36 tank questions

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, setting up a 36 bow but was wondering how many koralia pump would I need and pump size? im just keeping fowlr in that setup. also how many bags of live sand should I get? thanks in advance

Travt2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert by any means (setting up my first tank as we speak) but the guys at 2 of my LFS told me that no more than 2 20lb bags of sand for a 36 bow front and that one powerhead is fine for fish (or, according to one of the guys, fish don't absolutely need a powerhead). I'm going slowly with mine and it will basically be fish only for a while until I really understand water maintenance, have my lights dialed in, etc and I'm starting off with one small powerhead until I figure out where my deadzones are.

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get 1 bag live sand and rest dry sand it'll be cheaper. And I would get 2 450 to make sure deteous is always suspended in water column

OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks , im talking about the koralia pump like powerhead thing. what size koralia should I get?thanks guys

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm disappointed....... was expecting to try and answer 36 questions.....lol Looks like the (2) questions were already well answered.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I forgot one question lolol what kind of light would be nice for the 36? im just doing a fowlr setup. id like a strip light that is led blue not a moon light blue but a light to give a blueish colorpreferrably. any suggestions ? im going with a glass top so something that would set on top. thanks

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since it's a fowlr you really don't need anything special. Just enough to light the tank and maybe show of the fish colors. I def wouldn't spend any more than 200$ on a fixture. But you could always just get a reef radiance DM-155e in case you want to add corals at some point. It's 169$ right now I believe

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the Reef Radiance DM-155 as a viable option and would cover an upgrade to full Reef in the future if desired. They also have smaller less expensive models that would work. Reef Breeders and Reef LED's also Sponsors here would be worth looking into for comparisons or even a DIY fixture through Rapid LED or Steve's LED's.

OK, 3 down 33 to go.......................

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thanks for the help. those look to be pretty awesome lights

OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lololol 33 tank questions to go. what wattage heater do I need? 150 or 200 ? now 32 questions left but ill wait on those for a while

OP
OP
81Shaun

81Shaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks for the help. I tried to edit the topic thing and fix but it wouldn't let me

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back