Some more start up questions

antsbumblebee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, more newbie questions for you lovely folks!

So I'm making some solid choices as to how I want to set up my tank and I know for sure I want to start with dry rock buuuut I'm a little confused about a few things;
1. Can I let it turn live in my tank? I'm pretty sure I can but looking around at all the resources online it seems like I should be putting it in its own area in some water with an aerator. I'm guessing this more of a thing for established tanks but just want to double check!

2. Would it be easier to just have a mix of live and dry rock? I'd be ok with that, also i'd be happy just using some bio spira. I'm willing to be patient.

3. I bought live sand and dry sand at the recommendation from the LFS, I've been reading that live sand should be added once the tank is established? Also wondering about once the dry sand is added, should I wait like a day or whatever to turn the filter system on?

Sorry for all my silly questions just I want to make sure my tanks a success :) Thanks!

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Dry rock is best when starting a new tank. But it comes down to choice, really. You don't have to deal with hitchhikers and the live critters won't die through cycling. Some live, most do not. Dry rock will become "live" rock during the cycle when bacteria makes it home. It certainly is cheaper. Which is always a plus considering how everything else costs.

2. You can do that. Seed rock or seed sand will do the same. Water isn't ideal since the water column doesn't carry any significant bacteria. Be patient, let nature takes it course. The more patient you are, the better your success.

3. You can run the power heads during cycle, but it's not ideal to run filtration during cycle. You would be wasting a good product and the nitrogen cycle needs to do it's thing. It is my opinion that you do not want to hinder that process.

Don't apologize for asking questions. We all start somewhere and the more questions you ask, the more you learn, and the better off you'll be.

DChen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great questions. I also wonder though, even if your filter is on why your cycling will it ruin things? I took my filter out the other day because someone told me not to put it in. Is it too late?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my last/present tank with dry pukani, curing it in a bin for two weeks.
I added my live sand together with the new cured rock.
My new build I'm not going to waste the bin and will be curing my new base rock right in tank. After 2 weeks of curing I'll begin dosing my live bacteria. Thus cycling my tank. Should be ready in a week or two. I take the patient road :)

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nana,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't cured rock live bacteria? why do you need to dose live bacteria.

just put the total amount of rock you need in the tank, wait 2-4 wks and you will have the live bacteria you need.

OP
OP
A

antsbumblebee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it not start cycling while the rock is curing?

I mean, what NC2WA says is what I've read while researching but I also don't have the experince

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this thread, as I too, am curious about installing carbon filters while cycling, because I have mine in there too and my tank has been on for about a month.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumblebee,

I have been in the hobby 20yrs and old fashion..when I start a tank, I don't add shrimp or instant bacteria from a bottle...I add my rock, sand and let time do its thing...I DO check ammonia,nitrite, and nitrates level weekly and chart the levels...

OP
OP
A

antsbumblebee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, if that will work and it just takes patience NC2WA I will definitely do that :)

But just going to ask again about the live sand? Can I add it in with the dry or should I wait a cycle? Also kind of curious how long it takes you for your rock to become live if you don't mind my nosing!

Thanks so much for your help guys!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nana,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't cured rock live bacteria? why do you need to dose live bacteria.

just put the total amount of rock you need in the tank, wait 2-4 wks and you will have the live bacteria you need.

I use the live bacteria for the same reason you add a piece of Live Rock or a cup of Live Sand. To help seed the tank. It also shortens the cycle period by several weeks.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always added live rock to seed a tank but in recent years like Nana said I added biospira to speed things up a bit and shorten the cycle. Never suffered any I'll effects from doing that.

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no longer any reason to wait months to cycle your tank.

I took that old advice and started cycling with 50 lbs of dry rock, 80 lbs of dry sand, and I added 10 lbs of live rock to seed. After a week of cycling I heard about and read about Dr. Tim's One and Only. I picked up a bottle and dumped it in my tank. After 12 days the cycle was complete and I now have diatoms growing. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.

People say bacteria in a bottle is just snake oil and useless and a waste of money. Well, it worked for me. It sped up the cycle so now I can start adding fish. Now I don't have to stare at an empty tank for 2 months!

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumblebee,

I have been in the hobby 20yrs and old fashion..when I start a tank, I don't add shrimp or instant bacteria from a bottle...I add my rock, sand and let time do its thing...I DO check ammonia,nitrite, and nitrates level weekly and chart the levels...
Instant gratification is the thing now. No room for patience.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant gratification is the thing now. No room for patience.

I beg to differ. It is not just about instant gratification. These products have saved countless fish from unnecessary deaths. Why wait for a process that takes months when the exact same results can be achieved in a couple of weeks? It's called progress! IMO a positive step forward :)

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ. It is not just about instant gratification. These products have saved countless fish from unnecessary deaths. Why wait for a process that takes months when the exact same results can be achieved in a couple of weeks? It's called progress! IMO a positive step forward :)
I didn't say anything about it being ok to use fish for cycling. My comment was in regards to being patient and letting nature take it's course rather than buying bacteria in a bottle. Rushing to get the cycle done, instantly adding fish to the brim, and not letting the tank balance things for itself. That's the problem I see far too many times when people post about their issues. The majority of the issues come from stocking too fast too soon, not having a sufficient CUC when the time is right to add them, and various other things.
The issue currently at hand is the lack of understanding on how cycling works. Some reading on the matter would do OP and others great justice. :D

OP
OP
A

antsbumblebee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that a lot of what I've read agrees with you Jeep, everyone preaches the importance of patience with good reason. It seems to me if you're serious about reefing you should not just understand the terms you should have first hand experience with the biological aspects happening in your tank. Also from what I've read they want you to chuck a fish quite quickly after you set up your tank which is a side thing and I just was curious and thought I'd ask!

DChen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I got 2 maroon clownfish. When i feed them. The female goes to the top of the tank while the male is scared to come all the way up. Before the food even sinks enough for the male to eat the female eats it all. I tried to hand feed it but it doesnt come close enough. Plus i dont want to make a mess in the tank. So sometimes he doesnt get to eat. What can i do to make sure he doesnt starve?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back