fully yet with saltwater so I transferred the rock into a brute container with a heater and circulation where it sat for about 1.5-2 weeks.
- I added it all to my tank and added another 20-25 lbs of liverock from my LFS immediately(transferred wrapped in wet paper towels for 20 min drive). I am not sure if it was "cured" but the pieces did have noticeable life on them.
- The tank sat about a week and a half where all levels were perfect(I believe I saw a small spike in ammonia 1 day?)
- I may have rushed things but I added a Chromis who has seemed to be perfectly happy for about 5 days now.
- Water tested over the last few days with everything perfect still. I've had the lights cycling on and off and have noticed some of the rock turning brown (diatom bloom from what I read?)

I'm getting mixed info from my friends on whether to proceed with a small cleanup crew or an additional fish or two.

As always, thanks for taking the time to help!

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add anything else before your tank was stable for another couple weeks. Just my .02 cents

Edit : Just re-read the post and noticed you already tested and everything was fine. I haven't heard of a tank cycling in a week and half but maybe it can happen!

Last edited:

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your prob fine to add more fish but qt them first. At least for 2 weeks

OP
OP
C

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested this morning with all levels being perfect. PH was around 8.2 and all other levels 0. What about at least a few CUC?

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't buy CuC until there is plenty for them to eat. Otherwise snails and other herbavores will just die.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not buy a couple of snails and see how they do? I would, even some shrimp, you feed them so they will live if your tank is ok

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some hermits.

OP
OP
C

caseytatum44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're tank is fine. I wouldn't go crazy with adding stuff, but adding another fish or two is perfectly fine.

Thanks for the advice, your username is appropriate :smile: I went ahead and picked up a few hermits yesterday, they went right to cruising around cleaning.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back